Adventure of the Seas August 3-9, 2019. The Oddball Musings of KMom.

53 minutes ago, rncruiser said:

We did this same cruise earlier this summer. We always eat  in the MDR for dinner. I don’t need fancy, but I am not a big fan of buffets because I always eat way more then I should. Portion control is the main reason I avoid the Windjammer as much as possible. 

Anyway, this was my 20th cruise, 18th on Royal, and the first time I did not enjoy the food in the MDR. I know there have been lots of complaints on these boards in the past couple of years about the quality of the food going downhill. Our previous cruise was on Allure last December and I found the food to be excellent. I really think that the quality varies from ship to ship and that Adventure definitely needs improvement in both food and service in the MDR. 

Hi, RNCruiser. Yes, I guess they do need to work on it. It doesn't make sense as this should be pretty consistent across the line.

As I noted, I'm not real picky and I will usually eat it even if it's marginal quality. I reserve the word "inedible" for a lower caliber of meal than many.  Mom is not a very picky eater either, but of course she expects the cruise dining room to be fairly decent quality as it always has been on her past cruises.  I hate to rant here on the boards, but it's more a friendly warning to temper your expectations as I know many people have much higher standards than we do and are likely to be disappointed. 

The quality of food in the Windjammer was really quite good, but I did absolutely eat too much. However, since no one in my family likes the ritual of the MDR either, I guess it works out fine for us and it's on my to control myself. 

Hi Kmom. Thanks for the review. We are going on Adventure next year as a family (2 adult daughters with their families). I was wondering if you can open the balcony dividers?  We were on Oasis a few years ago and we had side by side balcony cabins and were able to open them. This made for a very large balcony and we could walk from one cabin to another without going in the hallway. Again thanks for taking the time to write this review. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jjtt said:

Hi Kmom. Thanks for the review. We are going on Adventure next year as a family (2 adult daughters with their families). I was wondering if you can open the balcony dividers?  We were on Oasis a few years ago and we had side by side balcony cabins and were able to open them. This made for a very large balcony and we could walk from one cabin to another without going in the hallway. Again thanks for taking the time to write this review. 

Hi, JJTT. I am sorry to inform you that NO, you cannot open up these balconies.  The dividers are solid steel walls, my friend, and they are not going anywhere. I know exactly what you're talking about though. On some ships, the dividers are nothing more than plexiglass panels that slide right out and I saw plenty of people who did that on Oasis as well, as we could easily see the Boardwalk balcony rooms from the deck above and lots of the panels were opened. 

We did lean out and talk to each other around the walls, occasionally, but it's not really the same, is it?  On the other hand, for what it's worth, these balconies are really quite private.  One time and only one time I got a slight whiff of smoke smell, but honestly that could have been drifting down from the smoking area up by the pool.  I never heard anyone else on their balcony and I think the solid walls help with that all the way around.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, KmomChicago said:

Hi, JJTT. I am sorry to inform you that NO, you cannot open up these balconies.  The dividers are solid steel walls, my friend, and they are not going anywhere. I know exactly what you're talking about though. On some ships, the dividers are nothing more than plexiglass panels that slide right out and I saw plenty of people who did that on Oasis as well, as we could easily see the Boardwalk balcony rooms from the deck above and lots of the panels were opened. 

We did lean out and talk to each other around the walls, occasionally, but it's not really the same, is it?  On the other hand, for what it's worth, these balconies are really quite private.  One time and only one time I got a slight whiff of smoke smell, but honestly that could have been drifting down from the smoking area up by the pool.  I never heard anyone else on their balcony and I think the solid walls help with that all the way around.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, KmomChicago said:

Uggg, I was hoping they would open, until I saw your photos of the balcony. Oh well... it's not a deal breaker but it would have been nice. Thanks for answering my question. Looking forward for more of your review. 

• Like 1

Something I couldn’t figure out and couldn’t get pics of, was the women’s locker room in the gym. Since we didn’t get an accessible room, our JS had a tub. That’s not easy for mom to get into do we considered using the shower in the gym. I went in one morning as soon as they opened and got pics. Obviously you can’t usually take photos in locker rooms because of people trying to use the, but it was just me. 

I used one of the 5 count ‘em, yes 5 stalls to take a shower one day and it was great! The central stall with the curtain was extra wide but I used a regular one with a glass door and it was plenty big. I warmed up for a few minutes in the sauna afterwards.Mom ended up managing ok with our tub after all.

