Dress code disparity...

Mark_T

I'm quite surprised that dressy shorts with a nice polo top and closed in shoes are not allowed in the MDR (on non-chic nights) on a Caribbean cruise.  In the summer here my partner always wears nice shorts and shoes to a casual dinner. Oh well, all I can say is the buffet is looking more attractive because we simply can't be bothered with all the dress rules while on holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite dress code distinction is the difference between "jeans" for Smart Casual and "designer jeans" for Evening Chic.

I picture the ship's official label inspector at the dining room entrance on Evening Chic nights, examining the tush of each passenger to compare the label on everyone wearing jeans to the official Celebrity list of "approved" designers.

(I know at least one passenger will try to add "Kirkland" to the list of approved designer labels.)

To save on employee resources, perhaps the tush inspector can also be assigned a ruler and do double duty measuring sleeve lengths as well 

(unless that is a union position, in which case a different individual will be required).

One controversial issue that has not yet been addressed:  If wearing a jacket, should a man be required to remove the jacket to have the length of his shirt sleeves pass inspection?

And for all the legal experts out there, does this constitute gender discrimination?

For those who truly care about their jeans, here is an article from Forbes

How To Shop Spring 2019's Hottest Denim Trends 

How gullible are we ?

Edited by varoo
  • Like 2

It is your vacation, wear what is comfortable, but be respectful of the venue.

We wear what we want during the day and on excursions.

At specialty restaurants I usually wear a dress and my husband a nice pair of slacks with a button down shirt.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:30 AM, varoo said:

My favorite dress code distinction is the difference between "jeans" for Smart Casual and "designer jeans" for Evening Chic.

I picture the ship's official label inspector at the dining room entrance on Evening Chic nights, examining the tush of each passenger to compare the label on everyone wearing jeans to the official Celebrity list of "approved" designers.

(I know at least one passenger will try to add "Kirkland" to the list of approved designer labels.)

To save on employee resources, perhaps the tush inspector can also be assigned a ruler and do double duty measuring sleeve lengths as well 

(unless that is a union position, in which case a different individual will be required).

One controversial issue that has not yet been addressed:  If wearing a jacket, should a man be required to remove the jacket to have the length of his shirt sleeves pass inspection?

And for all the legal experts out there, does this constitute gender discrimination?

For those who truly care about their jeans, here is an article from Forbes

How To Shop Spring 2019's Hottest Denim Trends 

How gullible are we ?

Not gullible, as with many things on this board we overthink things.