Cozumel Conditions - CHANKANAAB PARK???

dino76

Hi, we're sailing to Cozumel end of February... anybody know the condition of Chankanaab Park or if it will be open by then? Is it worth going to? Or if this was your first time in Cozumel on a cruise, what would you take in???? Book a tour or explore on your own?

Chankanaab Park was well worth going to prior to Wilma. It was totally destroyed. Nothing left but jungle. However, they have been working hard to get it reopened. The target date was end of Feb., but that's speculative. I would do something else. You can get tons of information about places to go and things to do on the Cozumel "Ports of Call". The only ship tour that I would consider there is the Sail, Snorkle and Beach tour. Cozumel has the most amazing water and is a great snorkle destination.

How about us non-swimmers.... snorkeling is out. What other "beach" environment should we consider?

Go to the Cozumel board and look for posts about Paradise Beach. This is a very popular option. I had a good time at Playa Mia last month as well.

We were on Explorer Jan 15-22, and had to wait in line 2 HOURS for a tender back to the ship. Cozumel is pretty messed up right now. The shopkeepers are obviously very much in need of money, as they are being extremely pushy. I looked at a ss pendant as a shop where the tenders land which started out at $198, he played his "best card" of $108 and I walked out. We went to another shop, he grabbed my arm and pulled me back, and wanted $40. I gave it to him, but I thought he was WAYYY to pushy, bordering on scary. If I had to do it again, I would stay onboard.

I hope they have it up and running again by the time our CC Group Cruise goes there in December, that's what my family had planned on doing! Last time we went snorkeling with Eagle Ray Divers and it was great, so we might just end up with that if it's not open.

Misty

We were on Explorer Jan 15-22, and had to wait in line 2 HOURS for a tender back to the ship. Cozumel is pretty messed up right now. The shopkeepers are obviously very much in need of money, as they are being extremely pushy. I looked at a ss pendant as a shop where the tenders land which started out at $198, he played his "best card" of $108 and I walked out. We went to another shop, he grabbed my arm and pulled me back, and wanted $40. I gave it to him, but I thought he was WAYYY to pushy, bordering on scary. If I had to do it again, I would stay onboard.

Most of the ports in Mexico feature pushy shop owners but they are very desperate for those US dollars in Coz. The rebuilding is at a very slow pace. The one thing that really stands out is all of the work being done is being done by hand. There is a complete lack of heavy equipment so it could be years before things are back to "normal."

Throw 'em a bone and spend a few bucks there, they need it!

We were just in Cozumel on January 19. We shopped around in town and then went over to Paradise Beach. Carlos N Charlies is open and PB was fine. They have all of their beach toys back (trampoline, kayaks, chairs, and their water iceberb). From PB, you could look up and down the beach and it didn't appear that any other beaches were reopend yet.

PB has great food and drinks and if free to get into.

Throw 'em a bone and spend a few bucks there, they need it!

Aw come on....they aren't dogs :(

Anyways.....The shop owners of Cozumel have ALWAYS been pushy. I have never experienced rude though. I have never felt like it wasn't a safe place to shop. Any place with Cold Coronas for $1. Is a favorite of mine :)

Bobbie

Archived