CCE9A22F-B1E5-4A47-ABF6-DD9FD5FC55D7.jpeg

AEEB68D1-410A-4D29-8850-7F204848C6C5.jpeg

612404E5-305E-43C2-967B-B368C54537AD.jpeg

46596A7D-25FE-47F0-96D5-3A0643BAFBDF.jpeg

B52B8540-779D-4D3A-9FEA-35D77676E157.jpeg

2F546A1B-604D-4E4E-BFB1-40F8AC21628C.jpeg

9691D5E1-E76A-4377-864F-23BDB0E2D2A8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KmomChicago, I've gotta tell you, I edit books professionally and I don't get manuscripts sent to me that are as well written and clever as your review.  

My hubby and I are booked into JS 1624 for a six-day Western Caribbean itinerary in February. We've been to all the ports before, so no surprises there, but it was great to hear your glowing review of that cabin. If you have any other photos of it, I'd love to see them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, KmomChicago said:

Beautiful but not-for-the-weak real deal martinis from class all lined up in a pretty row.

And below, one perfectly crafted lavender lemon drop martini. That bit of lavender infused simple syrup gave it the gorgeous hue and it tasted great as well.

7BDACEC2-75D6-4695-82E1-5A66A34E4D07.jpeg

6E7C44F5-7C92-456C-8B10-48409B3527F7.jpeg

Did you sign up for this martini class before you were onboard..I just went on my cruise planner for my adventure sailing in December and I don't see it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Being from CHICAGO ( south side ) I read your your reveiw with great interest as we will be leaving Oct. 26th. My question is  about chairs in the Solirum ( being from Chicago I cant spell too good ). Also  was there a LOVE & MARRIAGE game? The reason I asked we will be married 62 years & were thinking of try to get on the show, also if you saw it what were the prizes?

george35

• Haha 1

Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough and entertaining review! We are sailing Adventure for Christmas and it’s so nice to be able to read reviews like these to keep the excitement building. I have an only child 14 year old, too 😁-but he’s no “meanager.” I guess I just live a sheltered life, as I’ve never heard that term before. It gave me quite the chuckle! Great review-thanks again.

• Thanks 1

I so enjoyed reading your review.  Thank you for taking the time to share your adventures with us.  I especially loved the part about your husband setting up the coffee pot for the next day, only to have it all cleaned up for him..lol!  My husband always sets up the coffee pot after the kitchen is cleaned up after dinner.  I couldn't help laughing about your Martini Class and ice show afterwards!!  Great job!!!😊

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CJDepew said:

KmomChicago, I've gotta tell you, I edit books professionally and I don't get manuscripts sent to me that are as well written and clever as your review.  

My hubby and I are booked into JS 1624 for a six-day Western Caribbean itinerary in February. We've been to all the ports before, so no surprises there, but it was great to hear your glowing review of that cabin. If you have any other photos of it, I'd love to see them.

Hi, CJ.  Wow, that is high praise indeed. Thank you very much.  As I go back and read it again, I see the typos that I missed, and rethink my style or repetitive use of the same word too many times when I could have found an equally useful synonym, and wish I could do a bit of editing myself.  I suppose you won't be entirely surprised when I share that I am at work on that novel that my mom has been telling me to write since I was a little nipper.  I don't know if my timing is fabulous, as my skills have improved over the years, or terrible, as these days it seems everyone is a writer.

I am sorry to say, 100% of the photos I took of 1624 and my husband took of 1628, were all on our balconies, where the large sizes and wedge shapes apparently impressed us even more than I realized.  I have more photos of those if you want to see but we got no interior shots whatsoever. 

The pictures on the Cruise Critic main site, linked below, for the JS are my husband and daughter's room, and the space and layout is identical in 1624. These are pre-renovation, but the only change is fresh carpet and soft goods and different sitting area furniture, blue and a bit more updated rather than the orange stuff.   We had the beds in the twin arrangement in both rooms which gives you about a foot of space in between - they are still quite close and one of the twins has to be against the front wall to make this work. The wall opposite the beds is overflowing with cabinets - far more than we could possibly use or need with the nice spacious walk-in closet. We also had a mini fridge. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/adventure-of-the-seas-192/junior-suite-363919/

Edited by KmomChicago

15 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Did you sign up for this martini class before you were onboard..I just went on my cruise planner for my adventure sailing in December and I don't see it.

