Getting from ship into Victoria?

Hikini

We will be on our 4th AK cruise, which will be stopping in Victoria on our way back to Seattle. Since we live in Seattle and can get to Victoria fairly easily, we have never gotten off the ship there.

This time, however, we will have kids with us from the S.W. United States who will want to go into Victoria. My question is: How do we get from the ship (NCL Star) into town? Is it within walking distance or are there buses or shuttles for us to catch at the pier? Does this have to be prearranged?

If we don't have any excursions booked, where would you suggest we go? I would imagine the kids would just like to browse through some shops and see what there is to see fairly close to the pier.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Hikini:D

Walk - it should only take about 10 minutes to walk from Ogden Point (where the cruise ships land) to the Inner Harbour, Empress Hotel area. There is lots of shopping available in that area. There will also be shuttle buses from the pier to downtown.

We were in Victoria last year on a Royal Caribbean cruise and they had a shuttle available to downtown. It was $5pp unlimited rides all day. I would think NCL would have something similar. It is an easy 10-15 minute walk from the docks to downtown.

One place to check out that might be of interest is the Royal BC Museum. Their web site is http://www.royalbcmuseum.ba.ca. It is located in the same area as the Empress Hotel, Parliament building and Inner Harbor.

There is only a small gift shop at the pier but lots of shops downtown near the above mentioned places.

Here is another idea for what to do in Victoria. By the way shuttles/buses will take you to downtown Victoria. We were on Princess and they dropped us off on the side of the Empress Hotel which is right on the watefront. Now in front of the hotel is a marina. There you can go on a water taxi which has two routes. There is a price p/p but I cannot remember what it was. We took both tours and it was wonderful. Went all over the Inner harbour. The web site is www.harbourferry.com

Marilyn

It is less than a mile from the pier to the central tourist area downtown, and a pleasant walk through an historic neighbourhood if the weather is good. I would recommend walking.

Go left as you exit the gate and head for the area known as the Inner Harbour. You will end up in front of the Legislative Buildings, on the waterfront of the Inner Harbour. The Empress Hotel and Royal British Columbia Museum are within a block.

For shopping, head up Government Street. You can see everything you need within another 15 to 20 minute walk.

Enjoy!

I agree with the previous poster about the BC Museum. It is spectacular and reasonably priced.

Weather and health permitting, it's an easy and enjoyable walk. My wife and I would pick it over a bus any time. We did it r/t from the ship a total of 3 times.

We were in Victoria twice within the same week, saw Parliament, The Empress and all of the Inner Harbor (harbour in BC?). The BC Museum was our favorite. It is very extensive and you could easily spend 4-5 hours there.

Victoria also has a lot of neat restaurants. We heard from many people that Chinatown is great too.

We really enjoyed the Tibet exhibit.

Victoria is a charming city with so much beauty. The people are friendly too. You will abosolutely love it.

Next time, we will see Buchart Gardens. I've heard it's beautiful, but travel time is supposedly 45 minutes each way and that, factored with the cost, turned us away.

Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there :)

The museum is fun (make sure you check out the old town exhibit, that was allllways my favourite growing up :)), but you could also go to the wax museum (also in the inner harbour), or to Beacon Hill Park which, imo, is almost as nice at Butchart gardens, but a short walk from downtown, and completely free :)

As far as impromptu tours, you could try a tally ho ride, which is a large carriage drawn by two clydesdale horses. Its a fairly reasonable price (10$/pp? I'm not sure though, as its been years since I did this tour) (though if you take a private (for 2 or 4 people) carriage ride its very expensive!) The Tally ho tours leave from beside the parliament buildings and will take you on a tour for a little over an hour which shows you the major sites, drives through Beacon Hill Park, etc.

You could also do the Harbour Taxi, where you can get on and off at a few different points, or try a double decker bus tour which leaves from outside the Empress Hotel. If you want something more personalized, you could flag over a kabuki kab, and for a dollar a minute, get cycled to wherever you want to go, or take a tour that includes craigdarroch castle....

Good luck!

Dani

Archived