Sydney and Melbourne free walking tours

BoopTennis

I'm Free Walking Tours (green shirts) operates out of both Sydney and Melbourne.  Free Tours (orange shirts) only operates in Sydney.  The Free Walking Tours (both in Sydney and Melbourne) have over 2300 reviews on Trip Advisor with an average of 5 stars.  Free Tours Sydney has over 1000 reviews on Trip Advisor, also with an average of 5 stars.  I think either company will give you an excellent tour and I would just choose the one with the tour and/or tour time that best suits me.

FWIW, while I have not used either company in Australia, I have taken many free walking tours in the US and overseas and every one of them has been excellent. 

And just to make a little more difficult for you, there is also a service called "Sydney Greeters" and "Melbourne Greeters" where a local volunteer will meet you and take you around parts of the city.  This service is completely free (no tips accepted) and the guides participate because they love showing off their city.  Again, I have not done these tours, but I find it an appealing concept.  Note:  Unlike the I'm Free Tours where you can just show up, these "Greeter" tours require advance booking.  For more info, see:  https://sydney.greeters.info/

https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/melbourne/travel-information/visitor-information-centres/melbourne-greeter-service

• Like 3