Must see ports/itinerary for "wow" quintessential Alaska

Autumnz

I am rethinking the 14 day HAL after looking into each port (and others).  I am still open to it, but as I've never been/seen have to really research to compare places wondering if it's hitting the "must see" list.

Not luxury, but NCL does a hubbard and glacier bay cruise and I was thinking of just staying in seward(?) area for 2 nts to have time to explore seward and possibly a day trip to do 26 glaciers at PWS (?)

I was thinking of making sure I see Glacier Bay over hubbard, but would love both!   I think, from research, College Fjord is a great "must see" ( Tracey arm not so much?) as well as lots of great stuff in Seward.   Going in late july not sure how much snow capped mts we'll get, but that's what I'm looking for...light family style walks/hiking in gorgeous nature with lots of wildlife (sealions, whales, moose) and glaciers!

But...are any if these places are just as "wow" from the 14 day cruise...that would be good to know....keitchikan (on our own totem poles and walking tongrass area), Tracey arm cruising, haines/skagway (whitepass), icy point (whale tour), inian islands cruising, Anchorage (glacier excursion), homer (kayak), Valdez (Columbia Meares Glacier), hubbard cruising, Juneau (on own glacier explore), misty fjords cruising.

Thanks!

Princess also does a Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay cruise.

I have not done the 14 night cruise on HAL but I can tell you the reviews about it are all positive. Plus, the normal stops (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan) are pretty touristy! You can get out of the town and see real Alaska but I can tell you that it would be nice to visit some of those ports that don't have jewelry stores on every block.

Seward is great. The boat rides there are fabulous. 26 glacier cruise in Whittier is also good.

I like Tracy Arm on a small boat. Large ships often don't take the time to maneuver around the ice and often skip it.

There are lots of options in Alaska.  Just make sure you save money for excursions as they are expensive. The people who often don't like Alaska are the ones who just get off the boat and walk around the tourist shops.

My Wows!

Hubbard Glacier, particularly when it is in the mood for calving.

Kenai Fjords Cruise from Seward.

Juneau:  a 5 glacier flightseeing tour to Taku Lodge with a delicious Salmon lunch.  A participant was a bear that usually appears to climb onto the outdoor grill to lunch on the leftovers.

Ketchikan:  A flightseeing tour that goes to Misty Fjords National Park, lands on a lake within the park, and the pilot helps his guests to leave the plane and stand on the plane's floats to enjoy the beauty and the silence that can be experienced.

Skagway:  The combination bus/train to/from Carcross, Yukon was scenic and as we ascended and descended in altitude, the difference in the environmental conditions was more unique than I expected.

Anchorage:  Alaska Native Heritage Center.  There is an Alaskan Fisheries complex near downtown (a State governmental facility) that borders a waterway where salmon are trying to get upstream.  It's an informative facility where salmon of different species are bred and their description of what they do and seeing the tanks interested even my 5 year old Grand-Nephew.  I was there in late July, 2019, and the waters in the stream along the facility were teaming with salmon with many trying to jump over the dam to go upstream.  That was a real WOW for me!

Icy Point Strait:  The local citizens provide a cultural show for cruise guests.  It ought not be missed if one visits the port.  The tram tour through their rain forest was well narrated and we traveled along the body of water that borders the trail.  While some saw salmon jumping, I didn't, but it was a very pleasant and scenic tour.  The self-guided tour through the former salmon canning factory was interesting to me since I buy canned Alaskan salmon. 

Have fun planning!  Alaska has so much to offer and it is so difficult to decide what to do on each trip.  Having relatives living near Anchorage, visiting them several times, I have yet more that I would like to experience in our 49th State!

4 hours ago, Cruizer Bill said:

The most “Alaskan” of cities is Sitka!  Be sure to ride with Paul Davis of Gallant Adventures for the best whale watching you will ever have!

Agree with you and Paul is fantastic.  Have booked again for next year!

On 10/27/2019 at 4:31 PM, Autumnz said:

I am rethinking the 14 day HAL after looking into each port (and others).  I am still open to it, but as I've never been/seen have to really research to compare places wondering if it's hitting the "must see" list.

Not luxury, but NCL does a hubbard and glacier bay cruise and I was thinking of just staying in seward(?) area for 2 nts to have time to explore seward and possibly a day trip to do 26 glaciers at PWS (?)

I was thinking of making sure I see Glacier Bay over hubbard, but would love both!   I think, from research, College Fjord is a great "must see" ( Tracey arm not so much?) as well as lots of great stuff in Seward.   Going in late july not sure how much snow capped mts we'll get, but that's what I'm looking for...light family style walks/hiking in gorgeous nature with lots of wildlife (sealions, whales, moose) and glaciers!

But...are any if these places are just as "wow" from the 14 day cruise...that would be good to know....keitchikan (on our own totem poles and walking tongrass area), Tracey arm cruising, haines/skagway (whitepass), icy point (whale tour), inian islands cruising, Anchorage (glacier excursion), homer (kayak), Valdez (Columbia Meares Glacier), hubbard cruising, Juneau (on own glacier explore), misty fjords cruising.

Thanks!

Not sure when you prefer to travel but my next cruise is on the NCL Sun.  It has a great itinerary (my main focus) but doesn't go as far as Seward.  There are 11 and 12 night sailings later in the season too.  You can't go wrong with Princess or HAL in Alaska either!  

05/21 Seattle, Wa
(Depart 04:00 PM)
05/22 day at sea
05/23 Sitka, Ak
(10:00 AM - 08:00 PM)
05/24 Cruise Glacier Bay, Ak
05/25 Icy Strait Point, Ak
(08:00 AM - 08:00 PM)
05/26 Cruise Hubbard Glacier, Ak
05/27 Skagway, Ak
(07:00 AM - 08:00 PM)
05/28 Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier