costa maya/ Cozumel/ mahogany bay

stellarose

I am not cruising until November, but i found a tour on Mahogany Bay (Isla Rotan) by Victor Bodden, he has great reviews on Trip Advisor. I booked outside of Carnival Cruise. I didn't find anything that I liked through Carnival for a decent price and Victor has me covered for less than what I would have spent through the cruise. I should add, I have booked through the cruise line for my additional tours at our other stops.

I have in the past been to both Costa Maya and Cozumel on Princess, I did book through them for my excursions. Cozumel I booked the beach break with the drinks, was reasonable, the beach was nice and had palapas (sp) for shade, food and unlimited drinks. In Costa Maya I did a chocolate tour and sight seeing, again booked through the cruise line and it was actually pretty nice.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by taxesbyt

Mr. Sancho's through Viator for Cozumel. Pool bar, all the food you can eat (there's a buffet and you can also order from a menu and they bring it to you), and open bar. You can book from Mr. Sancho's site but Viator hasa better deal if you see the ads hereon CC.

Edited by canes20

Costa maya has plenty to see right at the port. Mahogany bay is a free beach day. Both of those can be enjoyed without buying excursions.  They do though, offer a lot more to see other than what is at the port.

Cozumel you can either book an excursion, or look through the excursions for something you'd like to do, then maybe come back here and ask are there cheaper ways to do the same thing. They have abog port area too, but no beach that's easily accessible like mahogany bay. 

What activities are you considering?

We like Nachi Cocom in Cozumel.  All inclusive.  Pool, swim up bar, hot tub.  All you can eat and drink. Loungers and umbrellas.  Very laid back, plenty of room, you don't feel like you're stacked together and crowded like Mr. Sanchos.

For Roatan, we've gone zip lining a couple of time at Pirates of the Caribbean.  You book this through their web page.

As for Costa Maya, we have only been there once and I wasn't very mobile so we just hung around the port.

Costa Maya - I have only been once and hung out at the port. I wish I would have booked a beach package.

Cozumel - We like Paradise Beach. Small entry fee and reasonable priced drinks. They have a pool, beach, shade, sun, water toys, kayaks etc. It's a good option if you don't want an all inclusive.  Last cruise we took the Champagne Catamaran Snorkel and Cruise and it was amazing!!!  I booked through Carnival but was able to price match using Viator.

Mahogany Bay - We used 2ksadventures for the zip, sloths, monkeys, chocolate tour. They have other options too.

I second Victor Bodden tours. We have used them three times and they are great. You can do a private tour or one of the standard tours. Be sure to hold a sloth if you take that tour. We had two big guys (250 pounds plus) on our tour and it was amazing seeing them cuddle a sloth. 

Victor Bodden gives you so much information before hand you will feel very comfortable once you arrive as to what you need and where to meet. They are very reputable.

I agree. Definitely do a private tour with Victor Bodden. Don't know if you and your family is into snorkeling... West Bay (Tabyana Beach) has outstanding snorkeling right there off the Beach. Yeah, don't limit yourself to Mahogany Bay. Have an adventure, your on vacation. 😊

http://www.boddentours.com/  victorbodden@yahoo.com 504 9910-5217

Mahogany - google Little French Key...it's been one of my favorite excursions ever.  

Cozumel - we're headed there end of year and im looking at something via resortforaday website.  The resorts on Cozumel don't compare super well with their counterparts on the mainland but I still like the island. 

Costa Maya - we went to the famous place whose name I cant remember owned by an ex-pat.  got a bucket of beers, some chips and guac and stayed in the ocean most of the time. 

We are going on an itinerary that includes these ports next February and are doing the following:

Mahogany Bay - Free Beach day.

Cozumel - Carnival excursion to "Passion Island all inclusive"  We did this back in February on another cruise and it was wonderful.

Costa Maya - Doing a tour of the Chacchoben ruins with Native Choice Tours.

On 9/4/2019 at 6:36 PM, stellarose said:

I need more expert advice from the fellow CCs-

what is there to do? do I book an excursion through carnival?

DH, 18 year old son, 16 year old daughter. - 

respond. 

Our suggestions,,,,1) is our choice, 2) on are what we consider others,,,,

Cozumel, 1)Mr Sanchos 2)Playa Mia both are all inclusive, both have pools and nice beaches!

Costa Maya, 1)the port has a dolphin experience, a free large pool area with lots of not free drink/food/shopping areas. 2)You could also go about 2 miles down the road to Mahahual Beach area, or 3)Bus off to some Indian Ruins!

Mahogany Bay, 1)there a free beach area at the port, with other activities offered, there are excursions to 2)Little French Key private excursion, and Carnival excursions 3)Big French Key, 4)Maya Cay