Alaska cruisetour with kids?

JSSpence

Apologies for all of my recent posts, I am knee-deep in planning.  We are planning a SB cruise for 2021, and our son will be nearly 10 at the time. We definitely want to do a land-portion prior to the cruise. Are there many kids on the cruise tour options? None of the itineraries I've seen so far are "perfect" so I'm starting to think about the DIY approach for the land. But I also don't want to keep my kid cooped up with just us, if there are typically other kids on the cruise tours that he could hang out with. (Note: I'm going to crosspost this on other boards for the cruise lines and family cruising). Thanks!!!

Post in the Alaska board but in short, DIY would be so much better for you - we've done it twice with children (have a search on my user name, we cruised to Alaska with DIY in Alaska in 2015 and 2019 and I did a detailed trip report for both.

If you have the ability to do it yourself you will be able to save some money and go to the places you want. The train to Denali was nice but some of the other parts of the SB land tour were a little boring and expensive for what you got.

2 hours ago, Fyrmdc said:

If you have the ability to do it yourself you will be able to save some money and go to the places you want. The train to Denali was nice but some of the other parts of the SB land tour were a little boring and expensive for what you got.

Where did you fly into Fairbanks?

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Where did you fly into Fairbanks?

We flew into Fairbanks. We actually flew in a day earlier and stayed at the hotel the land tour uses. It was nice to arrive early in the day and have the time to relax before a busy land tour schedule. We also got to go to the local museum and other attractions that were not covered on the tour. 

Dave

6 hours ago, Fyrmdc said:

We flew into Fairbanks. We actually flew in a day earlier and stayed at the hotel the land tour uses. It was nice to arrive early in the day and have the time to relax before a busy land tour schedule. We also got to go to the local museum and other attractions that were not covered on the tour. 

Dave

We are thinking of flying into Anchorage and doing a DIY tour, but I think as far north we would go would be Denaili Park, not all the way to Fairbanks