Refundable and Non Refundable OBC

salty dingo

We just got off Escape today and when I looked the final statement I had an unwelcome surprise. We had both refundable and non refundable OBC in equal amounts. I had been to the Guest Services desk earlier in the cruise to ask, if we have both, which type is used first? I was very clear and repeated back the answer, which was "non refundable is used first." So, I asked, if I use up most, but not all the OBC, I might get a refund? "Yes sir" was the answer from NCL.

I am here to tell you, do not believe that. It is not true.

The refundable deposit was consumed first, and the small amount of OBC I did not use was forfeited. This was not a big issue for me, as the amount was not worth fighting for, but if I had been told the truth, I would have spend it and not lost it.

This could be a big issue with someone with substantial refundable OBC who also gets a Cruise Next OBC which is not refundable. Buyer beware!

certain transactions like your room gratuity (if you did not prepaid it) only use the REFUNDABLE OBC. it does not use the non refundable obc

by default, all transactions from the gift shop, bars, shore excursions, and other normal purchases use up the non refundable obc first then the non refundable obc

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

certain transactions like your room gratuity (if you did not prepaid it) only use the REFUNDABLE OBC. it does not use the non refundable obc

by default, all transactions from the gift shop, bars, shore excursions, and other normal purchases use up the non refundable obc first then the non refundable obc

Our room gratuity was prepaid by the TA. We did no excursions, only used our SDP for dining costs. All we used the OBC for was 1) taxes on drinks consumed in NYC, and 2) extra tips for the staff. Both came out of refundable OBC.

15 minutes ago, salty dingo said:

This could be a big issue with someone with substantial refundable OBC who also gets a Cruise Next OBC which is not refundable. Buyer beware!

I have made several purchases of multiple Cruise Next certificates on board over the past couple of years and have always received a full refund of any credit not spent on board (i.e., refunds of nearly all the credit earned from the purchases).

Oh, ok good. I tried to find out by searching online if the cruise next OBC was refundable or not and it appeared to be use it on the current cruise, or lose it.

I just re-read my statement and it looks like the NYC taxes came out of the non refundable and the extra tips came out of refundable. I also see a "Due to Guest" line item for the balance of the refundable amount, in addition to the unused nonrefundable amount forfeited.