NCL air tickets

goksucats

So we haven't always purchased air through the cruise line but we did for our May 2020 Alaska cruise.  We have previously purchased air through Disney and RCI as they will handle getting you to your cruise ship if flights are messed up.  We recently transferred our cruise to an agent and she has now informed us after speaking with NCL that they do not handle their air travel this way and they will not get.  This was our agents message to me.

"Yes, that's what they told me.  And I specifically asked what they do if flight delays cause my clients to miss the ship, what do they do.  He said it was up to the clients to meet the ship at the next port.  He was quite awkward trying to explain it because he knew it sounded bad.  Their air program leaves a lot to be desired.  There are other lines that handle it way differently."

Is this serious?  NCL won't get you to your next port? That's why you buy your airfare through the line.  

I was very surprised to read this as well and think many are still under this assumption.  My guess is NCL changed this policy when they started offering free or reduced airfare for many cruises.  But if you're paying full fare I would certainly expect them to provide this! 

If that isn't the case I would look into booking your own flights or have your TA handle this for you.  We always fly in the day before to play it safe.  Not sure if you're leaving from Seattle but we were on the Alaska cruise out of Seattle in August some years back and really enjoyed our time there prior to leaving for the cruise. 

Yes we are on the Norwegian Joy out of Seattle.  We haven't made our final payment so our TA said she could remove it.  Guess we will do that and have her set us up there a day or two ahead.  They need to be more clear about that as that will always be the expectation of anyone paying for their flights through the cruise line.  

Did you purchase the air by paying the full price of the flights - or did you select it as a promo and pay a reduced price?

It's a switch with the free/reduced airfare promo. I believe before they offered this promo if you paid for airfare through NCL it operated similar to other cruise lines (I could be wrong). But with the free/reduced promo they do not guarantee it. As @hallux said you can pay $25pp for a deviation to get you there a day or two before the cruise if you so desire. 

Edited by smplybcause