Celebrity Solstice --Alaska

nicknack

8 minutes ago, nicknack said:

I understand Butchart Gardens is very popular in Victoria BC and gets good reviews.  Anyone know why Butchart is not listed as a shore excursion for next summer on the Celebrity website for Alaska?

We have been to Butchart Gardens in the evening during Dec when they have all the light up for the holidays. It might have to do with your ship docks at 5:30 pm. You can rent a car downtown. The summer hours are 

June 1–August 31     8:45 AM–10:00 PM. It takes 30 mins to drive to the gardens. I really dont think you have time.

I can't imagine that it won't show up as an excursion after they get all the pricing and transportation contracts in place.  

Just of note, we've been to Butchart Gardens a couple of times ... it is wonderful so don't get me wrong when I mention another option. 

There are some gardens in Beacon Hill Park in Victoria ... the gardens are smaller but equally as wonderful in my opinion and you will still get plenty of walking of in if you go up and down all the paths.  Best things about it is it is you will see Mile Zero on your way there, it is not as crowded as Butchart, free to the public and within walking distance of the ship ... albeit, a bit of a walk, but, you can always take a horse drawn carriage there if you want to save your walking for the park.  When you have made your way through with the park, you can head out the back of the park and head into town.  You will first pass by the Royal BC Museum with a free totem pole exhibit in front of it.  Just a bit further down, to your right will be the Empress Hotel and you can take a free looksie around the property there.  Or, you can continue to the waterfront and check out the Parliament Buildings and catch a free guided tours if you are there before 4 PM.  OK ... this really started out to tell you about Beacon Hill Park but I went out on a limb with some additional things to do in one of my favorite cities of all times ... all at a very low or no cost.   

We are on the Solstice next summer too and I sadly noticed the same thing. We are in Victoria from 5:30pm to midnight. I saw previous posts where people were complaining that the time at Butchart Gardens on the excursion was too short, so I think they may not have it anymore. I think I read somewhere that the Gardens are open until 9 or 10pm, so I'm going to try to either find an excursion on my own or figure out a way to do it somehow. I've always wanted to go there and would be sad to be so close and not get to see it.

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can't imagine that it won't show up as an excursion after they get all the pricing and transportation contracts in place.  

Just of note, we've been to Butchart Gardens a couple of times ... it is wonderful so don't get me wrong when I mention another option. 

There are some gardens in Beacon Hill Park in Victoria ... the gardens are smaller but equally as wonderful in my opinion and you will still get plenty of walking of in if you go up and down all the paths.  Best things about it is it is you will see Mile Zero on your way there, it is not as crowded as Butchart, free to the public and within walking distance of the ship ... albeit, a bit of a walk, but, you can always take a horse drawn carriage there if you want to save your walking for the park.  When you have made your way through with the park, you can head out the back of the park and head into town.  You will first pass by the Royal BC Museum with a free totem pole exhibit in front of it.  Just a bit further down, to your right will be the Empress Hotel and you can take a free looksie around the property there.  Or, you can continue to the waterfront and check out the Parliament Buildings and catch a free guided tours if you are there before 4 PM.  OK ... this really started out to tell you about Beacon Hill Park but I went out on a limb with some additional things to do in one of my favorite cities of all times ... all at a very low or no cost.   

Very nice park. They have a section with baby goats. They are some much fun.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/beacon-hills-baby-goats-are-back/

7 hours ago, nicknack said:

I understand Butchart Gardens is very popular in Victoria BC and gets good reviews.  Anyone know why Butchart is not listed as a shore excursion for next summer on the Celebrity website for Alaska?

It is rather early for all of the excursions to be listed.  We really enjoyed the tour to the gardens.  We did the one which included the butterfly exhibit.  It was fascinating.  However, since it is a later arrival, I would try to get to the Gardens as soon as possible.  They are really special.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:04 PM, nicknack said:

As soon as you get off the ship you'll see more than a few tour drivers looking for business.  Plenty of time to get there, visit, and return.

• Like 2

I just now checked for our August 2020 sailing on Solstice and there are now two options for Butchart Gardens, one with tea and city highlights, the other with Craigdarroch Castle. Both start at 6pm and are around 4 hours. You may be able to see these now as well for your cruise.

Edited by Firepath

1 hour ago, Firepath said:

I just now checked for our August 2020 sailing on Solstice and there are now two options for Butchart Gardens, one with tea and city highlights, the other with Craigdarroch Castle. Both start at 6pm and are around 4 hours. You may be able to see these now as well for your cruise.

Yes, I see them.  Problem solved.  Thanks, everyone!