Tell me about the Rum Factory tour in San Juan

fireguy091

I have never done the tour myself, but I know that you can do it on your own, and probably save money over the ship's sponsored tour.

If your ship docks at the pier in Old San Juan, there is a ferry there that you can take across the lagoon to Catania (cost was $.50 per person, each way). Once in Catania, there are buses available, and there is one that will go to the Barcardi Factory. I'm not sure of the cost for the bus. On the San Juan port of call board, you might be able to get more information.

I took it in 1970 when in San Juan on spring break with four of my sorority sisters -- samples of rum at 10:30am was every spring breaker's dream :D We've been to SJ several times in the last few years, but never had time to take the tour again. Friends did take it several years ago and thought it was very worthwhile.

We were there last May, and did it on our own. Took the water taxi which docks right near the cruise ship pier in Old San Juan.

It was nice. Interesting museum like exhibit of tools used to make rum, etc. A brief film. An informational session about the different types of rum (missed most of that as DD needed the restroom...)

I remember thinking it didn't take all that long. HTH!

Archived