Last minute cruise weather worries.

Pez&sheldon

We have the possibility of going on a 4 or 5 day from Port Caneveral to the Bamahas leaving on the 8th or 9th. We live close to the terminal (4 hours away). What are the hurricane or weather concerns for this time of year? Not sure when the season starts.

hurricane season runs through October, I believe.  

we have a cruise departing on the 8th, FLL.  im not too worried about itinerary - I didn't book any excursions since its the middle of season.  ive had peers who had itineraries changed to avoid storms, sometimes ports are missed with an extra sea day added. 

In general? Hurricanes, tropical storms. 

Specifically for in a few weeks? Hard to tell. There's some activity out there now, but who knows what will be going on in a few weeks.

We are going on two in September hus year, generally speaking, in hurricane season. I'm not worried, nor worrying. We are looking forward to them and will go with the flow. 

There's currently a tropical storm in the Caribbean that's on a northwestern path at the moment. It's predicted to turn to a more northerly course and reach the Bahamas by Saturday, I believe. You would be cruising a little over a week later. There's always a chance that another tropical storm would immediately follow this current one, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

If you do book one of those cruises and there are new weather concerns, they'll do everything they can to keep from cancelling the cruise and still do it safely. If they have to, they'll change the itinerary or skip a port, as the last user mentioned. If you want to go, I say book it.

16 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

hurricane season runs through October, I believe.  

I do find it interesting that the OP lives within driving distance from ports but does not know when hurricane season is. But then again, I am obsessed with weather in general and have to realize not everyone is. That said, in the interest of accurate info., I will respond to this person's response here and state that officially hurricane season in the Atlantic basin is June 1-Nov 30. Of course, the chances are less on each end of that spectrum than in the height of the season.

Edited by amyotravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Official Season is June 1st thru Nov 30 with the historic peak time the second week of Sept (exactly when the OP is considering) .

I am also amazed that OP lives 4 hours from the port and does not know this ?

A short cruise from FL can switch between Bahamas (Atlantic ) and a  W. Caribbean  itinerary if need be .

• Like 1