Guest Emergency Drill

GlennG

My wife and I have booked a Panama Canal Cruise, on the ms Oosterdam, for January 2020.  We have cruised with Holland America Line for a number of years.  Our personal circumstances have changed since we last cruised.  My wife, specifically, finds climbing and descending stairs to be quite painful.  Arthritis and the after affects of a previous stroke makes life quite challenging at times.  We are concerned about her participation in the guest emergency drill.  We understand (and accept) that all passengers must report to the assigned emergency stations which are still located on Deck 3.  Our cabin is located on Deck 7.  I should also mention that my wife, at this time, does not use a wheel chair, cane, or walker.  In short, when she walks on flat, smooth surfaces, she can manage quite well.  Can experienced cruisers provide any advice on whether she can use the elevators to descend to Deck 3 so that we can participate in the mandatory emergency drill?

18 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Just take the elevator 10 minutes before the drill and you'll be fine.

On our last couple of cruises instructions were for everyone to return to their cabins and remain there until directed to leave.  Best to go to Guest Services and get directions on what to do now.

I suggest she get and bring a collapsible cane. She may not need it now but possibly will on the cruise or in the future.

Edited by catl331

Please remember in a true emergency you will both have to get to the lifeboats as quickly as possible.  Will this be a big problem?  The elevators should work on emergency power, but there is always the worst case scenario that you need to be prepared for.  Please think this through and be prepared with alternatives.

Compare apartment buildings where in a fire elevators are off-limits because they could get stuck or the experience a power interruption.  Things can go wrong.  

Definitely talk to Guest Services and see what they recommend.  Have a great cruise!

There are "stairway guides" with marked vests (blue/white lettering) at each elevator bay/public stairwell on all decks. Make them aware of your (your wife's) medical challenges and they will allow you to ride the elevator to Deck 3/Boat Deck. Like Sir PMP from The Hague in Holland suggested, don't wait until the 3rd alarm to do this but go a little before and you'll be fine.

Along the same token, the elevators will be quite busy for a while immediately after the conclusion of the drill so I would suggest to find a place to sit down (Atrium, public lounge, boat deck lounge chair - you might have to fold those out and/or ask a crew member to do it for you) until the "masses" have made it back upstairs, then take an elevator at your leisure to make it back to your cabin. Lastly, in a real emergency, there are several elevators designated as "emergency elevators" to get the mobility-challenged pax to their designated boat stations with crew members (passenger sweep teams) ready to assist. If there is a total power failure/black out, there are teams ready with both "stair descenders" and "stair climbers" to get mobility challenges folks to their assembly stations. It pays to be prepared!

Just a reminder, life vests are no longer worn by passengers for the mandatory passenger emergency drill! Enjoy your cruise!

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, shoes and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shoes and indoor

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for responding to our questions and concerns.  For many years, I just took for granted that we would never have to cope with the mobility problems associated with old age.  I have to confess that, in my younger years, I did not demonstrate a lot of empathy for senior citizens and their challenges.  The passing years have made us much wiser and much more tolerant.  We try not to complain as old age is a privilege.  Thank you, again!

• Like 3