Escape Dining Reservations at Boarding

salty dingo

Does anyone recall where the dining reservation table is upon boarding? Was there ample availability if you book right on boarding?

I called NCL and was told on 20% of dining slots are available to book in advance; the other 80% are available starting at embarkation. Does this sound right?

Also, last question, do they let you change reservation times same day? We have a late slot reserved at Bayamo on embarkation day and would like to move it a bit earlier if possible.

We booked Escape 2x within 30 days and thus was unable to book dining reservations in advance.   Both times as soon as we boarded we went straight to the table set up in Headliners and was able to get reservations in the restaurants and at the times we wanted.  Some for 2 people and some for 4 people. 

Thanks McFins. That's what I was looking for. Will head to headliners as soon as we board and sort out the reservations.

I am considering cancelling my late Bayamo reservation for embarkation night and taking my chances with the available slots when I board.

2 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Thanks McFins. That's what I was looking for. Will head to headliners as soon as we board and sort out the reservations.

I am considering cancelling my late Bayamo reservation for embarkation night and taking my chances with the available slots when I board.

Download the NCL app, when you get to the terminal to check in, get on their wifi, you can make reservations from there. Best advice I've gotten from the great CC folks on here. While waiting to board I booked my dinners & got the days and times we wanted. Good luck & have a great cruise!

• Thanks 2

Don’t cancel your reservation. Sometimes it is easier to adjust the time on a reservation than making a completely new one. Don’t know why, but that is what I have heard. Anyway keeping it won’t effect being able to change to a different time and if you can’t get the time you want on board then you can cancel right then and there. You can also book a new time and cancel the old time on the app. 

Mary Ann

We've never had a problem changing a reservation to a different date or time on embarkation day.   Later in the week it can be almost impossible to get a preferred dining time.   

If you decide to not use a reservation, please be sure to cancel so that someone else has a chance at that day & time.

1 hour ago, worktocruise610 said:

Download the NCL app, when you get to the terminal to check in, get on their wifi, you can make reservations from there. Best advice I've gotten from the great CC folks on here. While waiting to board I booked my dinners & got the days and times we wanted. Good luck & have a great cruise!

Great advice! I will absolutely try that. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UFMOM said:

Don’t cancel your reservation. Sometimes it is easier to adjust the time on a reservation than making a completely new one. Don’t know why, but that is what I have heard. Anyway keeping it won’t effect being able to change to a different time and if you can’t get the time you want on board then you can cancel right then and there. You can also book a new time and cancel the old time on the app. 

Mary Ann

Ok, good to know. I thought there was a 24 hour advance notice policy but maybe that only applies to cancellation and not rescheduling.

We have to get up very early on embarkation day to travel, and we don't want to be dining during the sailaway, so I am thinking by 6:30 or 7:00 we should be well out to sea from NYC, if we sail at 4:00. I just think our current 9:30 time won't work as we may be too exhausted to enjoy dinner that late.

I'm not sure about this particular ship, but I will assume it is like all other Breakaway plus types and have the video kiosk outside the elevator lobby that allow you to make reservations - just make sure you have your key card with you. I would do that first thing getting on the ship if you are looking for a specific day/time that will fill up fast. The kiosk allows you to make reservations for dining, excursions, and shows pretty quickly. I loved to be able to look at the menus to see what the main dining rooms were having for the specials of the night so I could decide if I wanted to go there or to a specialty restaurant. I also made a shore excursion reservation on it and the tickets were in my room the next day after we returned from breakfast.

Edited by duck_keeper

19 minutes ago, duck_keeper said:

I loved to be able to look at the menus to see what the main dining rooms were having for the specials of the night so I could decide if I wanted to go there or to a specialty restaurant.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to look at the MDR menus to plan the specialty nights around those. Great to know, thanks!