Amsterdam Post Cruise

Punxy Phil

What time of the year/what ship will you be sailing?

Like Jim & Donna, we'll also be on the Prinsendam - leaving Amsterdam on June 24 then back on July 10.

We're trying to decide if it's worth taking the train to Brussels or Brugge for the day...

Dave: enjoyed meeting you last week! Hope you can make it back soon!.

We took the train from Amsterdam to Bruges twice last summer (long story). Anyway, plan on 3.5 hours each way by train with at least one change of train in Antwerp. That is if the system is working.

On our second trip back, to Amsterdam, there was a problem on the section of track between Antwerp and Rotterdam and we had two changes of train and a short bus ride-added another 2 hours onto the return trip. That is probably an exception, but it still happened. It would make for a very long day trip and would not give you much time to really enjoy and take-in all the sights in Bruges. Just my opinion, even though we love Bruges. Brussels, on the other hand may be more "do-able". Hope this helps a bit!

I wouldnot advise you to make that trip to Brugge. I know it is a real nice city, but like Bill says, there is a (very slight) risk with trains.The distance is too far to get there by bus.

If you havenot been there why not visit Delft instead. A real nice small old town with of course Delft Blue pottery.

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

Or visit The Hague with madurodam, which give you a great overall view of NL in miniature:

http://www.madurodam.nl/default.php?language=1&sqlmode=1&fid=479

In combination with maybe the Peacepalace in The Hague:

http://www.vredespaleis.nl/showpage.asp?pag_id=1

and or the seaside resort of Scheveningen.

http://www.scheveningen.nl/gb/

Bill, I will mail you about Amsterdam next week.

Thanks Ine. I've never understand the draw of Madurodam, but perhaps you have to see it to feel the effect.

I do understand what you & Bill are saying about Brugges or Brussels, but it's no longer a trip than folks who dock in Warnemunde take to Berlin, or those in St. Petersburg take to Moscow or those in Helsinki take to Lappland. Still, we aren't taking any of those! Perhaps Brugges can wait until our next land vacation in or near the Benelux...

Well I like Madurodam, but as said in combination with another place.

Be it The Hague as mentioned above or maybe Delft or even Haarlem.

The flowerauction early in the morning in Aalsmeer is nice or also "Zaanse Schans" is easy to visit (old still working windmills),but then Amsterdam itself has also a lot to offer.

Well I like Madurodam, but as said in combination with another place.

Be it The Hague as mentioned above or maybe Delft or even Haarlem.

The flowerauction early in the morning in Aalsmeer is nice or also "Zaanse Schans" is easy to visit (old still working windmills),but then Amsterdam itself has also a lot to offer.

And a lot will depend on how tired we are after a very port-intensive (14 port days out of 16) cruise. Thanks for all your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we will be sailing Aug. 2 on the Century. We plan to arrive in Amsterdam on July 30 and currently have 3 nights reserved at the Banks Mansion. Could you tell us where we can purchase some (3-4 bottles) Dutch or Austrian wines to take on board for the dining room and also some hard liquor?

Thanks.

For wines and liquor etc., closest to Bank Mansions's Hotel I think will be the shop of Gall & Gall at Prinsengracht/Elandstraat. That is not that far from - just a little more south on the other side of the canal close to Ann Franks house.

In Reguliersdwarsstraat - walking distance from your hotel - there is a small supermarket of AH, with beer and probably a small selection of wines for sale.

Archived