Amsterdam Post Cruise

Punxy Phil

Phil: Amsterdam is a fantastic city to visit and enjoy! My best reommendation is to obtain a copy of Rick Steve's travel guide on Amsterdam/Brussels. He gives a no nonsense, entertaining, great explanation of what to see and how to get there and how to save both money and time. His book has easy to use walking tour maps of Amsterdam and environs. Amsterdam is very walkable and extremely interesting.

We were in Amsterdam last July and stayed at the Banks Mansion-very close to the Flower Market. It was excellent-all inclusive: full breakfast, all drinks, whether in-room or in self-serve lobby bar are included as is internet access. The hotel is also air conditioned. We are going to be in Amsterdam again in April and will be staying at the Banks Mansion again. Hope this helps!

The Amsterdam cruise port is located very near the city centre, main train station, etc. The port website is full of useful info--dig deep, there is a very helpful city map + tip on a new hotel eff. Aug 2006. http://www.amsterdamcruise.com/

I, personally, probably wouldn't stay near the cruise port unless I was flying in the day before and cruising out the next day. As close as the port is to the action, I've preferred a hotel nearer to the sites on my "must see" priority list. Amsterdam is a very walkable city + public transportation is great. The last two trips, we've used Marriott status and stayed at their property right by the hopping Leidseplein and museum concentration. That worked for us because we needed more American-style hotel accommodations to meet the needs of a family with kids. We've also enjoyed the Pulitzer, which is a pricier Starwood property with lots of historic charm, perfectly situated for the canal boat "bus" and just blocks from the Anne Frank Huis and Westerkerk, among other attractions. The Dam Square hotels can be noisy, but are certainly in the thick of things and popular with travelers because of their proximity to the train station (which makes it easy for inexpensive and efficient train link to Schiphol airport).

Specifically re: Banks Mansion, yes, the Flower Market is a central location. If you look on the PDF map at the port site, it is shown by flower icons at "Bloemen Markt." I don't know anything about that hotel property.

Amsterdam is one of our family's favorite European cities. It is so vibrant, you can't help but have a great time! The people are friendly, English is widely spoken, everything's very accessible, prices of all things tourists care about are reasonable, food variety & quality is excellent, weather for cruise season visitors is lovely, it's pretty, historic, and fun...what's not to like?!

Phil: I agree with Artemis about recommending not staying near the cruise pier--from what I recall, there are not a lot of good choices. Another CC poster, localady and her hubby, stayed at the Pulitzer and were very pleased with it. The Pulitzer is very close to the Ann Frank Museum, but as Artemis said, Amsterdam is very walkable, cabs are plentiful as are trolleys (light rail). You might want to look at www.tripadvisor.com for hotels and evaluations. Hope you enjoy Amsterdam!

With only 2 to 3 nights, focusing on just Amsterdam makes sense, and the Rick Steves book is a great resource. He has recommended plans for a 1,2 or 3 day stay. Certainly, if you can, Holland is worth a MUCH longer stop. So much to see in the friendliest country in Europe (yes, I'm biased ;)) Have fun!

Mountainhouse,

That is a (maybe too) big complement.... thanks

Not at all! However, in the interest of full disclosure, I was born in Zutphen before immigrating to the US as a child. :D That was quite a while ago. However, I still speak Dutch (but badly), and a Dutch grocer comes by the house once a month to bring cheese, ontbijt koek, drop. etc. This summer will be my first visit to Holland since 1970. Can't wait! Actually, my wife is concerned my expectations are too high, but I don't think so. :D

In that case: ik had op zijn hollands moeten schrijven...

If you need any help or info, let me know.

We have been to the US various times and were in Napa Valley in September. Last October we met ao Bill S and Virginia in Las Vegas.

Thanks! We're in the Central Valley about 1.5 hours from Napa. About 2 hours from Yosemite. The Lodi wine region is right near us. Great Zins if you like that.

Fortunately, between my father and mother they had 8 siblings. They've been kind enough to set up two parties, so the family can all come visit with us, instead of us running around. Makes things much easier. We'll be staying in Elst. Plans so far include Kröller-Müller museum, Weerribben park, Open Air museum in Arnhem and Amsterdam. Probably trips to Zutphen and Nijmegen. We're trying to take it easy because the Greek Isle cruise will be VERY busy.

There is 1 question: Know any really good Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam?

Thanks again.

Amsterdam is a wonderful place to visit. We were there in November and stayed both at the Pulitzer and the Marriott. The Pulitzer is a fancy hotel right on the canal and a few blocks from the Anne Frank Huis. The Marriott is right in the museum square and is your typical Marriott. I personally liked the charm of the Pulitzer but my husband preferred the Marriott. I, too, used the Rick Steves' Amsterdam/Brussels guidebook, and it was invaluable. I also had the Mapeasy Amsterdam map. You can just about walk everywhere in Amsterdam, and if you get tired, just grab their very easy to figure out trams. If you have a chance, try their stroopwafels. They are crispy waffles that have caramel, honey, or some other filling. We tried them at markets and other places. I wanted to bring some home to family and friends, and bought a lot from the local grocery chain, Albert Heijn. They were very good. The departure from Schiphol Airport can get very busy; please allow more than two hours before your flight time. We got there about two hours before, and nearly missed our flight.

