hyatt in grand caymen

sb cruiser

Hello: We are in GC in two weeks. I called the Hyatt there and they are still selling day passes. It seems to me that it was around 79 pp for adults and a little less for children It seems like a nice property and we are thinking of going there.

Bill

We are going in March too, 12-19. SB when do you go?

The moderator of the Cayman Activity Guide (Joe) says day passes at the Hyatt are free for cruisers at least until their reno is done later this year. He quotes Food Services Director Brigette Brown. The only condition is to mention the Cayman Activity Guide, and not to show up in a large group. There is a thread about this on the CAG forum under the topic something like "How to Make the Most of One Day." This site loads slow if you use dialup.

Hey Bill if you check this out while yer there in Feb, we'll buy you a beer!

-Bob

Bob,

We will either be doing Nativeway RRR or the Hyatt. We will probably end up at the Hyatt as I am leary of taking my 5 and 8 year old to the Reef and Stingrays. I think they would do better at the resort with a pool and beach. I apprecite the heads up regarding the cost. The front desk did not tell me that when I called last weekend. If we in fact end up there I will post what I find.

Bill

Hey Bob, we are going on the Legend of the Seas and we sail March 25th. We have been to GC before and did the sting ray swim and now we just want to hang out at 7 mile beach and enjoy the beach. We were looking at the Hyatt because they have a pool for the kids in case they get tired of the ocean. I tried to call the Hyatt but they put me on hold so long I had to hang up.

I don't know if this has changed, but I was at the Hyatt last May. They sold me a day pass for $35 pp, and it included a $15 bar or restaurant credit. The facilities were beautiful and uncrowded, and the grill lunch was great. It was the best deal going. I hope that they still have the same offer when I'm there again in May on the Miracle. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Got some more news from the Cayman Activity Guide forums. A lady posted that she was there last week and the Hyatt charged her $70 p.p. which included a $30 drink credit. They hadn't heard of the CAG deal. They had a great time, lovely place, but 2 beers, some shots, and 2 frozen drinks ate up the credit. The moderator Joe replied that there have been many staff changes lately, and his contact person Brigette Brown, the Director of Food and Beverage, was off island at that time. He tells cruisers going to the Hyatt to say they want the CAG special (free pass), and if the staff doesn't know about it, ask for Brigette. He says she is "fully aware of the arrangement".

So Bill, our good old point man/scout, I'm thinking you should print that message and have it with you. Have you seen that thread yet? ... you have to register to read messages. If you use dialup it takes about 1.5 minutes to load each page, way slow site, but high speed is fine.

SB: I can also post for you when we return Mar. 19, would you still be around to read it?

Our plan B is to hit the Comfort Suites, it's free, or the Marriott Courtyard, only a chair fee of $8. But hopefully the Hyatt will work.

-Bob

Got some more news from the Cayman Activity Guide forums. A lady posted that she was there last week and the Hyatt charged her $70 p.p. which included a $30 drink credit. They hadn't heard of the CAG deal. They had a great time, lovely place, but 2 beers, some shots, and 2 frozen drinks ate up the credit. The moderator Joe replied that there have been many staff changes lately, and his contact person Brigette Brown, the Director of Food and Beverage, was off island at that time. He tells cruisers going to the Hyatt to say they want the CAG special (free pass), and if the staff doesn't know about it, ask for Brigette. He says she is "fully aware of the arrangement".

So Bill, our good old point man/scout, I'm thinking you should print that message and have it with you. Have you seen that thread yet? ... you have to register to read messages. If you use dialup it takes about 1.5 minutes to load each page, way slow site, but high speed is fine.

SB: I can also post for you when we return Mar. 19, would you still be around to read it?

Our plan B is to hit the Comfort Suites, it's free, or the Marriott Courtyard, only a chair fee of $8. But hopefully the Hyatt will work.

-Bob

Bob, I just read the post and you must have read it quickly, it was $70 for the 2 of them with $30 credit for food and drinks. That makes sense since most posts indicate that it's $35 per person with a $15 per person credit!

Are you looking forward to your cruise?

I'll be emailing you to find out how you made out at the Hyatt.

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn, my old bud from the 7 Mile Beach thread! Thx for the correction ... when I first saw your message I thought you had done the CAG message too and I was going to say what a party girl you were and how much you could drink, all those beers and shots and freezy drinks. I wonder if she could walk out to the cab :-) So I left Joe on CAG a message about me emailing Brigitte about the free deal, if he gives me her email I'll try that, nice to be able to pull that out of my pocket before the staff throws me in the surf. Or I might just email the Hyatt and ask the recipient to forward it to her. We'll see what he says. But his message did look promising.

We've been spoiled by finding so many resorts that don't charge cruisers for day use ... even $35 would bug us. The Mexican Riv was was best, free ones in every port, lovely resorts. Nice to have lunch/snacks there instead of a restaurant. Have you hit a lot of resorts on cruises?

-Bob

We were there last week and went to the Hyatt with our 2 girls. Very nice place. We had lunch and then just spent time at the beach. Were questioned once if we had a day pass and I mentioned the CAG - he looked like he didn't know anything about it, but I said we ate lunch there already and he walked on... Wish we had had longer to spend.

Enjoy!

Sweety: atta girl, maybe it was that death stare you gave him, but it saved you at least $70, the regular fee, more if they charged the girls too. Did you use their loungers on the beach? How much was food and booze?

