Question - Epic Haven and kids..

RSteinman

Hello - I am new to cruising and I recently booked a last minute NYE cruise to the Southern Caribbean with my husband and two sons, ages 12 and 14.  We have side by side Penthouse rooms in the Haven section.  I am a little worried though after reading about the amenities that my children won't be able to be in the Haven pool and hot tub area.  Did I read that right or is there another section of the Haven that is for adults only but another one that allows kids?  I specifically thought this would be a good area for us to get chairs at a pool since I've been reading how crowded these holiday cruises can get.  Also, if there is only one pool section and its 16 and over, is that followed strictly?  My kids can be very respectful and calm when needed and we keep an eye on them.  So, I'm not worried about bad behavior on their part, but I don't want to waste all this money on the Haven area and still have to fight for chairs at the general pool!  Thank you in advance!  

The Haven is NOT adults only.  Your children are welcome to use the pool etc.  Of course there is a lot more to the ship and they might be out and about doing the other activities on board.  There will be a lot of children on this cruise, so they will make friends a lot easier if you sign them up for Splash Academy on the first night.  That way the cliques will be formed and they will tend to gravitate to where their friends are.  

Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, RSteinman said:

Hello - I am new to cruising and I recently booked a last minute NYE cruise to the Southern Caribbean with my husband and two sons, ages 12 and 14.  We have side by side Penthouse rooms in the Haven section.  I am a little worried though after reading about the amenities that my children won't be able to be in the Haven pool and hot tub area.  Did I read that right or is there another section of the Haven that is for adults only but another one that allows kids?  I specifically thought this would be a good area for us to get chairs at a pool since I've been reading how crowded these holiday cruises can get.  Also, if there is only one pool section and its 16 and over, is that followed strictly?  My kids can be very respectful and calm when needed and we keep an eye on them.  So, I'm not worried about bad behavior on their part, but I don't want to waste all this money on the Haven area and still have to fight for chairs at the general pool!  Thank you in advance!  

The kids can use the pool, hot tubs, sauna, steamroom in the Haven courtyard. They can not go into the Posh Club. Neither the courtyard or Posh Club are covered, so you are subject to rain (which if you are in the pool is o.k.). 

Edited by BirdTravels

The courtyard area on the Epic is kid friendly.  It has a smaller pool and two hot tubs and plenty of seating.  Your son will also be welcome in the lobby bar area, the Haven restaurant, the game room area.

The one area that kids are not allowed is the upper sundeck and upper bar area known as POSH Club.   Its a large space, much nicer than any of the other Haven sundecks on any of the other NCL ships.   Its really large, cushy chairs, umbrellas, a really big bar area.  It would compare to NCL's Vibe (on other ships)  only this place is only for Haven guests.   Occasionally they sell access to non Haven guests like a few passes in total but never when I've been there and definitely not during a holiday week.    Its an exclusive place for Haven adults.   Its about 4 times the size of any of the other Haven outdoor deck areas.    Its the space you will want to be for sure.    So get your son interested in the Kids Club the very first night when the other kids are making friends.   

The courtyard area is nice, it will just be really loud, lots and lots of kids , (the noise in that area is contained and will bounce off all the glass/metal surround) and it will be full of families with young kids who will spend all week there.