Souvenirs from St Maarten???

mame2boyz

I brought back a bottle for my brother - I did not like it.

But in Marigot on the marina there are lots of open air booths and I found a woman selling shadow boxes with seeds, nuts etc. there were indigenous to St. Martin. Very tastefully done (dark wood frames) and I just love it. I have it hanging next to a carved mask I picked up in Cancun years ago and the carved mask I bought in Barbados also on this cruise. (Nov 05).

I also like to find things that are unique. In Mazatlan I bought a 12 set of handpainted tiles that depict a mural of a rural village we went to. I brought it home and framed them.

Anyway your best bet is to try the open air market type areas for handmade items.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't care for the guavaberry coladas. I purchased a wonderful painting from the "ladies in the square" There were thousands of paintings all depicting island scenes. Much to my Dh's dismay I had to find just the right one for our house. It is now beautifully displayed on the mantel over our fireplace as a wonderful reminder of our special day in St. M.

I'm planning on getting another one when we visit St. M again in October.

My wife, brother-in-law and sister-in-law got cool handmade hats on Orient Beach. I forget the guys name but he had what I believe were banana palms in a large duffel bag. He would custom size it to your head and "weave" it right there in front of you in a matter of minutes. Very memorable souvenir and it was only $20 - $25.

If you are in Marigot on Wed. they have a flea market by the marina. (I think on Sat too) The vendors have some really cool stuff. I brought back some really nice necklaces and earrings. The necklaces were on metal neck wires with glass stones wrapped in metal. Everyone loved them...They also have all kinds of spices. I really enjoyed the market. Didn't like the one with the handbags. Not friendly. Very french lol...Everyone else was extremely nice.

You will have fun just looking around.

If you venture into Frontstreet, there is a store called Gift World. There is a nice lady who makes her own unique hand made dolls dressed in traditional Caribbean outfits. She even names and signs the doll for you, which should make for a very personalized and memorable gift. If my memory serves me right, the lady's name is Marina, and the dolls are known as Reggae Dolls...

I also remember picking up lots of other local things, like spices, creole mixes, hot sauces and jams. Very authentic and traditional Caribbean souvenirs.

We saw these on St. Lucia only the dolls were two sided...hmmm let me try to explain.

The doll was normal until you turned it upside down and her long skirt flipped over to reveal another doll - both in traditional island dress. Really cute.

I don't care for the guavaberry liquer either BUT do like the steak sauce and barbecue sauce.. buy 4-5 of each when we are there.. the barbecue sauce is awesome for jerk chicken IMHO :)

I'll have to add it to my shopping list for my visit in October.

I guess guavaberry rum is something you have to to learn to mix with fruit juices to enjoy. Personally, DH & I love the coladas served at the emporium. Have brought back bottles of the special rum as gifts for others and now have a waiting list of friends who want refills when we get to the island again.

To each his own, I guess.

We purchased a small box of Belgian chocolates for some friends from the store on Front Street in Dec. Chocolates were pretty pricey, but our friends loved them. Mixed the box with white and dark chocolate. The chocolates will melt in your fingers, not just in your mouth. But the store will transfer the chocolates to your ship free of charge. You don't have to travel around the island with the candy in the bag.:)

Love the quality of the T-shirts offered in Phillipsburg, much better than those offered on many of the Caribbean islands, and the price is generally cheaper than on St. Thomas or other surrounding islands.

Dianne

I try to collect art/prints from local artist. Are they really $$$? I' look for things that are no larger than 11x14. I like it even better if it fits in a 8x10 frame. I need at least one more for my bathroom.

About the dolls. My mom collects them. Are they affordable? I don't mind spending up to about $30 for one.....depending on normal size.

Looks like I have a lot to shop for.:D

That's an easy one, especially for my wife. She even has a favorite souvenir store on St. Martin

Here is a link to a picture of her buying her souvenir the last time we went there: http://home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Summit/images/PICT0039.jpg

For me, my favorite souvenir is usually a nice T-Shirt from places we enjoyed a lot. So I have a nice T-shirt from Kakao Beach Club on Orient Beach.

Don't know about the dolls on St. Martin but the ones we saw on St. Lucia (if you are stopping there) were very well made and depending on size ran about $12.00-15.00 for one slightly larger than saw a Barbie doll but seemed bigger due to the skirt, hat etc.....

I also collect prints/watercolors from places I have been - found a really nice pre-matted one 8 X 10 in San Juan from a street vendor $ 15.00 !

Speaking of favorite souvenier stores - I have one just like your wifes on Antigua - where my husband bought me my 25th wedding anniversary present !!!!!!!!!!

For those who don't care for guavaberry liqueur or guavaberry rum, there are other liqueurs made on St. Martin (mango, spice, lime, etc.). They are all sweet (of course), but the lime and mango are tasty. They have little sampler packs and such that you can buy.

I think straight guavaberry liqueur tastes like cough syrup. Yuck. But, in a colada and with (this is the important part) a splash of fresh lime juice it is quite tasty, IMO.

beachchick

We collect Christmas ornaments wherever we go. I found a great one with St. Martin written on the bottom. It was the bust of an island gentleman with dreadlocks and a knit hat. It is one of our alltime favorites.

I agree, I'm not crazy about the guavaberry rum. But the same store sells an almond rum and a spiced rum that are wonderful!

Our favorite shopping place on St. Martin is the Greenwith Gallery. I think it's more or less across the street from the Guavaberry rum place. http://www.caribbeanhighlights.com/greenwith/default.htm

We bought a really pretty plate there that hangs on our kitchen wall (with other plates from our travels). And we've been eyeing a print there - I think we'll probably buy it this year if they still have it.

Archived