Upgrade offer on cruise starting in less than 2 weeks - what to offer?

drbabe

I haven't sailed NCL in years, but I just bought a back to back a couple of days ago.  Today got this "priceline"  style bid offer for upgrade from inside (single occupancy) to ocean view or balcony.  I would like to upgrade to a balcony.  I don't know what to do.  This is an undersold cruise, leaving in less than two weeks.  They're asking 0-400 for the bid for the balcony.  I don't know if they'd base this on double occupancy, even though it's single occupancy.  I don't know if these are likely to be bought or not.  

Has anyone been in this situation?  NCL says I'd be charged twice what I bid, because it would be based on double occupancy.  It's so close to sailing, that I guess that they're pretty desperate.  What should I offer?  $50?  $100?  More?

What is the cost difference between what you paid vs the sailaway balcony for a solo?  I was once able to upgrade to a balcony by paying the difference in fares - which was significantly lower than going the bid route.  As a solo I think you actually have more leeway because they can put you into basically any cabin they have available. 

You are correct that if you bid $100, you will pay $200 - I don't know if they would apply a solo discount if that's a perk on your particular cruise.

From what I've heard, the upgrades are pretty much a lottery, so whether or not the amount you bid is factored in seems to be a very well guarded secret.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Also, just because they offered you the opportunity to bid doesn't mean that they are undersold.  I've gotten the right to bid long before the sail date on some cruises.  If they happen to have an empty balcony and they can get a couple hundred bucks from someone that is already booked, that's more money in their pocket and a potentially happier customer.  It doesn't cost them anything to upgrade someone to a better cabin (unless it's a cabin with perks).  So the upgrade, if any, may not happen until right before your cruise date.

Thanks to all.  What I found out is that one would be charged double the bid, to get the upgrade.  So if you bid $50, you would be charged $100 (since they apply it as double occupancy).  Also, they would not charge another base fare if it was bought as single occupancy.

I put in a bid.  Cruise leaves in less than two weeks.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

we did get a bid on our getaway in March. Double occupancy, I bid 50 OV, 100 BAC and we got moved to ocean view for 100.00 total. It was a great bargain and much bigger cabin near the front of the ship. We are sailing on the escape in three weeks and just did the same bid. Ill let you know if it comes through.