Shopping for Vanilla in Mazatlan

pivibird

Hello, I asked this in my cruise roll call but I know there are many knowledgeable folks here.  
We’ve planned our excursions and have decided to do our own thing in Mazatlan.  One thing that I would like to do is purchase some vanilla (specifically beans and paste).  Do any of you who have done this itinerary before have any suggestions on where to purchase it?  Any suggestions for things to do/see in Mazatlan also appreciated!

5 hours ago, pivibird said:

Hello, I asked this in my cruise roll call but I know there are many knowledgeable folks here.  
We’ve planned our excursions and have decided to do our own thing in Mazatlan.  One thing that I would like to do is purchase some vanilla (specifically beans and paste).  Do any of you who have done this itinerary before have any suggestions on where to purchase it?  Any suggestions for things to do/see in Mazatlan also appreciated!

Couple things on this:

First, I would be very cautious about buying any vanilla product in Mexico based on this report from the FDA -

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6157423&page=1

As far as what to do in Mazatlan, and has been discussed at length on this board, we highly recommend a DIY visit to Stone Island, very easy to do on your own, is inexpensive; and a great beach day.

Edited by KroozNut

We did a Segway tour that went through Old Town Mazatlan and along the Malecon.  It was a ton of fun and gave us a good overview of the town.  After the Segway tour, you could return to the Old Town market for shopping or take a pulmonia or taxi—about 150 pesos—to the Zona Dorado.  We went to the Playa Mazatlan for beachside drinks (and they also have a lunch buffet).  

Segway Tour:  http://www.baikasmazatlan.com/

• Like 1

Thank you for your help.   I did search this forum and the only suggestion I found for where to purchase vanilla was in Puerta Vallarta.   I was only wondering if anyone had suggestions other than Stone Island.  The Segway tour sounds fun!

Mazatlán:  There are a lot of volunteer Tourist Aides in Mazatlán to assist you.  Snow-birds, American and Canadians.  No $$$, volunteers.  Very nice people.

There is a blue line painted down the middle of the street, for you to follow to downtown.  So you can walk it.  Or you can hire a golf cart/taxi.  The Cathedral and the Central Market are both worth visiting!

Golden Zone is the resort area.  Take a golf cart there.  Shopping, beach resorts, restaurants.

Cliff divers on the Malecon.  Your golf cart driver will stop for you towatch the divers, n the way to or from the Golden Zone.

If I am not going to Stone Island, I will walk to downtown, then grab a golf cart to Golden Zone, and finally take a golf cart back to the ship.

Edited by Mike45LC

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Mazatlán:  There are a lot of volunteer Tourist Aides in Mazatlán to assist you.  Snow-birds, American and Canadians.  No $$$, volunteers.  Very nice people.

There is a blue line painted down the middle of the street, for you to follow to downtown.  So you can walk it.  Or you can hire a golf cart/taxi.  The Cathedral and the Central Market are both worth visiting!

Golden Zone is the resort area.  Take a golf cart there.  Shopping, beach resorts, restaurants.

Cliff divers on the Malecon.  Your golf cart driver will stop for you towatch the divers, n the way to or from the Golden Zone.

If I am not going to Stone Island, I will walk to downtown, then grab a golf cart to Golden Zone, and finally take a golf cart back to the ship.

How far is it to walk from Stone Island to downtown?

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

How far is it to walk from Stone Island to downtown?

The walk from the Stone Island Ferry back to the cruise ship terminal building is less than half a mile.  Then, the walk down the Blue Line to downtown is probably a mile or so.  I've never clocked it, but that seems to be about right.  Because I stop and talk to the Tourist Info people, and look at things along the walk, my estimate is not good!

On 10/22/2019 at 1:29 AM, pivibird said:

We’ve bought this brand over the years and it’s great. Around $10 USD. 

C47AD9A1-BA08-4EB0-836B-AD1CBEFEB25A.jpeg.405888695e4dca5243c7d6e042c0fdf8.jpeg

AD973AA9-93D3-4EBF-B1F5-E1AB97195FE1.jpeg