4K vs 1080 in Alaska

mario64

Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum. I searched and did not find any posts on this topic. We're heading to Alaska next week on the Bliss and obviously want to get some good pics and video during our trip. We both have iphones which is fine for general use but for excursions and certain other scenic areas I wanted to bring along a true camera. So we bought a Panasonic FZ300. Given the expected rain, the water resistance on this camera seemed important. My dilemma is regarding video. This camera can shoot 4k video and we do have 4K TV's on which to view it. However, we cannot upload 4K video to the Apple ecosystem (icloud) so I would need to downconvert to 1080 after the trip, potentially losing all of my EXIF and geotag data in the process. I'm looking for input on this. Should I stay with 4K video for best possible quality or just go with 1080 for simplicity? In the same vein, any recommendations on 30 vs 60fps? I understand that 30fps may be preferred?

Thank you,

mario

Edited by mario64

2 hours ago, mario64 said:

Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum. I searched and did not find any posts on this topic. We're heading to Alaska next week on the Bliss and obviously want to get some good pics and video during our trip. We both have iphones which is fine for general use but for excursions and certain other scenic areas I wanted to bring along a true camera. So we bought a Panasonic FZ300. Given the expected rain, the water resistance on this camera seemed important. My dilemma is regarding video. This camera can shoot 4k video and we do have 4K TV's on which to view it. However, we cannot upload 4K video to the Apple ecosystem (icloud) so I would need to downconvert to 1080 after the trip, potentially losing all of my EXIF and geotag data in the process. I'm looking for input on this. Should I stay with 4K video for best possible quality or just go with 1080 for simplicity? In the same vein, any recommendations on 30 vs 60fps? I understand that 30fps may be preferred?

Thank you,

mario

Are you sure the Apple ecosystem doesn't support 4K? That seems odd for a company that touts dominance of video production. It also seems strange that they would not support a format that their phones can record and Apple TV is advertising as a feature..

You might want to double check the specs of explore other storage options, if 4K quality is important.

Dave

Edited by pierces

3 minutes ago, pierces said:

Are you sure the Apple ecosystem doesn't support 4K? That seems odd for a company that touts dominance of video production. It also seems strange that they would not support a format that their phones can record and Apple TV is advertising as a feature..

You might want to double check the specs.

Dave

You’re right Dave. I had heard you cannot upload 4K videos to iCloud but just tested and it worked fine. Any thoughts on shooting at 30fps vs 60fps? We will be going whale watching so maybe 60 is best? I’m new at this stuff

24 minutes ago, mario64 said:

You’re right Dave. I had heard you cannot upload 4K videos to iCloud but just tested and it worked fine. Any thoughts on shooting at 30fps vs 60fps? We will be going whale watching so maybe 60 is best? I’m new at this stuff

Double the data. If you feel you would need 2x slow-motion, 60fps will be needed. Otherwise, 30fps will do fine. I must say though, a breaching whale in slo-mo would be pretty awesome! Maybe scenics at 30fps and action at.60fps?

Hopefully, someone with more than just technical knowledge will chime in ( I don't shoot video much at all).

Dave

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:05 PM, mario64 said:

I was in Alaska in May and would switch back and forth depending on the occasion. If you are moving quickly or if you are shooting something moving quickly, the extra fps could be nice to make it not as choppy.

As Dave said, the purpose of 60p is slow motion: It's become the "in" thing for youtube video highlights... playing with slow motion in some clips.

I'm always torn about 1080p vs 4k. If I'm going to share videos by youtube, there is no true 4k support on all devices. At best, it will be watched in HD in most cases.

WHile shooting in 4k would future proof my video (my kids just started binge watching Scrubs and complained about the 4:3 standard definition video in the 2001 episodes), 4k is really harder to shoot: It causes the camera to heat up faster, and the files are MASSIVE compared to 1080p. Eat up a lot more memory, slower to post process.

Meanwhile, on many cameras, shooting 1080, allows 120p, for even slower motion.

So there are real benefits to shooting 1080... keeping down the file size, keeping the camera from overheating, easier to post process.. and are you going to be even be viewing the final product in 4k?

I dont do a lot of video... and I go back and forth about which to use.