Jamaica - Plantation

beshears

First, before anyone says something, Yes, I can go to the Jamaica area, but it doesn't seem like they get as much response, as this area, so that is why I am asking here.

If you have been to Jamaica within the past year or two, do you know, or were you able to see a plantation?  We were there many years ago, and I am taking 7 others with me, and I would love for them to see a plantation too.

4 minutes ago, Carol1560 said:

Loved it.  Actually we went to the pineapple plantation around 2005.  Croyton was the name

this past summer we went again and still LOVED it.  Very informational and the ride is beautiful

I highly second Croydon!  One of the best excursions we've ever done.   The Jamaican women had prepared an absolutely delicious meal for us. 

Depending on what your idea of a "plantation" is and how the the site guides present itself.  Can be a conflict if one is looking just to be served a good lunch but gets presented with some of the harsh and inhumane realities of what plantation life was really about.

On the other hand, if one wants to know the true history, but gets fed a "whitewashed" version of everyone working happily together for the landowners, that can also be controversial.

When I first started visiting the Caribbean, the history of slavery was downplayed for foreign visitors.  Over the last 35 years, I've seen a shift towards a factual rendition of history, and that may make some uncomfortable, especially if they weren't expecting it.

Today, no one should deny that  plantation life was built on slavery.  JMO, YMMV.

• Like 2