Transport from airport to pier in Texas

Diggerof4

I am reaching out hoping someone can point me out to a board already started on this subject.  I have looked and looked until my poor eyes are tired. 

Can someone point me to a board and/or give advice reg:  Landing in Houston Texas and try to get to Galveston to the pier. 

Might as well through a 2nd question, should we stay in Galveston (Pre-night cruise) or stay in the Houston area....or it doesn't matter.   

8 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

I am reaching out hoping someone can point me out to a board already started on this subject.  I have looked and looked until my poor eyes are tired. 

Can someone point me to a board and/or give advice reg:  Landing in Houston Texas and try to get to Galveston to the pier. 

Might as well through a 2nd question, should we stay in Galveston (Pre-night cruise) or stay in the Houston area....or it doesn't matter.   

Carnival does offer transfers to GAL from both IAH and HOU. I live close, so I drive to the port. However, I did use it in San Juan, and it was efficient.

IAH is on the north side of Houston and about 2 1/2 hours on a good day from Galveston. That is taking into consider much of Houston is dealing with roadwork on major roadways. HOU is on the southside nearer to GAL (Hobby, which accommodates many Southwest and some AA) is 45 -60 minutes from GAL. 

First of all, I would come at least a day ahead and spend the night in GAL. There is enough to do to occupy a day or two.

As for mode of transportation, if I decided to arrive the day of the cruise, I would CCL transfer from either airport. If I came in early and  $$$$ wasn't a big issue. I would UBER from HOU, and private transfer from IAH. Of course you could always rent a car.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CC Rider 69 said:

Carnival does offer transfers to GAL from both IAH and HOU. I live close, so I drive to the port. However, I did use it in San Juan, and it was efficient.

IAH is on the north side of Houston and about 2 1/2 hours on a good day from Galveston. That is taking into consider much of Houston is dealing with roadwork on major roadways. HOU is on the southside nearer to GAL (Hobby, which accommodates many Southwest and some AA) is 45 -60 minutes from GAL. 

First of all, I would come at least a day ahead and spend the night in GAL. There is enough to do to occupy a day or two.

As for mode of transportation, if I decided to arrive the day of the cruise, I would CCL transfer from either airport. If I came in early and  $$$$ wasn't a big issue. I would UBER from HOU, and private transfer from IAH. Of course you could always rent a car.

I hope this helps.

Just to clarify.  ALL of SWA's flights go into Hobby.  They do not operate out of IAH.

And while CCL transportation AND Ubers are options, many (most?) will use one of several private shuttle bus services.  They can be found discussed in the Gulf Port section.  Personally, we flew in the night before into Hobby, stayed inexpensively near the airport using the hotel shuttle, and took a private shuttle bus to the ship in the morning.  About 45-60 minutes down the highway from Hobby to Galveston.  Have fun!

• Like 1

yes,   North American Home ports Board

Gulf Coast Departures has a few threads regarding transportation from Houston to Galveston .

We are flying in to Hobby and using VIP Express to get to Galveston.   They are also picking us up after the cruise to take us back to airport.

I'm sure it's probably more expensive to stay in Galveston than in Houston but most posts I've read pretty much state that there's much more to do in Galveston than in Houston (at least if you stay close to airport).  Especially if you don't have a car.  Much more to do that's in walking distance in Galveston.   Or so I've read.

Either way, we've never been there so decided to fly in a couple of days ahead of time to spend some time there.

Either flying in the day of or the day before I would use https://galvestonexpress.com/ I have used them multiple times and always had great service.

If you have a large group you could also call Zaman Limo.  By far the most affordable private car service I could find for a group of 6.  The ph # is  (832) 267-511.

We always fly in the day before and stay at the Four Points by Sheraton hotel.  Great location for restaurants and activities.  

There are lots of dining choices along Seawall Blvd. in Galveston, but the most interesting area of Galveston to me is The Strand (located right next to the port).  There’s dining, shopping, entertainment, history, etc.  all within about 6 square blocks of walking. 

20 hours ago, MinnesotaCruiser423 said:

Either flying in the day of or the day before I would use https://galvestonexpress.com/ I have used them multiple times and always had great service.

If you have a large group you could also call Zaman Limo.  By far the most affordable private car service I could find for a group of 6.  The ph # is  (832) 267-511.

We always fly in the day before and stay at the Four Points by Sheraton hotel.  Great location for restaurants and activities.  

Thank you and I have called them.  Cruise in 2021 for possible of 16 people.  I am arranging what I can and try to get a jump on it.  I know with that many people not everyone will arrive and departing at the same time.  So, I wanted info for those couples.  Thank you.  And I will check out the other boards.