Pinel Island in last couple of weeks?

patcacmt

Hello - just booked Bernard’s Tours to take us to Pinel Island in a couple of weeks during a port day on the Harmony of the Seas. I’ve been there once before while on a land-based vacation 3 years ago. I’ve seen posts from earlier in the summer. Anyone have any more recent experiences there to share?  

Also, we dock at 7:00, but our Bernard’s meet time is 10:00.  I thought for ships that come in that early, his tours start earlier? (I’ve done his Orient-Maho tour before.)  Could it be his earlier time slot(s) were filled?  I just wondered how long we’d actually have on the island itself. 

The first small ferry/launch to Pinel does not leave until 10 a.m.  It's easy to get a taxi to the ferry at the taxi station near where you will dock but try to be at the ferry dock no later than 9:30 as there will be a lot of people wanting to go over and the next launch doesn't leave for at least a half hour, maybe longer. We have been to Pinel many times and it continues to be our favorite destination when visiting SXM. We will be returning next March. Both beach bar/restaurants are very expensive so be prepared. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

So what exactly is there to do on Pinel Island ?

Swim, snorkel, eat, relax, drink, read a book..... It's pretty lovely. Since you have to take a water taxi to get to it, it's not as busy and you don't get hassled by people trying to sell stuff.

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, caribbean2000 said:

The first small ferry/launch to Pinel does not leave until 10 a.m.  It's easy to get a taxi to the ferry at the taxi station near where you will dock but try to be at the ferry dock no later than 9:30 as there will be a lot of people wanting to go over and the next launch doesn't leave for at least a half hour, maybe longer. We have been to Pinel many times and it continues to be our favorite destination when visiting SXM. We will be returning next March. Both beach bar/restaurants are very expensive so be prepared. 

How do you make sure you have transportation to return to the ship from Pinel Island?  

Well, you do your best to get the taxi driver at the pier near the ship promise to come back and get you at a specific time. Some people withhold payment until he or she does in fact return but I would feel bad doing that. Of the half dozen or so times we've gone, only once did the person not show up at the appointed time but as there are usually a few cruise people wanting to go back to their ship (not necessarily yours, but going to the same pier) and they had a taxi arrive we got in with them and of course split the fare. So, you are taking a *bit* of a chance as there are not usually taxis just hanging around where the small ferry/launch comes in. For safety sake, we always plan to get picked up at least two hours before we are supposed to be back on board.

17 hours ago, caribbean2000 said:

Well, you do your best to get the taxi driver at the pier near the ship promise to come back and get you at a specific time. Some people withhold payment until he or she does in fact return but I would feel bad doing that. Of the half dozen or so times we've gone, only once did the person not show up at the appointed time but as there are usually a few cruise people wanting to go back to their ship (not necessarily yours, but going to the same pier) and they had a taxi arrive we got in with them and of course split the fare. So, you are taking a *bit* of a chance as there are not usually taxis just hanging around where the small ferry/launch comes in. For safety sake, we always plan to get picked up at least two hours before we are supposed to be back on board.

Thanks for your reply.  I found a company that offers port to ferry - ferry to island round trips. I was worried about the return trip. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, LoveTheSoul said:

Carribean paddling.  

They offer Paddleboard and kayak rentals + roundtrip from port.

They also offer just Ferry+Port roundtrip.

We used Caribbean Paddling a few years ago.  We will use them again in September.  Rented two kayaks and paddled over to Pinel.  Taxi was on time to & from the ship.  Good people.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...