NCL Spirit

Cricket1997

How is this boat? Looking at a 8 day cruise out of NY Feb 07! Thanks, Crystal

My very first cruis was on this ship on 12/29. It is awesome sailing out of NY...need to do that at least once.

Ship is nicely decorated.

Cabin was an outside with picture window..adequate size

Bathroom was roomier then I thought.

Crew was fantastic!!! A+ service

Food....you may see many complaints but we had no problem.

Ocean may be rough & choppy till you get way south...this is out of the cruise line's control..it's just the way it is with the Mid Atlatic in the winter.

Have a fabulous time !!:) :)

SHIP IS SMALL,one pool only ,food....they make you to go to special rest. to pay extra.I never had bad food before,but baked potato with caviar,oax tail :confused: .....Sea is very rough from NY so think twice if you get sea sick easy.Service is min.I would never cruise Spirit again,but I know Dawn,and Jewel much better ships.

SHIP IS SMALL,one pool only ,food....they make you to go to special rest. to pay extra.I never had bad food before,but baked potato with caviar,oax tail :confused: ...

Just because the food is prepared in a way that you're unfamiliar with or contains ingredients that you're not accustomed to doesn't make it bad. My mother prepares an oxtail soup that is delicious. I personally don't like caviar but garnishing a potato with caviar doesn't sound outrageous to me; it just sounds like a chef trying to experiment. Isn't that part of the cruising experience - trying new dishes? If you don't like it, you can always replace it with something else. That's one of the pluses of dining on a cruise ship vs. a land-based restaurant - trying several dishes doesn't cost you extra.

I'm not sure that GOLDENBONNY was on the same ship as us. The NCL Spirit that we've been on is not a small ship, has more than one pool, has great food, excellent service and we would cruise her again in a heartbeat. We never felt the need to go to a specialty restaurant because the food in the main dining rooms was wonderful.

Just as in life, your cruise is what you make of it. If you go into it (like I'm sure some do) thinking that things will be sub-par, then that's what will happen. If you go into it knowing that nothing in life is always perfect, but you will roll with the punches and make the best of it, you'll have a great time.

All in all - Yes, sail on the Spirit; you will love it!

Hikini:D

The Spirit does not have only one pool. There is the large main Tivoli Pool, a large pirate themed pool in the aft and an aquaswim pool for those who would like to swim "laps" against the current, in the spa. There is also a small wading pool for the little kiddies.

We loved this ship. Ambience and decor were unique and lovely, crew was friendly and efficient, food was good to great. I liked the size of the ship. There were many venues to check out and always plenty for me to do.

(Edited to say...guess we were clicking at the same time. Hi Hikini & John)

Seems this thread has taken a left turn. Previous posts/threads for this ship have appeared to be good reviews, with the exception of varying opinions of the food. As with virtually every single "specialty restaurant" post to date, all of the specialty restaurants are great, everyone enjoys them, everyone typically says they were well worth the minimal charge. The main restaurants appear to have limited the selections of beef and have many, many fish dishes and some chicken.

As far a caviar on the baked potato, I assume that you could simply ask for the caviar to be excluded or brought on the side, just as with every other dish that comes out of the kitchen.

Check the CC start page, http://cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299. Here's a very informative review.

Have fun.

(Edited to say...guess we were clicking at the same time. Hi Hikini & John)

Hi, Julie. Haven't seen you much on the boards lately. Hope all is well. I'm sailing on the Spirit 10 days from today. I have you and many other CCers to thank for making so many informative posts concerning the Spirit. It really helped me make an informed decision.

While the Spirit isn't the largest and newest ship in NCL's fleet, it isn't that much smaller or older than the Dawn. I like to think of her as being a slightly earlier and smaller version of the Dawn....

The Spirit is a beautiful ship, worthy of being Star Cruises, NCL's parent firm, first new build, unique with its wonderful Asian decor. Obviously Goldenbunny was upset in seeing only one pool on the lido deck, but its huge. Plus there is a delightful kiddie pool aft. And the aquaswim indoor pool is very nice, especially when its cold and rainy outside.