<<There is 1 question: Know any really good Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam? >>

Now just one, but various. We love "Sama Sebo", near PC Hooftstraat and not that far away from Rijksmuseum. Closed on Sunday.

Also on Rembrandtplein there is a very good one, cannot recall the name, but will find out.I will do some homework and give you more within a few days. Although chinese restaurants claim to serve indonesian too, it is different. Best are the ones with indonesian names.

What part of Ams will you stay?

<< Best are the ones with indonesian names.

What part of Ams will you stay? >>

Sounds great. My Mom learned how to cook Indonesian from my paternal Oma. She cooks a great rijstafel. But even in the San Francisco bay area, there only a couple of very small Indonesian restaurants, so I'm looking forward to some good food.

Not sure if we're going to just day trip into AMS or stay with family in Beverwijk. Wow, only a few more days until Hawaii, eh? Are you going to see some whales. I really want to go there and see that.

Thanks for the info!

Prior to WWII, what's now Indonesia was the Dutch East Indies. Ine will have suggestions for Indonesian restaurants. Don't miss rijstafel! All sort of Indonesian dishes served at the same time. Translation: rice table.

Just a few thoughts on other foods: find freshly made stroopwafels (not from the market), eat french fries with mayo (it's actually a richer sauce which is quite good), and crokets (how can you go wrong with deep fried gravy), find a good bakery (it's soooo much better then the US).

Now Ine will be annoyed that I've characterized Dutch food as a junk food feast. ;)

Punxy Phil, if you want to try old fashioned dutch food, like snert (thick peasoup, hutspot (mashed carrots/onions/potatoes), fish, meat and far more I can recommand "De Roode Leeuw", (Red Lion), which is on Damrak near Dam Square at city center. Almost opposite Hotel Krasnapolsky and the big shop Bijenkorf.

They serve a fine collection, good food, nice staff that speaks english.. I have taken CC'ers to this place before. Also their "Bitterballen" are great!.(This is a smaller version of "kroketten" what Mountainhouse describes.)

Mountainhouse, we live rather close to Beverwijk. There is a real good Indonesian foodshop in Breestraat opposite shoppingcenter Beverhof, great collection of food, (also to go), spices, etc. It is one of our favorites.

This year by the way is "Rembrandtyear", who was born 400 years ago.

Here are some real good Indonesion Restaurants in Amsterdam,

For those of you who donot eat that much, often you can order the same as plate-service, it is called "Rames". Nassi Rames is Rice, Bami Rames with noodles

Indrapura- Rembrantdsplein (thats the one I was thinking of).

http://www.indrapura.nl/

And of course Sama Sebo, PC Hooftstraat-van Baerlestraat near Rijksmuseum. http://sama-sebo.orientalrestaurants.nl/

Puri Mas in Lange Leidsedwarsstraat - near Leidseplein,

Tempo Doeloe in Utrechtsestraat.

Because of all the work a good Rijsttafel needs, they donot come cheap, but worth every penny for it. Some dishes can be real spicy, so check before ordering. Donot forget to order "Sate", pork, chicken or goetmeat roasted and served in peanutsauce.

I am getting hungry now!!!!

I found another nice linke for Amsterdam:

http://www.simplyamsterdam.nl/sights.htm

• 2 months later...
Read all above posts but would love your opinion what is great, charming hotel in best location for seeing the sights...on a canal even better ;-)

Claudia,

Check out the Pulitzer Hotel.

As mentioned Pulitzer Hotel is on a canal, but also De l'Europe, Radisson SAS, Estherea Hotel, and quite a few others.

check this link also: http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Ine -

Bill S (and Lisa & Tom) had lots of good things to say about you when I visited them in Las Vegas last week, so I'm very pleased to see you mention the Estherea where we'll be staying in July. Are there any "hidden gems" to visit in the hotel's local area along the Singel?

Well we have very good memories about our evening in Las Vegas last October too. And also of the meeting we had last summer in Amsterdam with Jim, Donna and all the others before they sailed Prinsendam....

You are quite central when you stay at Singel. Close to the Flowermarket and you can take a tram (or walk) to all directions.

Absolutely make a canalboatride, my favorite way to see the city.

Of course also Ann Franks house is always a must, although it gives a sad feeling.

If you like "spicy" food, have an indonesian Rijsttafel at Sama Sebo or Indrapuro. If you like bitterballen or other dutch food Roode Leeuw is very good at that.

What time of the year/what ship will you be sailing?

Archived