Tipping

viper88

I am sure this is somewhere on this board, but doing a search on tipping yields plenty of threads.

Here is my questions:

We are booked in a junior suite for our first cruise. I am seen where we should tip more because we are in a suite. What is the rule of thumb on this?

Second, we will have our children with us. Should we tip for all of us or just the adults?

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in the same answer as you. Although a Junior suite is considered a suite, is it a full suite, with suite ammenities requiring more gratuity?

I'll partially answer a question for you. Yes, you do have to tip for the children. Some lines suggest half the amount if your child is under a certain age, like 3 or 5 or something like that. It would help to know the cruise line you are going on, each of them have their own suggestions. Personally, I've always tipped the full adult amount for my kids, especially for the wait staff. The kids take up the same seating at dinner as an adult and I do not feel it should impact the servers income for the week.

No insults, flaming or rudeness intended here, from me, as I realize you are asking a valid question. Be prepared for some people to scold you or others to defend the reduced tipping. Children and tipping becomes a heated topic. I feel it is up to you and what you are comfortable doing. Don't take any of the remarks personal, some people on these boards have a real agenda :confused: , I just consider it fun and informative.

Have a fun cruise!

I am cruising on Royal Caribbean. I just want to make sure I do what is right and proper. I know the employees don't make much $$$ from the cruiseline and depend on tips to make ends meet.

I figured since we are in a suite the tip rate would be higher. I want to make sure I have enough, in cash, to tip at the end of the cruise.

Thanks.

I just cruised RCCL with an 11 and 15yo. My sister was with us and she had her 7yo. For all the children we tipped the regular (not reduced) amount for both the wait staff and cabin steward. In my case they had their own cabin, therefore we HAD to tip the full amount and it never even occurred to me to tip less to the wait staff. I go with the envelopes filled with the exact right amount of cash to tip and i add more if i feel it appropriate. i pre-tipped the cabin steward as well as giving him more at teh end, even though he was mediocre at best and i gave more to the wait staff, but not to the matre'D, as I never even saw him. I gave him the suggested amount for all of us.

If your children are small, as someone else suggested (like 3 & 5) maybe less is appropriate, but i would consider how little they make to begin with and how they never have a day off.

A Jr suite would tip as a regular cabin-- the suites who tip more have the personal butler, concierge service, etc.

--

Tips for kids over the age of two should be the same as an adult. They are using a bed which will be made up, and served their dinner just like an adult. Even if they dont eat in the dioning room-- those seats are reserved for the week. The asst waiters also will be seen working in the buffet area.

Tipping suggestions are 10.00 per person per day.

Archived