How does MSC compare to P&O?

sidekick180

Hi Everyone,

We have so far only been on two cruises, but we have another booked for July next year. Our first was on P&O Ventura, second was May this year on Azura and the next one is back on Ventura July 2020. I am considering the possibility of booking another with MSC, but I wondered if anyone could give me some honest feedback comparing the two cruise lines MSC and P&O.

Also, if booking with MSC, can you book direct with them, which is what I do with P&O. Or should I go through a travel agent?

Any help would be much appreciated.

you can book direct  with MSC or with a TA, Ive cruised with MSC  and love the differences from  other cruise lines (not everyone does)  Ive yet to cruise with P&O we are not booked until July 2020 but I can tell you  without having been yet that MSC will be very different. P&O from what I Know is more of a "British" experience where as MSC is like being on a wonderful foreign holiday .What I will say is if you really like what P&O offer  and how they offer it you may not like MSC . 

First things first, if you decide to book MSC ensure you do a Status Match to get their 5% discount - https://www.msccruises.co.uk/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

We have cruised Britannia in the Caribbean, not a pleasant experience. Hate their ‘happy camper’ approach to cruising with an emphasis on Britain rules the waves, which is ridiculous.  MSC approach is very different, they offer the customer a wide variety of choices from a basic deal (very cheap and cheerful) to their yacht club experience (ship within a ship concept).Their basic deal compares to what you get on PO saver fares but if your budget will stretch to the Yacht Club you will be in a different world. The problem with doing MSC yacht club is it will establish the norm for your future cruising, it is unbelievably good.  Depends what you want, Caribbean is always my choice as the Med is not for us........it’s all ruins and culture, we prefer sun and sea.

Now compare say Britannia or Azura to MSC Splendida on a 14 day Caribbean cruise. Both include flights from Gatwick to Barbados but MSC has no sea days, you have a Caribbean Island every day so you avoid the crowded decks which you will be familiar. Food is comparable, MSC probably slightly better than PO.  Both are extremely crowded except for the yacht club, that’s what the increased budget provides. Maybe a short MSC cruise will help before you raise the stakes.

July 5th Arcadia,

We will be able to do some good comparisons with P&O and MSC after October 2020 we have MSC booked then and  as both the P&O and MSC itinerary are very similar Northern Europe cruise.,  MSC has 1 further port than P&O and has cost over £200 less than P&O (same cabin type) so what I can say is MSC are great value .

2 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

...........if booking with MSC, can you book direct with them, which is what I do with P&O. Or should I go through a travel agent?

Booking PO cruises thro a travel agency seldom gives you more than £100 discount and you are limited to the U.K. market.  Whilst booking MSC cruises you are able to choose either direct with MSCcruises, U.K. travel agent,  USA travel agent or EU travel agent, each offer different Terms & Conditions.  Depending on price we book either U.K. or the US - our U.K. travel agent discounts MSC prices by 11% that’s on top of their 5% Voyager discount mentioned by mickey above.

The advantages of booking via the US is that deposits are refundable whilst not so in the U.K. also US travel agents offer additional perks like obc.  

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Booking from the UK with a US agent would likely mean you are not covered by ATOL and ABTA.

The savings I've made over (at least) the past 10 cruises by booking outwith the security of ATOL/ABTA means I am happy to front the bill for any unexpected issue that may arise on my next cruise, assuming travel insurance won't cover the problem. £200 saving per cruise x10 means a hefty saving, and that's just for illustrative purposes (number of cruises and savings amount per cruise is much higher) - it's a risk I'm happy to run with. (I know all about Thomas Cook etc. etc. )

Appreciate not everyone has this appetite for risk (and not everyone has travel insurance?!??!). Also appreciate insurance doesn't cover all circumstances. I'm still happy with the risk/compromise.

I'll caveat this by saying I'd be a lot more cautious about booking a multiple stop, £10K type holiday to the Far East without any form of protection. But for your bog standard £2-3k cruise in Europe - with plenty of 'escape' options in the form of lo-co flights, I cringe when I hear what people pay for their cruise 'packages' that they try and justify to me on the basis of security. The biggest difference, on a like for like basis, I have heard was £1400 (in fact, my way was on a better basis as the flights were direct!), and that's just for a single cruise.

Final caveat is that US T/As don't always offer the better deals. Shop around and you can still have the protection granted by ABTA/ATOL for the same or better price. YMMV!

Get good travel insurance that covers medical expenses, cancellation and End Supplier Failure then forget ABTA/ATOL.  I have recently cancelled 2 MSC cruises and received full refund of my deposits thankfully both booked in the US and avoided the loss of over £500. 

• Like 1

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has posted insights and tips to answer my original post. It certainly has opened my eyes a bit wider. In June this year I was debating whether to book P&O or MSc on Preziosa. I did actually decide on P&O Ventura in the end and this cruise is for July 2020. Long time to wait but hey ho!

My main reason for my decision in the end, was because of all the negative posts I had been reading about the Preziosa. I have since learnt that making a decision based purely on negative comments is not the way to go. There are far too many people that find it really easy to find all the negatives and those people rarely give any positive feedback.

Whenever I write any reviews, I always try to give honest and factual information because I believe that this gives people a more balanced view looking at it through my eyes.

The most negatives for the Preziosa was reagrding the food. Many were saying that it was often co,d and that there was not much choice. The best way to look at that is to remember that I don't have to go and buy the food, cook it and then do the washing up. Plus the fact that on a cruise, you would never go hungry, so it can't really be that bad.

I will definitely consider MSC for any future cruises. Thank you everyone!

58 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Plus the fact that on a cruise, you would never go hungry, so it can't really be that bad.

If so you should stick to MSCs best ships: Preziosa, Meraviglia, Bellisima, Grandiosa, Virtuosa (I have not been on Seaside Class, will go this week).

For MSC "beginners" I would highly recommend the Preziosa, it is their "old" master piece before the Meraviglia came. 

2 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has posted insights and tips to answer my original post. It certainly has opened my eyes a bit wider. In June this year I was debating whether to book P&O or MSc on Preziosa. I did actually decide on P&O Ventura in the end and this cruise is for July 2020. Long time to wait but hey ho!

My main reason for my decision in the end, was because of all the negative posts I had been reading about the Preziosa. I have since learnt that making a decision based purely on negative comments is not the way to go. There are far too many people that find it really easy to find all the negatives and those people rarely give any positive feedback.

Whenever I write any reviews, I always try to give honest and factual information because I believe that this gives people a more balanced view looking at it through my eyes.

The most negatives for the Preziosa was reagrding the food. Many were saying that it was often co,d and that there was not much choice. The best way to look at that is to remember that I don't have to go and buy the food, cook it and then do the washing up. Plus the fact that on a cruise, you would never go hungry, so it can't really be that bad.

Well Im on Arcadia in July 2020 and Preziosa in October 2020 virtually the same itinerary (MSC slightly better with 1 extra port)  MSC costing over £200 less than P&O (same cabin class) So it will be very interesting to compare the 2 experiences. So far Ive loved MSC food no complaints in that regard from me. ive recently been reading some very negative reviews of P&O Arcadia, well weve booked now so will take it as we find it and Im sure we will have a great time, Well its better than being at bloody work