Royal Caribbean Questions

My family and I are trying to decide which cruise line to choose.  I’ve never been on Royal Caribbean and was curious about reviews I have read.

From my readings it appears shorts and tank tops are a no no, men must wear jeans or slacks and women dresses or slacks.

also, the free food options are not as many as Carnival. They have the windjammer cafe but specializes in specialty restaurants that cost extra,

Last item, do you really need to bid on upgrades?

any truth on these?

• 2 weeks later...

The prohibition on shorts/tank tops for men on Royal is in the evening in the main dining room. It is not a general rule. Royal is very casual, generally, though many do still dress up for dinner and dress formally on the formal nights. It is not required, even on formal nights, but there are dress suggestions for the dining rooms and restaurants.

The number of food venue options included in your cruise fare varies by ship on Royal. Many of the larger ships and some of the smaller classes that have been redone have additional complimentary options. But unfortunately, there is a big push from Royal to get additional revenue from specialty restaurants that incur a cover charge or otherwise charge. We tend to stick with the main dining room for dinner (and lunch when open on sea days), and the windjammer for breakfast, and have found the offerings work for us. When my husband really wants a nicer steak, he can get it at dinner in the main dining room for an upcharge that is nowhere near the cover charge for dining in the steak restaurant, Chops.

• Like 1