Mini-suite versus Haven on Med cruise

tray

We will be on a 10 day Med cruise on the Getaway in August 2020 and originally booked 3 mini-suites for our family. It appears that my niece (who was going to be rooming with our daughter) may not be able to go due to a job conflict, so I started researching solo rates versus other cabin options for my daughter. There is a Haven 2 bedroom suite, which would work out for our daughter to stay with me and my husband. Which leads me to my first question:  is the second bedroom a ‘regular sized room’? I’ve seen one or two photos but it’s hard to get a good feel. Second question: is it worth the extra $ (~$1;000 more), if we mainly want it for priority disembarkation in Santorini? And last question: if we change our cabin to the Haven and leave my son & his girlfriend in the mini-suite, will they allow them to use priority disembarkation with us? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, tray said:

Which leads me to my first question:  is the second bedroom a ‘regular sized room’?

It's small..

P1020071.JPG

...but for one person, it's great since they will have their own bathroom. The pullman would be folded up into the ceiling if not needed.

16 minutes ago, tray said:

Second question: is it worth the extra $ (~$1;000 more), if we mainly want it for priority disembarkation in Santorini?

Yes, mainly for all of the extra things that the Haven includes.

17 minutes ago, tray said:

And last question: if we change our cabin to the Haven and leave my son & his girlfriend in the mini-suite, will they allow them to use priority disembarkation with us?

Probably...

Speak to the concierge and he/she will probably allow it. Not guaranteed but probable.

I'll chime in (having stayed in the "kids" bedroom) on the Breakaway--it was fine with me.  I think you'd find that the main area of the Haven Family Suite is much nicer than the main area of the mini-suite.  More space (although probably not a bigger balcony), better seating area, better table area and better coffee/bar area.  And the main bathroom is terrific.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mike

The balcony in the two bedroom suite is about the same size as the standard mini-suite balcony on the plus ships, Escape and newer. It is about a quarter to a third larger than the thin balconies found in the Breakaway and Getaway mini-suites. The width is about the same but the two bedroom suite balcony has more than a foot of extra depth from slider to railing making it much more useful when more than one is out on it.

I have just come off the Star.  Getting off in Santorini bothered me a lot before leaving.  Tender tickets were distributed the morning of the Santorini stop from 8.30 - 9.30 am.  I got into the queue at 8.20 and we received tender number 3.  In the event we docked 90 minutes earlier than our planned 2 pm stop.  We had not even gone to lunch when they called tender number 1.  We ate quickly and we got off when tender 10 was called.  They were not even checking tickets.  We were actually on land just after 2 pm.  

Now this may well be that anyone with an excursion would not even have started to disembark yet so the early tenders were less full than usual.  

So for $1000 if it is only for Santorini disembarkation I would not think it worth it.  Over ten days there are lots of other advantages of being in the Haven though surely - and that will make it easier to cope with the heat of August.  

Also be warned, even if you do get priority for leaving the ship, you do not get priority for returning.  The tours drop you off at the top and you have to find your own way down.  We walked up the (600!) donkey steps,  it was a bit of a ‘can we do it’ challenge and we made it.  There were people walking down who had clearly not walked up.  Why would you attempt to descend when you had come to Santorini wearing heels???  We passed several women who were walking barefoot and carrying their heels.  That was not the Greek Island experience they had expected.  

Unless you are fit with good shoes use the cable car.  

We have done four Mediterranean cruises on NCL - all in the Haven and one other thing to consider is the Haven restaurant?  As trust me....when we are in the Caribbean?  I do NOT get up early to get off of the ship usually!  But when in Europe with SO much to see....it is very nice to be able to enjoy such personalized service while enjoying a sit-down breakfast early in the morning before you disembark.

We have done the two bedroom suite - but only for storing luggage in the second room.  But we ARE doing these for Thanksgiving cruise for the entire family!  It is a whole other ballgame when YOU are paying the bill!  So my thought is that if the person in the second bedroom is not paying for the trip....then it is totally adequate accommodations! lol