Limited use of Lanai "terrace" due to construction works

HeinBloed

18 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you look at the deck plans, the OV cabins near the Lanai cabins (cat D, which is what the Lanais used to be) are listed as ocean view but not obstructed. The H and HH obstructed are the ones forward and aft where the superstructure encloses the promenade. Those cabins look out at the wall. 

I would prefer an OV on 1 or 2 rather than an "unobstructed" view of the promenade. But HAL does not consider the cat D ocean view or Lanai cabins obstructed.

Many think the attraction  of lanai cabins  is being able to open the door to outside and  get  fresh air..  depending upon itinerary,  scenicviewing and(in a perfect world) having the reserved seat to enjoy on deck.

image.png.da6fd4ab5e4171eee46ceb53bc294e4d.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

We sailed the Maasdam in a cabin (obstructed ocean view) on the same deck as the lanai staterooms; although we did not have direct access to the deck, we were only a few steps away from a door that led to the open air. And I did go out in my jammies and robe once or twice....

We absolutely loved our lanai cabin on the Amsterdam this June in Alaska, and we would book another in a heartbeat. There was more than enough room for two people for 14 days. The bathroom was the best we have ever had on a HAL ship. We chose a perfect location, just one cabin back of the atrium. And for glacier viewing from both sides of the ship, that location allowed us to quickly get to the port or starboard atrium outside doors as well as using our own lanai door.

Lanai = ❤️

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you look at the deck plans, the OV cabins near the Lanai cabins (cat D, which is what the Lanais used to be) are listed as ocean view but not obstructed. The H and HH obstructed are the ones forward and aft where the superstructure encloses the promenade. Those cabins look out at the wall. 

I would prefer an OV on 1 or 2 rather than an "unobstructed" view of the promenade. But HAL does not consider the cat D ocean view or Lanai cabins obstructed.

Check on the deck plan of VEENDAM

366 is a non-Lanai cabin but regular oceanview with a railing in front of us like us:

2019-VEENDAM-011811.jpg.a3f77d52909fd87b25820c27c757cc08.jpg

while (estimated 380 and higher) the other have a sheltered promenade in front of their cabin:

2019-VEENDAM-022207.jpg.f6afd11e6ffd79cd7636d19bc709cbe7.jpg

Maybe this make the difference of the obstruction. H/HH at the aft or in the front had always the sheltered "wall/railing"

19 minutes ago, HeinBloed said:

Check on the deck plan of VEENDAM

366 is a non-Lanai cabin but regular oceanview with a railing in front of us like us:

2019-VEENDAM-011811.jpg.a3f77d52909fd87b25820c27c757cc08.jpg

while (estimated 380 and higher) the other have a sheltered promenade in front of their cabin:

2019-VEENDAM-022207.jpg.f6afd11e6ffd79cd7636d19bc709cbe7.jpg

Maybe this make the difference of the obstruction. H/HH at the aft or in the front had always the sheltered "wall/railing"

I give up. I have no idea what your argument is. My point (which your comments/photos support) is that none of the lanais was formerly classified as an obstructed-view cabin. All the lanais were converted from (D) ocean view cabins.  Lanais all have a clear view of the promenade and out beyond it. But the view of the ocean is farther away compared to other ocean view cabins because of the promenade.

I travelled solo on the Veendam last October in a lanai.  Loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat, even though it was too cold through much of the cruise to make use of the deck chairs. (It was Montreal to FLL).  Dont know if some of the lanai's are different but the silver coating on the sliding door kept anyone from being able to see in at night. I left my curtain open & went out on deck to see for myself. I still felt more comfortable with the curtain closed after dark so that's what I did.  Also, although the sliding door is heavier than a regular door, I didn't have much trouble opening it. Just be sure to take the proximity card with you when going on deck since the door can close behind you. 

I do agree that you can hear the crew spraying down the deck in the early morning.  Also, I did hear some noise from what I think was the plumbing from the cabin next to mine.  I always travel with ear plugs so this didn't really bother me much, but could be a factor if someone is a light sleeper.

23 hours ago, HeinBloed said:

Although they tell you it is "mirrored": when outside is dark and inside is illuminated, you could see every little details of your life in your cabin... So be sure to have the right "costumes" for a show with you. There are many people who are looking inside when you have the door open...

If you have a tender boat you look always on the bottom of a tender boat:

We have been on 2 different "R" class ships in Lanai cabins.   During the day it is impossible to see inside through the mirror coating on the door and window.  At night, with all cabin lights on, AND if you are pressing your nose on the sliding glass door from the outside, you may see some shadowy movement of people in the cabin.  But I doubt that there are too many perverts onboard that will try to peek into the Lanai cabins, or, for that matter, the OV cabins that have the same mirror coating on their windows.   

You mention that "people look inside when the door is open".   Well what do you expect ?  If the sliding door is open, of course people can see inside, day or night.   But a more serious question, why do you leave an air conditioned cabin door open ?   You are killing the air conditioning for yourself and many cabins around you.  That open door sucks in warm, humid air and wipes out the ability of the AC system to cool your cabin and many cabins next to you, and above and below you.  Be considerate and do NOT prop open any cabin door, in a Lanai or any balcony cabin that has a door.

When you choose your cruise cabin, do a little research.  Check Cruise Deck Plans dot com and look at pictures of similar cabins.   If you have a problem with a railing or the bottom of a lifeboat in your view, then pick an OV cabin, or spring for a Vista Suite.   Don't complain here about a choice you made and now regret it.  "Caveat Emptor", or "Buyer beware".

• Like 2