Recommendations for Mumbai

sunlover33

The photography tour in Cartagena is very authentic.  We were taken into the Art District which was a no go area (and I suspect parts still are). Our guide for that part of the tour was a community leader who used to run one of the gangs. The income from the tours goes to the community fund which is using art and sport to help everyone realise other ways of living. 

We met some shadier characters along the way, all new our guide and he was able both to reassure us but also them during the trip. 

I know what you mean about taking over but this was one trip where the cruiseline or their local agent working with the community seemed a win win situation and it could be a useful benchmark for other similar cultural discoveries 

These two were real characters 

F88B1619-91F6-4BB9-8A6B-17AEE7CF0B35.jpeg

699DBB44-7BFB-4E07-96FE-BDBFAF17D6A6.jpegIn this picture the wife is looking for people to come in to have their hair cut by the husband you can just see him inside. The guide was honest it’s probably not only hair cutting but she was so happy and welcoming 

Edited by uktog

• 3 months later...

We got a taxi from the Port gate (we were still on the ship with a night in port) to India Gate (equivalent to USD2).  Then we bought return ferry tickets to Elephanta Island - make sure you're in the right queue, there are ticket windows to several other destinations as well.  I'm not certain but I think ladies could use a shorter queue. 

On Elephanta Island you have to pay the entry fee in Rupiah cash but  I think you can buy them online in advance.  You can pick up a guide on the island but we had read up on it before we went so didn't bother.  There's a little train that runs from the jetty to the entry (Rp10 return).  It's slow - we were overtaken by a butterfly - but fun. 

The Island is well worth visiting and it wasn't difficult although we're well travelled.  I'd recommend taking some water and at least a snack although there were stalls on the island.

As we were staying in Mumbai for an extra day and have been before, we ended up just going back to the ship (by taxi again).

Hope that helps.