Anything Montréal, II - Tout ce que Montréal, II, or À propos de Montréal

Host Bonjour

Bonjour, Hello:

As we do on other message boards, when popular topics reach an exceptionally high page count, we close the original and open up a new edition. The original, or previous chapter, (see Wonderful Copenhagen, which has an annual edition) remains visible on the boards, and is only closed to new posts.

To continue any open conversations, instead of using the usual reply button, it will be necessary to cut and paste from the previous topic (which I will embed in this post) into your reply in this topic. I get that this is a bit of a drag but hopefully before long, conversations will be off and running here in the new edition, and any inconveniences will be soon forgotten. 

Why the second edition? We were up to 27 pages in the previous version, and as with other multi-page topics, they can be time-consuming to read and search for information, and, as was the case here, outdated, as it was started back in 2013!

Keeping a lower page count also helps keep the topic free of spam (this can be a good place for it to be hidden) but please remember that if you ever see anything that appears to violate our guidelines, you can always click on Report-A-Post function within any post in a topic. This will immediately notify staff and the post will be looked at and removed if necessary. 

Thank you, merci bien to everyone past/present who has contributed to the topic and helped make it such a wonderful asset to the Canada/New England port message board. Two of my great grandparents came to the U.S. from Montréal, and I have not yet visited this part of Canada 😳 so I'll certainly be one who is keeping a particularly close eye (pictures!!!) on the new topic, and not solely because I'm a CC host. (I had a choice of boards to cover 😉 ) 

And yes, I struggled with the French title, I know there are many options to say Anything Montréal, but I had to settle on something. Go easy on me, svp. 

Edited by Host Bonjour

Thank you Patrick, for your past contributions and for your enthusiasm to continue to help continue the success of this topic going forward. There's nothing like information from someone who knows and loves the place where they live, right? It helps visitors put together an itinerary for a visit that suits them just right and that's unique, more personalized than what's in the usual guides everyone else reads. 

We appreciate you. 🙂 Merci beaucoup. 

• 1 month later...

Anything traffic-related in Montreal you can ask me.

I spend hours every single day in the eternal construction gridlock Hell that is my fair city.

One piece of GREAT advice:

DO NOT rely on Google Maps or Waze to get around by yourself. Transport Quebec and the City tend to close roads on whatever whimsical notion strikes them that day, and don't bother with detour signs. The Apps are very slow to pick up on short-term road closures. Case in point: This summer, I spent more than an hour, trapped and literally just going around the block in Old Montreal due to an unforseen road closure, and I live here!

You are much better served by taking a Taxi. They know the roads best. (And most Uber drivers use the Apps...)

I live about 10 miles to the Northwest of the city proper, and avoid downtown for shopping/eating/events because of the traffic hassle, so I can't be much help with trendy restaurants, besides the obvious landmarks. There are a couple of food courts (yes, food courts) that have just opened on Saint Catherine Street that feature our varied international high-end cuisine, so you might want to start there to sample. Will report in more detail once I visit these myself.

Le Centrale International Food Court 

30 Saint-Catherine St W, Montreal, Quebec H2X 0C8

Time Out Market Gastronomic Food Court (Eaton Centre)
705 Saint-Catherine St W, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4G5

Edited by Cruise Cynic

On 10/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, laverendrye said:

Host Bonjour, you mentioned that you struggled with the French title and I would agree that it does not read well.  My gentle suggestion is to change it to “À propos de Montréal”. 

I appreciate the gentle 😉 I made the adjustment. Merci bien. 

15 hours ago, Cruise Cynic said:

locally scandalous,

I have moved police parking barriers when I determined I could legally park in the city (they were taking up space and serving no obvious barrier function!) and so I'm not averse to very minor local scandals. 

(No parking ticket, no troubles 😉 )

15 hours ago, Cruise Cynic said:

Bonjour-Hi!"

Changed it! I probably only used English first since I learned it first but I came to love French soon enough. However since Canada is dual language and our next door neighbor, I goofed and made a mistake here that I'd hopefully avoid to the native French speakers of Canada by not using French first. Je suis très desolée. I am sorry! And I am glad you pointed it out. Thank you so much!! 🙂 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do hope everyone will eventually use this new thread.

The original Anything Montréal thread, which began in 2013, remains open and accessible for everyone to use as a helpful resource for obtaining helpful and interesting information when planning their visits to the wonderful city of Montréal.

On many of our boards, Northeastern Europe, Spain, and Italy ,we have certain topics that receive a high volume of inquiry and responses, for example: Wonderful Copenhagen, Palma de Mallorca DIY - New, and Rome in Limo, and each represent popular topics that are in second, third or, even later editions.

