Buying Coffee??????

Jdleong

We just came back off the Carnival Liberty and did buy britt coffee at a local grocery store for $5.00 a bag, then at Panama we found very good coffee, can't remember the name but right in the liqour store at the terminal just before you get on the ship they sell coffee grown in Panama for $2.85 a bag, I'm talking coffee beans, not ground coffee.

Its great coffee too! I wish I bought more, makes a great gift!

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

When you get off the ship at Limon walk off the pier toward the building and you will find a little open air market place. We bought 1820 brand coffee for $5 a bag, 2.5lbs. We were also able to buy coffee at a local store away from the pier and it was $3 for a 2.5lb bag, don't remember the brand name though. Both could be purchased ground or beans. Both good and a medium roast, not 'starbucks' dark roast.

Funcruiser

• 2 weeks later...

The best by far is 1820. Not Oro, which is inferior I would say as I am sitting here drinking it now for the first time. There is no comparison to the 1820. It is very inexpensive at the small grocery store in Port Limon. Have a cup for me!

I have read many post about Britt Coffee, but I was wondering where to buy it in Limon? Also does anyone know if Carnival sells the 20 pack on the Legend?? any info is great as I am a coffee freak...

Thanks, Jan

We were on the Legend this past January and they do offer a 20 pack of Britt Coffee - I can't remember the price. The actual coffee isn't there - you complete an order form and it is shipped to your home.

Also right near the pier are many vendors some of which were selling Britt - seems the going price for it there was between $8 -10 per pound. I am sure it is cheaper in a grocery store. Also the coffee we got in Panama was excellent - I liked it better than what we bought in Costa Rica.

This is the best by far...I sampled Britt and others at the port..Britt is good but this is better. Check out their website, it is fair trade coffee and part of your purchase goes for charities. It is completely organic in every way. I now have it shipped quarterly fresh roasted and ground, but you can get it in bean form...http://www.godowntoearth.com....Matias is the boss and tell him I sent you!! I have been getting it regularly delivered for the past 3 years. Postage is expensive but total cost is still less than starbucks and it is sold by the pound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Folks,

Just came back after a 19 day reposition trans canal voyage on the Coral Princess.

Charlie Soto took us to a local grocery store just south of the port in Puntarenas where we emptied the shelves of coffee. I had previously heard of the three main coffees in Puntarenas (Cafe Britt, Cafe de Oro and 1820), so bought some of the latter two. Price wise there's only a few pennies between them all.

IMHO, the most robust of the three by far is 1820 and for those who prefer a stronger coffee with no bitter aftertaste like Arabica beans, 1820 is your choice.

On the ship (Princess Cruise Lines) it has been previously posted that you can pre-order and get 20 packs of Cafe Britt for USD$119...but you are not getting full pound bags...only 12 ounces or three-quarters of a pound. That means you are getting 15 lbs of coffee for USD$119 or nearly USD$8 per pound including shipping.

At some of the resort stops we saw the same coffee for USD$7/lb. At the local supermarket stores in Puntarenas, I bought 3 lbs of 1820 and 2 lbs of Cafe de Oro for USD$18 or close to CAD$20...a darn site cheaper than the exorbitant price the ship is charging (Mike and Emma from Coral, I hope you're reading this).

You might argue that the cost of shipping is included, but remember, coffee doesn't weigh a lot, is pliable in bags and can easily be packed in your suitcases to take home, so why have it shipped?

1820 is tops in my books, so...

Ciao for now!!!

Archived