Thanks!

Hi, GalwayGirl. This is not something you sign up for in advance. It was on the Cruise Compass for the day and we just showed up at the time and place indicated. If you are traveling with friends, be sure to drag them along to help meet the required quorum of 8 customers and avoid the hemming and hawing that nearly derailed our class.

It was under the "For Foodies" section and called "Master the art of Martini Making."

6 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Hi, GalwayGirl. This is not something you sign up for in advance. It was on the Cruise Compass for the day and we just showed up at the time and place indicated. If you are traveling with friends, be sure to drag them along to help meet the required quorum of 8 customers and avoid the hemming and hawing that nearly derailed our class.

It was under the "For Foodies" section and called "Master the art of Martini Making."

Thanks!!! I will look into it!!! Do you remember the cost?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, george35 said:

Being from CHICAGO ( south side ) I read your your reveiw with great interest as we will be leaving Oct. 26th. My question is  about chairs in the Solirum ( being from Chicago I cant spell too good ). Also  was there a LOVE & MARRIAGE game? The reason I asked we will be married 62 years & were thinking of try to get on the show, also if you saw it what were the prizes?

george35

Hi, George. I grew up in Kankakee county, which in my youth was considered removed enough to be rural downstate Illinois, but sprawl has just about pulled us up into the suburbs in the modern era.  I blew out of here for 16 years as a young adult and lived in the Orlando area that whole time - did a sort of reverse retirement!  Oh boy, that's quite a story. 

Anyway, I went back and checked the Cruise Compass, and for this sailing the Love and Marriage show was on the last sea day from 3:15-4:15, which is exactly the time of my martini experience! No wonder they had trouble getting enough customers for the class, and no wonder I missed it. Normally we love that stuff.  As you must know, they typically choose 3 couples, with one being, umm, the mature couple and one being the newlyweds. I recommend playing the part of the kind, funny, and charming passenger all week at trivia to get to know the entertainment staff and angle for an advantage when they pick the contestants for the show. Sorry but I have no intel on prizes, but I wouldn't expect much other than bragging rights and a few fleeting moments of fame.  I hope you'll come back and report on it for the rest of us afterward!

3 minutes ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Thanks!!! I will look into it!!! Do you remember the cost?  

If you did not have the full boozy drink package, the cost was $25 per person + 18% gratuity. This was us.

If you did have the full boozy drink package, the cost was $20 per person + 18% gratuity.  Yes, you read that right. A whopping five dollar discount. Which I think is pretty stupid. You already paid for the booze and now you have to pay again for the booze!

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I take isue with that remarc.

Hi Bob. Always ready with a zinger, that's why we love you so much.  Thanks for dropping by. 

Anyone really paying attention will likely notice the same proportion of spellers to non-spellers across these 50 states. For all of Illinois and Chicago's faults, I don't think a spelling deficiency particularly stands out as our biggest problem.

12 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough and entertaining review! We are sailing Adventure for Christmas and it’s so nice to be able to read reviews like these to keep the excitement building. I have an only child 14 year old, too 😁-but he’s no “meanager.” I guess I just live a sheltered life, as I’ve never heard that term before. It gave me quite the chuckle! Great review-thanks again.

Hi Zanydoc.  I am going to lay claim on having invented a new portmanteau with meanager, though that's probably overly flattering to myself and may also be blatant theft of someone else's idea, so please nobody sue me.  Many people tell me girls are tougher in the teen years than boys, and I think mine has some actual mood disorders which we are trying to work on and help her with. 

She also has a fabulous and wry sense of humor and she is very self-aware so we both know perfectly well when she's going over the top with the drama and the lashing out.  She's not mean all the time, or even very often, but when she's mean, she's MEAN!  This term is a sort of funny reality check for her and helps her calm down. Here is a typical exchange.

"MOM!  What are you doing in MY ROOM!?  GET OUT!"

"FINE! I'll leave, but you don't have to be a MEANAGER about it!"

"I'm an EDGY TEEN! That's my JOB!"

Then we both make a sort of fake funny shocked look at each other as I depart.  And then I come back 5 minutes later to check on her and she's fine.