-Bob

Upon Joe Stebbins' recommendation, we had the Soto's guy drop us off at the Hyatt after our Stingray City trip (can't say enough good things about Soto's!). A security guard came up to us before we could even sit down and informed us that the beach chairs were only for the use of Hyatt guests.

He directed us to the bartender to talk about the day passes, to whom I dropped the CAG and Joe's name, and he indicated no knowledge of either and gave us the $35 pp day pass spiel. Which he identified as a spiel, and then suggested with a smile that we could go next door to the Beach Club Colony for considerably less--only five bucks pp. Which we did. It's crowded compared to the Hyatt, but four of us were given four lounge chairs, and we had sun and sand and water. . . and a place to get something nice and cold to drink. :) When we were ready to go back to the ship, there was a shuttle out front that charged $4 pp to take us back to the tender pier. It was quite a deal.

The beach was sectioned off according to various cruise lines, since they were selling beach excursions, but no one minded that we were the only Carnival people there.

Sue

Hello all:

I have just recently spoke with bridgett Brown at the Hyatt. She advised that the Cayman Activity Guide special is no longer available as having so many people at the resort during the days has caused problems with the other guest due to the crowds. Anyway she advised that a day pass was $35 pp and that would include a $15 credit for the bar/resteraunt. She was extremely nice and we still plan on stopping by the resort as I prefer to pay a fee to avoid the crowds.

Bill

Sue, thx for the update. They probably couldn't tell you were Carnival cruisers b/c you were so well behaved ... bet that was hard to do!

Bill, well done, thx for nailing this down. That rate is cheaper than many resorts charge. We might still try for a freebee at the Comfort Suites or the $8 deal at the Courtyard. You go pretty soon, when you get back post how it went.

Bon Voyage!

-Bob

So when coming to the Hyatt, do you just go up to the main desk and ask for a day pass or just head around to the beach side and test the security's reaction times? :p I'm willing to shell out the $$$ to get away from the crowd and enjoy a great stretch of beach. Also, my DW wants to know if the fee includes use of any hammocks on the property? Thaks in advance! :D

As most everywhere, the beaches on Grand Cayman are open to everyone. It's when you want amenities like beach chairs, etc. that you need to pay.

Hyatt does not have hammocks, just beach chaises and umbrellas. There are several water toys available to rent in the same area as it is also the location for Red Sails Diving operation.

So when coming to the Hyatt, do you just go up to the main desk and ask for a day pass or just head around to the beach side and test the security's reaction times? :p I'm willing to shell out the $$$ to get away from the crowd and enjoy a great stretch of beach. Also, my DW wants to know if the fee includes use of any hammocks on the property? Thaks in advance! :D

Hey Ralph, that's great that yer willing to test the Hyatt's security, who cares if a couple gorillas throw ya in the surf, it was hot anyway huh? And if that gal "Sweety" above got away with it, one of us guys should be able to pull it off :-)) The only disadvantage to going through the lobby to the pool and ordering drinks w/o the pass is that you wouldn't have the $15 voucher to apply to the drink bill. But I'll bet yer having more than 1 round, so if they want the day fee you could pay it and apply the voucher to the next round.

When do you go?

-Bob

I'll be ther MArch 14th. So I assume you ask at the bar in the back then? I see nothing on their website of course. :confused: Probably not too many drinks GC is going to be our beach and relation port. We'll save most of the debauchery for Cozumel and Key West. LOL!

Hey Ralph, small world, that's the same day we're there on the CCL Miracle! And we're in Coz with you the next day, then the ships part ways. Four of us were planning to hit the resort around lunch time and stay a couple hours, the ship departs a bit early, 4pm, probably should leave around 2:30. We were hoping Joe at CAG would have the new deal done by then, and we could show a printed copy of his message to the Hyatt staff. Even better would be an email reply from the Hyatt person, could try for that. So if the gorilla bouncers try and throw us in the surf we back each other up, right?

-Bob

Right. We'll be there with a cool drink and a beach chair.

ralph-sahs2.jpg

bears016.jpg

Just look for a pair that matches that description and you will have found us. I think we'll be doing a little shopping before heading that way so we likely won't be in until 10 but well probably be leaving aroun 1:30-ish so as not to miss the boat. Worst case scenario, is to spend the $70 and still get a decent deal out of it.

Ok Ralph, thx for the shots, if we see ya there we'll say hi. It looks like you'll beat us there, in the morning Wendy wants to shop too, she has a bunch of fabric stores to hit, and we also want to snorkel a shallow wreck just off the beach at The Wharf restaurant. I don't know how long all this will take, but I'm figuring we'd be lucky to get to the Hyatt by 12 or 1. If pushed for time we might just have lunch at the Wharf, it's been recommended, but no pool there, just a beach. And we're bugged by the $35 Hyatt fee, we've been spoiled getting into so many resorts for free, and $70 is a lot of beer and rum, makes the free Comfort Suites look good, but the beach is across the road, not as handy. So we're hoping CAG gets a new free deal at the Hyatt.

One cool thing about the Hyatt, it's next to the Colony which has cheap $4 shuttles to the ship. But it's crowded, that's where the ship tours go.

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, are you back? ... did you hit the Hyatt? ... how was it?

Hey Ralph, Wendy saw the Hyatt web site (http://grandcayman.hyatt.com) and the place looks very cool, and on the beach rather than back a ways like the Comfort Suites, nice views, so even if they have the fee I think we're going there as long as our shipmates agree. Still plan to get there around lunch, the lunch grill sounds good.

-Bob

Archived