rolling ice chest permitted as carry on?

cydlet

I think I've read about some of you taking an ice chest on wheels aboard the ship, is this allowed at embarkation? We will be leaving on the Carnival Pride on Sunday and want to take ours it measures 13"x17", I believe the carry on limit is 11x17 , any input on this will be helpful.

Remember not to pack any booze or beer in the chest as you're bringing it on board because Security could take it away from you. Also, it's considered bad form to bring the chest into any public areas of the ship to consume your personal beverages---say you smuggle beer in your suitcase, you really can't drink that in the public areas like the pool.

I just measured my new ice chest I was planning on bringing - with my wine and water. It's 14" X 19". I wonder if I open it and let them inspect it carefully, they would let me go ahead and bring it with me. I surely don't want to have to check it:(

OK - I just read in my Carnival 'Welcome Aboard' booklet "In some ports you may carry on your luggage if it does not exceed 24"w X 16"h. Please check upon arrival at the terminal. Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on baggage."

SO - it looks like I might get lucky:cool:

Rhonda, I thought the measurements were 11 x 17? It would be great if they have changed that. Please come back and let us know if you have any trouble. I have a rolling cooler also that I wanted to carry on. Have a wonderful cruise:D

I just looked at the Carnival web-site and it DOES say 11 X 17. However, my booklet says larger. I guess I need to be prepared to 'check it':( Gonna have to wrap my wine bottles in bubble wrap, just to be safe - DEFINITELY don't want to have broken bottles of my favorite wine..................

Wine can be carried onboard.

But taking the wheeled cooler-- what time are you thinking about heading to the port>? You might not be able to get to your cabin til after 1- the cabins are not secured until then. so you will be wheeling it all over with you. Another thing to take into consideration...elevators are VERY Slow too at this time because stewards are using them to transport lugguage so you might have to carry it up and down stairs.

Consider checking it in as checked luggage

We use a smaller collapsible cooler.. one that holds like 24 cans and keep stuff cold as we use it will replace it as we go along. A huge cooler will take up way too much space in the cabin ..

--

a few years ago carnival did away with bringing stuff onboard becuase of the amount of rolling coolers being used as carry ons. It held up the line quite a bit. I dont think as many people use them today as they have in the past.

My friends and I like to have a small cooler in our room since we don't have a frig. OUr steward keep fresh ice in it - keep my sodas and water cold - then I stick in my bottle of Chardonnay a little while before I want to drink it. I bought a new one this last month (really nice soft-sided on), but it's bigger than I anticipated.

We'll see - I might end up 'checking it'. We don't put ice in it before we arrive - it's just really nice to have in our room:)

We have a rolling cooler that is also our carry on bag. It goes on the plane with us and through security at the ship. Here is the link to it.

http://www.ebags.com/travelers_club_luggage/16_rolling_cool_carry/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=7793

I works great. Only small problem is that you will need to dry it out before you repack things to come home. There is NO drain on it.

Archived