cruiseing is for the rich?

winny63

I mentioned our first cruise was the NY/Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago. DW originally decided we would take a land vacation to New England to see the foliage. I looked at flying from Texas to NY (or other places), renting a car for 5 or 6 days, booking hotels at all the locations we wanted to visit, meals, tours, etc etc - and flying back home. What a drag that looked like.

Then we said lets do a bus tour. Just the thought of that made me ill.

In both cases you had to drag bags everyday in and out of a hotel - or pick a central location and drive back and forth everyday which didn't look like a good deal.

Then someone my DW knows mentioned they were going on the cruise. When I figured it all out, the cost of the cruise and all that comes with it was just a tad more than our "land" trip with a heck of a lot less hassle, no bag dragging, and we leave the driving to them.

No more "land" tours for me.

Does anyone know a good cruise line that does trips between Texas and Wisconsin??????

What's great about a cruise is, it doesn't matter where your cabin is, bottom inside to top outside, you still get treated like you're rich. Ok the penthouses & suites get more, but not when they're on deck or in the dining room. Yes it might be more expensive to cruise than a resort, but

"you get what you pay for". I've never felt snubbed or like steerage, as they put it in the old days like the Titanic.

In my office one of our staff booked flights to West Palm Beach-Ft. Lauderdale during the last week of March 1st week of of April. The problem is she can not find a room for less than $200-300 per day because of Spring break traffic. That is just a room no meals, no entertainment, no sights, maybe a one crowded pool. If you look and time it right and are an informed consumer crusing is very affordable.

Cruising was once the pastime of royality & the very rich on the grand ocean liners.

These days there are more & more ships being launched & a cruiseline for everyones budget.

As an ex crew member I gave the same level of service to every passenger regardless of the cabin or suite they were staying in.

Now Im a cruiser myself who saves hard to be able to enjoy the luxury a cruise offers.

The great thing about cruising these days is you can get the 4/5 star service without breaking the bank.

Rich, me, only in lifes experiences thanks to cruising

We were also told that cruising was for the rich. That was 3 cruises ago and by now people who know us must have figured it is not.

One things is for sure , you will come back home enriched with fond memories and probably be hooked to cruising. Hope you have a great vacation.

12 days and counting on the Golden.

Ya know.

Terms like "rich", "old" or, other terms, I feel are words used as weapons by jealous people. Jealous people that can not express their emotions properly or perhaps don't fully examine their point of view before speaking about or, speaking to others.

I know people's perspectives are their realities. However, folks (including me, as I am cetainly not perfect) must remember to think before they engage.

I love cruises. I am not rich. I work hard and I make a personal choice to have the expenses for a cruise a priority in my life.

Have fun. Enjoy your cruise and savor the memories.....

Archived