Cayman Canopy Tour

jimmyatc

I have some questions about the Jungle Canopy Tour in Grand Cayman. The minimum age for this is 12. I have an 11 yr old son (will be 12 three months after the cruise) who would love to do this. How firm are they on the age minimum? If they are firm, are there any non-RCI excursion companies that do this tour with a lower age limit? Finally, how strenuous is this activity for a 50 yr old out-of-shape guy (I still play sports though :) )? Thank you all in advance

P.S. - I know this could also be posted on the Cayman thread, but i have found that RCI cruisers are the most friendly and helpful people on the boards.

I think you may have your islands confused - there isn't a jungle on Grand Cayman.

If you are thinking of the canopy tour in Jamaica it is fantastic! I was just on the Enchantment and we took it there and it really was the highlight of the trip. I tried to book it myself but RC has it wrapped up but when you see how much is involved you realized why it has to be a group tour. I spoke with one of the guides and they told me you have to either book it by cruise line or a resort.

Also think you are confusing the Caymans with Ocho Rios. Just did that canopy tour in early Jan and it was a "trip". You see parts of Jamaica that you will probably not see any other way. As far as how exerting both spouse and I are in our mid 60's. A piece of cake but very much worthwhile. Hope that allays some of your apprehension. Don't know how much fudging on age is allowed but I would say the only place where it might come into play is height.

I have some questions about the Jungle Canopy Tour in Grand Cayman. The minimum age for this is 12. I have an 11 yr old son (will be 12 three months after the cruise) who would love to do this. How firm are they on the age minimum? If they are firm, are there any non-RCI excursion companies that do this tour with a lower age limit? Finally, how strenuous is this activity for a 50 yr old out-of-shape guy (I still play sports though :) )? Thank you all in advance

First of all, I see that people have already pointed out that this is a Jamaica excusion. Good to see that RC lowered the age - back last fall, the minimum age was listed as 18, not 12!!!

I do know that the only way you can do this tour is through the cruiseline. They do not book directly to the public on days that ships are in port. A 50 yo out of shape guy who still plays sports should be fine. My 43 yo out-of-shape (sorry dear!!) husband did just fine and loved it.

The Original Canopy Tour is in Ocho Rios. I'm not sure if your 11-year-old could go or not, I didn't see any young children in our group of 34 a couple weeks ago.

DH and I are both 48 and at the lower end of the "in shape" spectrum :)

and we both did fine. I'm very short (barely 5') and some of the steps (they are all going down, none going up) were a big step for me but not that bad. After you get off the bus and get "suited up" and your instructions, it was about a 20-minute or so walk to the first platform, but all level/downhill.

The zip-lining was AWESOME!! I had been nervous about it as doing some-

thing like that is "way out of my comfort zone" but I LOVED it and would do it again if I had the chance!!

After the zip-lining was over, it was another 20-minute or so walk out but the view was gorgeous with lots of beautiful trees, bushes, plants and flowers and you stop at a small area with picnic tables (and peacocks) for punch, rum punch and water before boarding the bus to take you back.

If you take the tour, I hope you have fun!! We sure did!!

Thank you all for the information....and i apologize...i did mean in Ocho Rios (I think I'm getting too excited about my first cruise :) !! I will email RCL and see if i can get an answer about the age.

We did it when my son just turned 12 and he looks VERY young, could pass for 10 and no one said anything to him. He is very short and that was not a problem at all. The only problem he had on the very long line he couldn't make it all the way to the other side but they teach you how to get yourself over if you stop before the platform. There were 2 other ladies that this happened to also so it could happen to anyone. It was the best excursion our family has ever taken and all of us would do it again in a second.

How scary/safe is this? I think I may get bamboozled into this and am very nervous!:eek:

I was scared to death to go on this tour.. I was going to chicken out but I am glad I didnt. It was amazing as all others have reported. You will be fine. It is scary when you first start, but by second or third line you are not scared anymore and it is a blast. It is very safe. I never felt uneasy or unsafe.

Do the tour, you wont regret it, still one of my favorite excusions to date.

How scary/safe is this? I think I may get bamboozled into this and am very nervous!:eek:

We asked the guides about how often the lines are checked and we were told that basically, they are checked daily. The guides actually zip on the line prior to the pax (so they can help you at the other end)-they're very into the safety of the pax.

This was one of THE BEST excursions my DH & I have ever taken!:)

Archived