Each of those topics had reached about 20+ pages of posts, with approximately 20 posts (that's about 400 posts!) of varying lengths. Some topics might have started years ago; our Wonderful Copenhagen topic has started anew each year for the past few years, and is now up to 21 pages for 2019! It makes sense to keep information up to date for members because things change year to year. I keep old guides on hand for nostalgia and as a jumping off point as to historic places or sights, but I know there are strict limits as to what I can rely upon in older guides. I also like to do efficient searches.

We have so many great topics from so many wonderful members and contributors and I don't want anyone's contribution to be overlooked as it might possibly happen if it gets buried deep into any multi-page voluminous topic. The boards work best when information is accessible, up to date, and above all, visible! We want as many eyes to see as many wonderful of these posts as possible.

Here again is a link to the original, wonderful 673 post Anything Montréal topic. It is closed to new posts but it is most certainly open to read and review to anyone. We look forward to the continued interest and participation in this next generation of Anything Montréal or À propos de Montréal. Winter may be approaching but passionate cruisers are way into planning for next season and we know there is nothing like first hand information for the best, and most successful voyages. 

The French Canadian in me is grateful to everyone in advance for joining this topic to post about everything/anything wonderful, fantastic, distinctive about Montréal. The Cruise Critic/long time Independent Traveler host part of me enthusiastically appreciates, celebrates, and thanks every member for their contributions to this and every other board here at Cruise Critic. Our community is unparalleled because of you. 

Merci beaucoup, Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 12:21 PM, mrp4352 said:

As I get closer for time to start planning for my cruise next fall, I know I'll be here a lot! Thank you all (in advance) for your help!!

Awesome! Now is not really the busiest time for this board (everyone is out cruising somewhere warm!) but it will be soon as we get deep into winter in some places, and the appeal (& general fun of planning) of seasonal travel plans picks up again. The build-up has always been part of the fun for any previous journey, as is reminiscing and sharing about past experiences in places we have visited.

Thanks for posting! 🙂 

I'll thank you for your help even before I  ask questions so THANK YOU  for any help anyone can give. We will be arriving in Montreal by Amtrak then going to Quebec by bus.    We need to stay one night in Montreal before the bus ride and I guess it would be best to stay near the Amtrak station. I have the Amtrak address   but it really doesn't mean anything to me. Can you suggestion a motel convenient  to our needs??  

• Like 1

Firstly, it's not an Amtrak station - so ignore any info on the Amtrak website (well, the address should be correct, but everything else re: contact phone, operating hours, luggage storage etc. etc. etc. is run by VIA Rail, the Canadian national carrier, who actually own and operate the station!)

Second - if convenient location is primary, you cannot beat the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth - it's literally above the station. Take the escalator and you arrive in the hotel lobby! Not cheap however - your mention of a Motel rather than Hotel implies to me that you're after a cheap bed for the night rather than a fancy-schmancy place. Note that unlike a lot of US cities, Canada tends to have railway and bus stations in perfectly-pleasant parts of downtown which is certainly the case for both Montreal's 'Gare Centrale' (train) and 'Gare d'Autocar' (bus) stations. In other words, you simply won't find a cheap motel close by, you'd have to head out to the 'burbs where such things tend to be.

Personally I'd say your best nearby bargain might be the Springhill Suites - this was always our go-to hotel in Montreal unless a conference was picking up the tab! They no longer include free parking, but that won't impact you as you're coming in by train. Decent included brekkie, great base to walk around Old Town Montreal, and it's almost equidistant between the train station on arrival and bus station on departure (potentially even walkable if you're in reasonable shape and can handle your bags, about a mile from each). Map here with all three.

• Like 1

Excellent advice from martincath. The only thing I might add is that you might consider the train from Montréal to Québec. It’s a pleasant trip and as the train leaves from Central Station (Gare Centrale), it would be very convenient if you stay nearby after arriving on Amtrak. There are 5 or 6 trains a day. Check details at www.viarail.ca. 

• Like 1

Now I have found the ideal thread.

Thank you for starting it. Just booked Empress of the Seas 15th October 2021 from Montreal to San Juan.

I'm following and will ask a few things nearer the time.

Thanks again from Scotland

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

So happy to find this forum.  We end our HAL cruise in Montreal on Saturday, June 6 and want to spend the day sightseeing before flying home on Sunday. I have a reservation at Springhill Suites and it looks to be close to all the main sights which I have started to research.  My DH is not able to walk long distances or for extended periods of time so I thought a self guided walking tour would be best for us--concentrating on Old Montreal and the must sees in that vicinity.   We do want to see the Royal Mount Park area and Saint Joseph's Oratory but are not sure the best way to get there--small group tour bus?  HOHO?  Suggestions?  Also, we would like to see the inside of City Hall but saw it is closed on Saturdays.  Is the building open but no tours or is it locked up? Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, cknic said:

So happy to find this forum.  We end our HAL cruise in Montreal on Saturday, June 6 and want to spend the day sightseeing before flying home on Sunday. I have a reservation at Springhill Suites and it looks to be close to all the main sights which I have started to research.  My DH is not able to walk long distances or for extended periods of time so I thought a self guided walking tour would be best for us--concentrating on Old Montreal and the must sees in that vicinity.   We do want to see the Royal Mount Park area and Saint Joseph's Oratory but are not sure the best way to get there--small group tour bus?  HOHO?  Suggestions?  Also, we would like to see the inside of City Hall but saw it is closed on Saturdays.  Is the building open but no tours or is it locked up? Thanks.