I have always enjoyed the food and menus at Norwegian main dining rooms, there is no need to pay for the speciality restaurants to be served good food. I'm one who likes to taste new dishes from different countries. While maybe not a five star restaurant, I would rate the main restaurants as 3 stars, meeting my expectations. Of course, I'm easy to satisfy. The one time I didn't like what I ordered, I ordered something else. Yes, the food in the main restaurants are manufactured, how else do you expect the chefs to cook for 2,000 diners? And yes, the food in the speciality restaurants are better, the food is cooked to order and the restaurants are much smaller.

If you're happy eating sirloin, rib-eyes, and tenderloin steaks the main dining rooms will suffice. If you have to have a filet or porterhouse t-bone, I suggest dining in the speciality restaurants. The main dining rooms are continental dining rooms, with many European styled dishes, but not necessarily French. If you wish to dine in an upscaled French restaurants, I suggest dining in the Le Bistro. The main dining rooms are not American grills by any means.

If you are expecting five star service and food from a galley serving 2,000 people in the main dining rooms, you are a fool....

Just because the food is prepared in a way that you're unfamiliar with or contains ingredients that you're not accustomed to doesn't make it bad. My mother prepares an oxtail soup that is delicious. I personally don't like caviar but garnishing a potato with caviar doesn't sound outrageous to me; it just sounds like a chef trying to experiment. Isn't that part of the cruising experience - trying new dishes? If you don't like it, you can always replace it with something else. That's one of the pluses of dining on a cruise ship vs. a land-based restaurant - trying several dishes doesn't cost you extra.

you dont put caviar on HOT potato!!!!!!with sour cream:eek: No normal chef will do it,caviar melt on hot,thats why you serve it on ice,bread,or crepers

Hi, Julie. Haven't seen you much on the boards lately. Hope all is well

I've been here, reading mostly, keeping my finger on the pulse of the cruise world.:) I was feeling nostalgic for the Spirit, so I thought I'd drop in here and add my 2c.

As to the menu's, I guess there have been some changes since I sailed 5 months ago, but at that time it was standard NCL good to excellent food and variety.

I'm curious, GOLDENBONNY, did you ordered the baked potato with caviar? It was listed on the menu on my recent Spirit cruise and semi-recent Star cruise. I actually did order this (by accident;) ) on the Star. The caviar was not melted there was no sour cream.

Room service tip: WOW on the veggie pizza and chocolate mousse.

Thanks for the pictures, electricron. Now I am really homesick ;) . I spent many a contented hour on that aft deck, soaking in that feeling that you only get on the open sea on a beautiful day.

Happy cruising all.

I've been here, reading mostly, keeping my finger on the pulse of the cruise world.:) I was feeling nostalgic for the Spirit, so I thought I'd drop in here and add my 2c.

As to the menu's, I guess there have been some changes since I sailed 5 months ago, but at that time it was standard NCL good to excellent food and variety.

I'm curious, GOLDENBONNY, did you ordered the baked potato with caviar? It was listed on the menu on my recent Spirit cruise and semi-recent Star cruise. I actually did order this (by accident;) ) on the Star. The caviar was not melted there was no sour cream.

Room service tip: WOW on the veggie pizza and chocolate mousse.

Thanks for the pictures, electricron. Now I am really homesick ;) . I spent many a contented hour on that aft deck, soaking in that feeling that you only get on the open sea on a beautiful day.

Happy cruising all.

I EVEN MADE A PICTURE OF IT,JUST IN CASE NOONE BELIVE ME:cool:

you dont put caviar on HOT potato!!!!!!with sour cream:eek: No normal chef will do it,caviar melt on hot,thats why you serve it on ice,bread,or crepers

I accept that you don't like and don't expect caviar on a hot baked potato. That doesn't make it wrong or bad. It just means that you yourself don't like it. A quick Google search produced numerous recipes and articles that describe preparing baked potatoes with caviar as a garnish. Clearly, it's not all that unusual. But to you, a "normal chef" wouldn't do it. Check out the following links:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CaviarPotatoes.htm

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/30289/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A738687

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-04-10/349.asp

http://www.culinarymuse.com/weblog/2004/12/the_perfect_bak.html

Creative chefs experiment all the time. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Many times, when it works, everyone says, "Why didn't I think to combine those ingredients?"

Does the spirit have a caribbean / reggae band by the pool? Is there a Mexican Restaurant (Salsa) on the Spirit? Also, what is the weather like on a 7 day Bahama cruise - will it most likely be hot for at least several days? Is there a high percentage of docking at Great Stirrup Cay? Thanks!

