where is best chocolate in Southern Caribbean?

rabidewok

We are going to Puerto Rico, St.Thomas,St.Kitts,Grenada,Isla Margarita,Aruba. I was told one of these islands has some of the best chocolate in the world. Can anyone help me out with the island and name brand. Thanks in advance!

Well. . . having been to PR, St. Thomas, St. Kitts. and Aruba, I cannot remember of any spectacular chocolate on any of the islands. HOWEVER, when we were in Martinique, the Museum had just finished an exhibition called "Les Voyageaux de Pays Chocolat" or similar (my French is limited) meaning the Voyages of Chocolate Lands. (essentially) I know Grenada is known for Nutmeg, but not really sure of any Caribbean Island known for Chocolate.

Maybe someone else has an idea??

I know that there is a chocolate factory or some kind of chocolate villa that offer tours and demonstrations on the island of Grenada. We didn't go there, but we saw a lot of chocolate on the Mandoo tour that was being sold. I didn't buy any - too much food on the ship, but looked inviting.

Kaye

Good morning from England & Hello Rabidewok

The answere to your question is Isla Margarita. They have the best chocolate which contains a very high proportion of cocoa I think 70%.

The problem is getting hold of some. We have just returned from a month on the Star Princess which included calling at Isla Margarita. Very little tourism apart from when the ships dock and miles from anywhere. We got together with a group and went to Laguna De La Restinga in an OLD local bus, the trip is a boat ride to see the star fish and sea horseand beach it rained but it was good. On the way back we asked the driver to stop at a local shop and we bought the chocolate and some wine which was 2$, the same wine was 12$ at the port. We sneaked it on board and put it into out refrigerator. You must buy some pearls they are very cheap, you may be able to buy some chocolate at the port as there are many stalls selling the pearls and other items. If you arange your own trip its worth while it helps if you can speak Spannish as you have to bargain with them. Have a lovely holiday

I have heard of a chocolatier on St. Maarten. Maybe that is the one?

Been to St Maarten. and I Believe there's a Chocolater from belgium there. You can have the goodies you buy sent to the ship.But it's been three years since we cruised the Southern route so I could be confusing the islands.Bill

We're visiting Isla Margarita in March, and apparently they sell one of the best chocolates in the world. It's called El Rey Chocolate and is available at one of the shacks in the straw market. I'm going to look for it too!

We bought several bars of the EL Rey Chocolate from one of the vendors at Isla Margarita. They have several varieties of dark, white and milk chocolate with varying percentages of cocoa. The bars were pricey at $3 each. We bought three for my daughter to bring back and share with her 4th grade classmates.

• 1 month later...

What a great topic. You've really peaked my interest the next time we go that side of the Caribbean :-)

I hate to be a downer, but you might want to ask the CD on your boat before you go purchase a bunch of chocoate to bring back to the states. I'm not sure if chocolate counts as "food". When you get off the boats, there are lots of signs and announcements about not bringing off any type of food, and I've seen people get handed $250 fines for forgetting about the bannana they put in their carry on to eat while waiting to get off the boat.

When we cruised Alaska several years ago, we left out of Vancouver, and so had to go through US customs coming back into the US in Seattle. We were told that I could not bring the fudge back that I had purchased in Anchorage, even though we purchased it in the US, as it had been on foreign soil (the NCL Wind), and thus could not be imported into the US.

Like the famous story of the gentlemen and his 12 closest strangers smoking a dozen cuban cigars coming into port, I had to share 3 lbs of the best fudge ever with those sitting around us waiting for Disembarkation :-(

I have read that Venezuelan chocolate is some of the best in the world. I haven't been there, so I can't say for sure that I've had it. I have purchased chocolates in the Caribbean, mostly gifts for others. There are some nice chocolatiers in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Maybe there is somewhere in the Caribbean islands where one could purchase chocolate from Venezuela.

Chris

I lived in Venezuela eight years. Isla Margarita is actually an island that belongs to Venezuela.

Yes, it is true that Venezuelan chocolate is among the best in the world. I bought various brands while I lived there, mainly because the same brand is not always available. It seems as if my preferred brand was called Sagrada Familia (Sacred Family), but I wouldn't swear to it and don't know if it is still available.

What was heavenly about Venezuelan dark chocolate is that while it was dark, it was never bitter. Another very special thing, it packed a wallop as if it were loaded with caffein. If I ate a little, I was "hepped up" for hours afterward.

If you can, buy several bars of this excellent chocolate. I used it to make super-delicious brownies and melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake and frosting.

As for bringing in food to the U.S., don't they mean you can't bring in raw food such as fruits, vegetables and ag products or flowers and plants. The reason is to keep insect pests and plant diseases out of the U.S. . I don't think they mean prepared food such as coffee beans in a bag, gound canned coffee,or wrapped, prepared candy and chocolate and canned goods. You can bring in bottled liquor, for sure. I'm not swearing that is exactly true, but that is the way I have interpreted the law.

I love chocolate. St Marteen has a great chocolate store near the dock when we get off the water taxi. You go to the right, about 3 blocks then left and the store is about a half a block down on the left side. They have a nice variety, very good chocolate, and they will get it to the ship for you unmelted. They have a website, but unfortunately they don't deliver to the U.S.

Archived