I'd guess City Hall is not open at all - Canadian politicians, even municipal, in general are strictly Monday-Friday. Sorry, the one and only tour we ever took around Montreal was over 20 years ago so I can't imagine that being very relevant. We're both walkers, so we just schlepped up Mont Royal (which may have a fancy name, but is very much a rather modest hill rather than a mountain - not that Vancouver is any pickier about calling things mountains inside the city, ours are even smaller...)

Given it's a fairly extensive bit of parkland on top, and some things perhaps worth visiting up-close are on the opposite end of the hill from the Oratory (the big cross, the Cartier monument, some of the scenic lookouts), if you can find a tour that specifically stops at least a couple of places within the park that should work for you - but transit buses actually run through it if you want to stick to a self-guided tour, and there are several stops within the park. Link to the English version of the STM website here (specifically the 'mobility aids' page in case that's relevant - there's a link on there to the bus schedules, 11 is the one that runs through the park and I think the 55 connects with it if you wanted to take transit all the way to and from Springhill). Using Uber/Taxis would definitely the way to see these places with minimum possible walking though.

21 hours ago, senoragilbert said:

We are in the same “boat” as @cknic, only on July 4. An opaque site has an unbelievable price in the Intercontinental, the Springhill would be $50 more. Any reason not to take the deal? Thanks!

We've stayed in the InterConty - it's definitely swankier than Springhill!!! The latter is more convenient for Ye Olde bits of town and port, but I'm surprised it would ever be pricier than the former! I'd go with the fancier and cheaper one myself - put the savings toward a meal in Toque! which is very close by.

• Thanks 2

I just booked HAL's Zaandam 4/21 sailing from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal with several stops (Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Quebec City) before disembarking in Montreal on 5/2.  Whew!! 

No idea what I'm going to do in any of the ports (I'm guessing it could still be quite cold in late April?) but really would like to stay in Montreal for the day.

Quick check of prices at Springhill Suites & InterContinental shows Springhill about $50 less.

I'm even considering taking the train to Toronto on Sunday and catching a baseball game.  Then train again to Cleveland (my home town) to catch more baseball and spend a couple of days visiting old friends.

But I'm supposed to be in St Louis by 5/9.  Maybe fly there from CLE.  Who knows!  I'm not sure I have the energy for all this.  I'll need a vacation after it all! 😁

Too much planning!!!  I'm going to have to retire so I can spend all my waking hours trying to figure this all out!!!  But then I won't be able to afford all this travel!

• Like 2

I have a question, we are going on the Empress of the Seas leaving and returning to Montreal but at different piers.  If I do the parking at the pier does the port have a shuttle bus to get you from the T1 pier to the parking area, they appear to be far apart on google maps.  Leaving from T3 back to T1.  (October 5)

I am thinking of booking the Hotel Nelligan or the Le Saint Sulpice Hotel.  We like to stay in small boutique style hotels and these both look nice on line.  Anyone have any input on these hotels or a suggestion of another small boutique style hotel in the Old Port area?  We are only staying 2 nights and it is an anniversary trip so i don't mind spending a bit more.  Planning on enjoying the scenery, dining and night life.   We have been to Canada many times and love returning.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked rates for Saturday, 5/2, 1 night, 1 adult - Springhill Suites and Intercontinental are both right around 350 CAD.  I could save a about US$50 with a non-refundable, pre-paid rate at the IC.  Not sure I really want to pay that much for either, since I have a major trip a week after this one.  Too bad.  Really wanted to do some exploring (although I suspect I'll be excursioned-out by then.

But will see if I can get a late flight home so I can do some wandering around for a few hours at least!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, Labmom3 said:

I am thinking of booking the Hotel Nelligan or the Le Saint Sulpice Hotel.  We like to stay in small boutique style hotels and these both look nice on line.  Anyone have any input on these hotels or a suggestion of another small boutique style hotel in the Old Port area?

I have worked in both hotels many times and they are both quite nice, and located close to the Old Port and attractions. I don't think you will go wrong with either hotel.The Hotel William Gray is another recent addition, and is also very nice, boutique-style but European-Modern like the W. There is also a trendy resto-nightclub in the hotel called Maggie Oakes.

Edited by Cruise Cynic