Cruisenext and cancellation policy

April42749

A few years back I had to cancel a cruise.  I was "returned" the 2 cruisenext deposits I used, no problem.

I want to book a cruise that's a few months out (long term for me!) using 2 certificates.  If I need to cancel it, would I get the certificates returned?

I ask, because I remember a discussion about that no longer being the policy.

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

A few years back I had to cancel a cruise.  I was "returned" the 2 cruisenext deposits I used, no problem.

I want to book a cruise that's a few months out (long term for me!) using 2 certificates.  If I need to cancel it, would I get the certificates returned?

I ask, because I remember a discussion about that no longer being the policy.

A few months...it sounds like you may in cancellation penalty phase upon booking or soon after (depending on length of cruise what you mean by a few months).  Penalties do seem to kick in sooner now than they used to, which may impact somebody who consider a few months to be long term planning. If you are in penalty phase, according to policy, they will deduct that penalty, then return any remainder.  Here is the quote from the terms and conditions of cruise next, “9. To cancel a reservation made with a CND, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CND will be refunded back to the guest Latitudes Rewards account minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation.”

Edited by Starry Eyes

26 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Thanks...

Yes, it's close to final payment.  I'm more concerned about someone having the flu that week, not about changing my mind.

Oh, for illness related concerns, perhaps look at buying travel insurance with cancellation coverage now (flu shots, too😉).  You could buy insurance from NCL, but many people feel better buying it from an independent company.  Personally, I really prioritize travel medical insurance in case of illness or injury while ON the trip; I get higher limits from independent companies.  Thankfully we have never used it.

41 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Thanks...

Yes, it's close to final payment.  I'm more concerned about someone having the flu that week, not about changing my mind.

If your concern is about having the flu the week of the cruise and having to cancel because of it, then you will definitely be within the penalty phase and not receive anything back due to the 100% penalty for cancellations within 14 days or less of the cruise.  Your best bet is to get Cancel For Any Reason insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

If your concern is about having the flu the week of the cruise and having to cancel because of it, then you will definitely be within the penalty phase and not receive anything back due to the 100% penalty for cancellations within 14 days or less of the cruise.  Your best bet is to get Cancel For Any Reason insurance.

Oh...so what you are saying is that if I cancel, let's say 2 days before the cruise....the cruisenext certificates are lost.  Is that correct?

My credit card has cancellation insurance....and this trip would be covered if I needed to cancel.

The last time this happened I booked a cruise 2 weeks out...got the flu the next week....and dh got the flu a day or two after that.  The credit card reimbursed me, less the cruisenext certificates.  NCL put the certificates back in "my bank".

So...now this would no longer happen? (That's the question...)

I always get medical insurance while on the trip.  Last Feb I "got ill" and ran up a $3500 bill....thankfully all reimbursed.

Edited by April42749

On 10/31/2019 at 11:46 AM, April42749 said:

Oh...so what you are saying is that if I cancel, let's say 2 days before the cruise....the cruisenext certificates are lost.  Is that correct?

My credit card has cancellation insurance....and this trip would be covered if I needed to cancel.

The last time this happened I booked a cruise 2 weeks out...got the flu the next week....and dh got the flu a day or two after that.  The credit card reimbursed me, less the cruisenext certificates.  NCL put the certificates back in "my bank".

I always get medical insurance while on the trip.  Last Feb I "got ill" and ran up a $3500 bill....thankfully all reimbursed.

I don't know if you are allowed to endorse an insurance company on the boards (there are many, many posts on the boards pertaining to travel insurance). My significant other and I are in the neighborhood of 50 years old and got coverage superior to NCL coverage for $420 (total), with cancel for any reason. Company name starts with T and ends in X.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:46 AM, April42749 said:

You say you bought your cruise next certificates several years ago, when do they expire???? That is where the answer lies.  If you book a cruise and have to cancel it 2 days before and the certificate is not expired then you will get another certificate.  If it is expired and by the sounds of it, it will be way expired then you should not get another certificate.  Also, insurance will not refund for any money lost for certificates.

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

You say you bought your cruise next certificates several years ago, when do they expire???? That is where the answer lies.  If you book a cruise and have to cancel it 2 days before and the certificate is not expired then you will get another certificate.  If it is expired and by the sounds of it, it will be way expired then you should not get another certificate.  Also, insurance will not refund for any money lost for certificates.

Certificates are a few months old.....a lot of time before expiration.

So, then if I book and if I need to cancel 2 days before....then I should get the value of my certificates as new certificates, correct?

That's all I'm asking.  I'm not asking about "the value of the entire trip".

59 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Certificates are a few months old.....a lot of time before expiration.

So, then if I book and if I need to cancel 2 days before....then I should get the value of my certificates as new certificates, correct?

That's all I'm asking.  I'm not asking about "the value of the entire trip".

No,  not if you cancel 2 days before the cruise because you lose your money, you are within penalty phase.  If it is before the penalty phase then you would get your certificate back.

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

No,  not if you cancel 2 days before the cruise because you lose your money, you are within penalty phase.  If it is before the penalty phase then you would get your certificate back.

That's what I was afraid of.  So, I'll book "the week of" just to be sure.

Thanks for clarifying.  I appreciate it.

FWIW, I had to cancel after final payment because of illness and the travel insurance co (may even have been thru NCL, I forget) refunded me the entire cost of the cruise to my credit card, including the value of the CN.  This was in 2011.

9 hours ago, erdoran said:

FWIW, I had to cancel after final payment because of illness and the travel insurance co (may even have been thru NCL, I forget) refunded me the entire cost of the cruise to my credit card, including the value of the CN.  This was in 2011.

I think that has changed since 2011. I have asked every time I buy insurance and been told no cruise next certificates and gift cards are not covered.  If you look on the insurance forum here on these boards it is even stated that any certificates are not covered by insurance.