Best exercise when you have foot pain?

I'm kind of discouraged today.  I've had foot pain for a week.  I don't think it's plantar fasciitis, I think it may be Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.  I'd noticed when walking lately that my ankle was turning in with my walking shoes so that may be the cause.  But I rested all weekend, and even though I stayed pretty close to my 21 day fix diet, gained 1.5 lbs back, and my foot still hurts.  I changed shoes to some Naturalizers that I had.   I'm going to make a podiatrist appointment tomorrow if it isn't a lot better.  

My biggest exercise is walking, outside and on the treadmill, and I walk a lot, so what's the best substitution?  I do weight machines at the gym a couple of times a week and the treadmill the other days.  Do you think that the eliptical or the bike would be best?   I need to get my foot better before our cruise in November.  But I still need to lose some weight.  

HI CarolinaGirl2010,

I feel your pain - literally. I've got heaps of foot problems and walking is my biggest exercise too. I've had plantar fasciitis and it sucked. I have osteoporosis so break bones easily. I stepped over a chain in Costco at a till and broke my left foot in three places. That was many years ago and it still bugs me time to time. My most recent issue is that I broke my second toe walking laps on Jewel of the Seas in Jan 2018. It has healed and rebroke more times than I can count since then. One thing I've found that helps is swimming or water aerobics classes.. or really anything in water. Less impact on the foot and still lets you get a workout. 

Robin

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RobinCruiser said:

HI CarolinaGirl2010,

One thing I've found that helps is swimming or water aerobics classes.. or really anything in water. Less impact on the foot and still lets you get a workout. 

Robin

Thanks Robin,  that sounds like fun but I have no access to a pool right now.  Planet Fitness doesn't have one.  Hope your foot is doing well.  I broke my toes once and that really hurts.  

• Like 1

@CarolinaGirl2010, I left you some suggestions for stretches/pain relief in the Thursday thread.  I think the bike would be a little less weight bearing than the elliptical (more weight distributed to the seat vs. all on the feet) but elliptical would still be better than treadmill.  Bike was recommended for me as non-weight bearing when my hip was at its worst.

Focusing on diet and nutrition (while not as fun as cardio 😉 ) might be your best bet if you can't get relief.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

@CarolinaGirl2010, I left you some suggestions for stretches/pain relief in the Thursday thread.  I think the bike would be a little less weight bearing than the elliptical (more weight distributed to the seat vs. all on the feet) but elliptical would still be better than treadmill.  Bike was recommended for me as non-weight bearing when my hip was at its worst.

Focusing on diet and nutrition (while not as fun as cardio 😉 ) might be your best bet if you can't get relief.

Thanks.  I'm used to walking so much and I found the elliptical so hard.  Guess I may try doing that for a few minutes each day till I get more used to it.  And the rest of the time can be the bike.    I have been walking outside once a day for a few minutes.  The doctor thinks it's tendonitis due to overpronation, so I have an orthotic with a higher arch in my shoe to see if it helps.  

• Like 1