Fishing

Firepath

Looking at options for mid-August. What port is best for a fishing excursion and is it best to do one with the cruise line or independently? Can the fish be shipped back home? I saw something I think was old where one of the large cruise lines would cook your catch that evening. Not sure if that's even an option anymore. 

3 hours ago, Firepath said:

Looking at options for mid-August. What port is best for a fishing excursion and is it best to do one with the cruise line or independently? Can the fish be shipped back home? I saw something I think was old where one of the large cruise lines would cook your catch that evening. Not sure if that's even an option anymore. 

There are very few cruise ships that will agree to cook fish caught be passengers. The US Public Health Service specifically forbids it - unless a lot of official paperwork certifying the quality of the fish is filled out by pre-approved professionals. US Flag ships are not required to follow these regulations. You may be able to do it on one of them.

Yes, fish can be shipped back home. Final cost will be about 5 times what it would cost you to just buy it at home.

I think the going rate in Ketchikan this summer was around $2 lb for processing.   Then you FedX the pkgs to your home at a pre-determined date .... you'll have to calculate that chg yourself based on your location.

(We live in WA so we bring it home as excess luggage.)

I don't know if the cruiselines offer a cook your catch excursion, but there are vendors who will do so.  You'll just need to look at each port web site and Visitor Guide to see who will provide this service.  Also some of the Visitor Guides provide info on timing of fish runs. If not, look at the Alaska Fish Game site which is also included in the attached thread.

• Like 1