-Matt

I don't know about a reggae or carribean band by the pool. When we sailed on the Spirit it was to AK in Sept. There was the ships band, 60280 and they played a lot of ABBA type stuff. Also, in the bar in the atrium (up above the reception area) was a couple (maybe from Jamaica) and I really enjoyed their singing and his footwork. I'd like to see them again.

I too enjoyed the pool area at the back of the ship. We spent a lot of time back there, just gazing out to sea, or when in port, looking around or sitting at a table sipping our drinks. A great, relaxing area.

I loved the Spirit (or have I said that already in this thread). Each of the 5 people in our group that sailed on her in Sept 05 heartily agree that we'd love to sail on her again someday.

Hi Zimmerjulie!

Hikini:D

Also, what is the weather like on a 7 day Bahama cruise - will it most likely be hot for at least several days? Is there a high percentage of docking at Great Stirrup Cay? Thanks!

-Matt

We cruised out of NY (Dawn, though) to Bahamas/FL in Feb'04 and it happened to be cold both in NY and FL/Bahamas that week. BUT, that is not normal for FL in Feb., just look at weather.com to get averages for the week you are considering. That year and the following year to S. Carib. the 1st full day at sea was cool but we wore a fleece jacket and jeans and still enjoyed being outside on deck eating lunch, reading, and relaxing, more like a Fall day. There were many enjoying the hot tubs.

FL/Bahamas route the ship followed the shore line closely and one night, returning to our cabin we had a beautiful view of Atlantic City from our balcony!

Don't know about percentage of tendering at the private island, but on our trip we were not able to tender due to high winds so we went to Nassau instead that day. The next day the ship was able to tender, and we had a lovely day on the beach albeit a little cool for our group (6 adults) to venture in the water but the beach was crowded and many were swimming and enjoying themselves.

I would take this trip again in a heartbeat; just wonderful being on a cruise and away from the nasty weather in NY. There's plenty to do on board ship or just relaxing is very nice too. You should have a good time.

My very first cruis was on this ship on 12/29. It is awesome sailing out of NY...need to do that at least once.

Ship is nicely decorated.

Cabin was an outside with picture window..adequate size

Bathroom was roomier then I thought.

Crew was fantastic!!! A+ service

Food....you may see many complaints but we had no problem.

Ocean may be rough & choppy till you get way south...this is out of the cruise line's control..it's just the way it is with the Mid Atlatic in the winter.

Have a fabulous time !!:) :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wheww!!!!!

Thank you for this post. Dh and I are leaving on the Spirit on 2/9/06 and reading some of the post here made me a little enny menny bit nervous.

Thanks big time for your honest and straight forward post.

Happy Crusin'!

...SHIP IS SMALL...

LOL if the Norwegian Spirit is small, god help you if you sailed aboard a truly "small vessel." She's 77,000+ tons. Sheesh. Quite the large ship if you ask me.

The smallest ship I've ever been on in the cruise industry was Oceania Regatta, which by the way was without question the best cruise I have had in my entire life, that measures in around 30,000 tons. That ship isn't even considered "small" by professional standards. Rather, she is considered "mid-size."

Ships that are "small" would be selections of Seabourn's fleet, SilverSea's fleet, etc., many of which measure in under 20,000 tons.

I love this ship... as you can see, there are many others that do, too. I am cruising on her exactly 364 days after the last time (I didn't even realize that until an hour after I booked) and I am really excited to go.

I wrote a review last time, here it is: http://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianSpirit14.htm

She has been overhauled since then, although not many changes were made. There are others on this thread who are very familiar with the changes and can help you with your decision.

There are also others who are growing more incoherent by the day but maybe

that's

just

me.

Does the spirit have a caribbean / reggae band by the pool? Is there a Mexican Restaurant (Salsa) on the Spirit? Also, what is the weather like on a 7 day Bahama cruise - will it most likely be hot for at least several days? Is there a high percentage of docking at Great Stirrup Cay? Thanks!

-Matt

Hi - yes there is Caribbean music poolside but no Mexican restaurant on board.

I imagine you'll have at least four 'hot days'.

Have fun! :)

Archived