Strangest thing you take with you

Bennybluehat

1 hour ago, emam said:

You are right. We have just come back from Yorkshire and they had the same tea (which was why I was thinking Yorkshire tea). Reminded me of the ship (horrible strong tea). 

Are you sure P&O's tea bags are PG, I seem to remember they were Tetley.

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you sure P&O's tea bags are PG, I seem to remember they were Tetley.

Definitely PG in the cabin recently as I had a horrible experience...

I made Michelle a cup in near darkness, she spat it out... How ungrateful I thought.

It was Camomile tea in identical PG packaging.

Alright on its own, but not with milk when she was expecting a proper brew.

She insists I did it deliberately!! As if I would😀

Andy

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I made Michelle a cup in near darkness, she spat it out... How ungrateful I thought.

Andy

Well of course you wouldn’t do something like that on purpose 😉 I’m sure we had Tetley last time we were onboard but I’m quite partial to a nice cup of PG tips aswell! I won’t be quite as happy if they do more cutbacks and they start using Lidl’s saver bags! I do take my own coffee as I find the complimentary stuff revolting. I also take the little concentrated squash bottles with me on P&O cruises as there is nothing like that provided unless you pay for soft drinks.

• Like 1

Can confirm it’s PG. Can’t stand the stuff at home ( can only assume it’s our water) as I’ve had decent cups of PG when out. I should mention that on our recent trip on Aurora I snaffled a couple of sachets of camomile tea and stashed then in my pocket as the specialty teas had always run out by late evening time in the buffet. I needn’t have bothered as the tea caddies were always topped up throughout the cruise ( as of course they should be) or else passengers don’t like PG 😂

On 8/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, Vampiress88 said:

Gonna be taking coffee and the areo press next year me thinks 

Always take real coffee and aeropress. they're great aren't they, and weigh very little. Proper cup of coffee on the balcony every morning; best way to wake up!

• 2 weeks later...

On cruises I usually take a handheld VHF radio (I am a licensed operator btw), an old Magellan GPS, and a route planning chart.

All rather sad I know, but on sea days I do like to note our position through the day and plot the route taken on the chart.

Less inclined to take the GPS these days as I've got navigation apps on my phone that give your position quicker than the old Magellan and they can record the route.  

The strangest thing my mum has taken on a cruise was a set of tyres for my uncle's car!!

To put it into context:

My mum is Russian and back in the days of the Soviet Union we used to travel to visit family by ship from Tilbury to Leningrad.  Mum's family lived about 40 miles outside Leningrad.

My uncle wanted a set of snow tyres with metal studs.  So dad got a set made, and when we went over for the summer holidays me and mum had them in the cabin!

Oh and another year when dad came along to Rusiia, he took the car! It was a Mk1 Cortina.  It was craned onto the deck and strapped down on some open space towards the stern.  I remember that there was another car on board as well.  That was on the good old Baltika.

6 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The strangest thing my mum has taken on a cruise was a set of tyres for my uncle's car!!

To put it into context:

My mum is Russian and back in the days of the Soviet Union we used to travel to visit family by ship from Tilbury to Leningrad.  Mum's family lived about 40 miles outside Leningrad.

My uncle wanted a set of snow tyres with metal studs.  So dad got a set made, and when we went over for the summer holidays me and mum had them in the cabin!

Oh and another year when dad came along to Rusiia, he took the car! It was a Mk1 Cortina.  It was craned onto the deck and strapped down on some open space towards the stern.  I remember that there was another car on board as well.  That was on the good old Baltika.

Good idea,have a row with the Mrs,you can sleep in the car.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:14 AM, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

Fraught with danger; making tea in the dark. Still, it could have been worse, it could have been a condom instead of a plastic wrapped teabag. 

• Like 1

Sure thing. I was reading a book by the owner of the Wigtown Bookshop and mentioned that the plastic wrapped (as opposed to the normal paper wrapped ) tea bags do look surprisingly like the aforesaid articles. His embarrassing moment came in his shop as he took a wrapped teabag out of his pocket - they mistook the item for something else. 

• Like 1