Will HAL bump AB pax from HC cabins for HC pax?

etoile

Well I'm not really willing to stick my nose over there, cause it's a volatile subject and nothing is really gained from telling folks how things happen in real life. The truth of the matter is that the crusie liens have no way of flagging "ABs in disbaled cabins" in their computer, so in answer to your question, no they probably won't bump an AB for a disabled passenger -- cause the computer doesnt' know about it. Even if the passenger told the res agent, it doens't matter.

Candy

No cruise line will actually bump anyone from an HC cabin once it is booked.

No matter what an agent may tell you that is the truth of the situation.

While they will ask for any medical information the doctor must know they don't ask many questions and are not legally allowed to inquire if you really need the cabin or not. and they do not keep track of why someone is in a cabin so they do NOT bump anyone from them.

Actually Carnival has twice contacted passengers booked in HC cabins and moved AB passnngers to another cabin so we could have the HC one. However, no other cruise line has ever offered to do so.

I did ask this question of HAL, even though I was booked already in a HC cabin. They said they hold them open til a certain point "last minute" which is who knows what to a cruise line. You can book the room no matter what but then they did require paperwork- detailing your handicap, need to get on/off ship with or without chair/scooter and other questions -sent to the special services office.

Hi, my husband and I are AB, but I lurk here sometimes to educate myself. Too bad more people don't.

I booked my first cruise about a month ago with HAL through an online TA, but did it over the phone. The category stateroom I wanted only had HC cabins available (*I would never book an HC cabin on principle). The TA told me flat out that I couldn't have them unless I was HC, and then I would have to send a letter verifying such.

Now either a) she was wrong, or b) that was the TA's policy, at which point I am curious what is stopping someone like me from sending a letter *lying* and saying that I AM in fact handicapped, since the TA would never know the difference....

Now either a) she was wrong, or b) that was the TA's policy, at which point I am curious what is stopping someone like me from sending a letter *lying* and saying that I AM in fact handicapped, since the TA would never know the difference....

You have an honest TA but there are some who will do whatever they think it will take to get the customer back again.

HCA cabins are released into general inventory 30 days prior to departure.

Anytime before that we are required to fax to special services at all the cruiselines any special needs for our clients.

Yes, passengers who have booked HCA cabins and not needed them have been bumped.

HCA cabins are released into general inventory 30 days prior to departure.

Anytime before that we are required to fax to special services at all the cruiselines any special needs for our clients.

Yes, passengers who have booked HCA cabins and not needed them have been bumped.

Since it sounds like you are a travel agent and not someone that is disabled I will tell you from personal experience I have never been asked to prove that my kids are in wheelchairs and I have requested a cabin that was occupied by an able bodied person because it was their first cruise and their TA thought they would love the extra space and they were not bumped.

I have requested a cabin that was occupied by an able bodied person because it was their first cruise and their TA thought they would love the extra space and they were not bumped.

How revolting. Their TA thought they would love the extra space??? And then they didn't get bumped for you?! :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I JUST dealt with this issue twice, with both Holland America and Norwegian.

Both results were positive.

1) Norwegian: I explained we were already booked in a non-handicap cabin, but hoped to get a handicap cabin in our class even though they were not listed as available. We could survive without one but it's so much less stressful to be able to get a wheelchair entrance to wheel all the way in, and getting into the combo Shower/Tub is seriously NOT safe unless I help and watch very carefully, even then very worrisome. She pushed with some questions about the exact condition and what accomodations exactly we needed, which is what I would want them to do anyway. The lady at norwegian magically opened up the inventory after consulting with a supervisor and confirming we really did need the handicap room. I do not know if this involved moving someone else, or just opening up a room for sale that their inventory control sales people hadn't opened yet. Either way good result.

2) Holland America. I wanted a particular sailing and the handicap balcony rooms were listed as NOT available, I noticed the whole cabin category we wanted was unavailable. I called the line and she said actually the room is empty but inventory management haven't opened up the category for sale yet. She asked a few questions about our need to verify need was legitimate. She assured me that if my travel agent called her promptly she would specially open the room given our circumstance. My travel agent was a little baffled but played along and called, instantly getting the room. This call was made 6 months before the cruise date.

The lady at Holland America also took the time to explain in detail how seriously they take the Handicap issue and that they really expect only handicap people to book them unless it is still open close to sailing. They send a special form to everyone who books these rooms, require them to be filled out detailing needs, so everyone in them is clued in that they are taking a handicap room... if the form comes back blank they do inquire and move people as needed.

I don't really see how either call could have went better. Both lines seemed to take the issue seriously and were very responsive and accomodating.

On our last cruise with RCI we were speaking with the special needs department. ( I always call them 5 or 6 times before we cruise because some cruiselines have "forgotten" that I travel with a service dog.) In the course of talking with them we spoke of this board and the problem fact that people write on here about getting the HC cabins without being handicapped. AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT!!!! This person that we were speaking with assured me that they do indeed read this board and that they were actively looking for a few of these people. I for one would love to see their faces if they got caught!:eek: Of course it is just my opinion but if you don't need this type of room then you shouldn't book it.:rolleyes:

My husband uses a power wheelchair and cannot walk at all.

We have always booked HC cabins with HAL ... but sometimes we have to take our second or third choice in cruises, as all the HC cabins are booked on the week we wanted.

Last year I happened to read the roll call board for the cruise the week before ours. I was quite upset that one of the posters was bragging about getting a large HC room even though she did not need it. She went so far as to list the room number!

Of course she soothed her conscience by telling everyone that she would be willing to move out of the room if a person with disabilities needed it!

I told my husband ... and he called HAL.

He asked the reservation person if Room XXXX was open on that week.

She said no, it was not.

He asked if the person in that room were handicapped.

She said the person must be, if she reserved that room!

Then he told the agent about the roll call and how the woman who'd booked the room was bragging about getting it!

The agent was aghast but had no answers for him.

On our last cruise, I spoke at length to the hotel manager about disability issues. He said HC rooms are NOT FLAGGED if AB pax book them. He said once the rooms are booked, they're off the inventory ... end of story.

I get very angry when there are threads about AB people booking HC cabins on the main boards. It boggles my mind that there are so many people without compassion out there. So many selfish people who think they *need* those extra square feet of floor space.

The argument that is silliest: Well, why should the ship go out with all those rooms empty?

Ha! A Vista ship carries about 1,900 pax. There are upwards of 900 cabins for AB pax... and about 26 HC cabins.

Plus, the HC cabins not booked are usually assigned to the pax with guarantees.

Plenty of cabins for AB pax go empty too!

I remember that post too. I wrote a comment on just what I thought and I couldn't believe the hatred that came from our fellow CCers. You would have thought that I was trying to take their best friend away from them not a room that they shouldn't have had in the first place. Bottem line is if you don't need the room you shouldn't get it. Plain and simple!

Well, just think of their karma!!! That's what one of my friends keeps telling me.

If any of those selfish pax were to spend a week in a wheelchair, they'd realize how tough it is and how people with handicaps have to fight every day for things that AB people take for granted.

Archived