tanzanian visa from cruise ship

fluffybear

I am surprised CMV are making you get your own visa's for Tanzania.  We called there for a couple of days on  Fred ship a couple of years ago and the ship organised the visa's and just put the cost on our ship accounts.  Not sure if that was the case for all nationalities though as almost all of us where UK nationals.  We loved Zanzibar - it is very easy to do independently.

Sri Lankan ETA's can be applied for up to 3 months before arrival date, and the full one lasts for a total of six months from application.  If you are only there there as a port of call for less than 48 hours a transit ETA should be adequate and is always free.  If there longer, you will need a full ETA and they are currently free for entries up to 31st January for a number of nationalities (the site says it will cost, but after an application it says the cost is zero).  The cost for entries after that date is to be reviewed in the next month or so - the free ones were brought in after the bombs at Easter as a measure to boost tourism again.

They come through very quickly (a matter of hours, if that) for most people.  We got ours a few days ago for January entry.  There are very big delays for people with Pakistani heritage, for instance, though and I do not think an ETA can be used by them anyway.  This is the official site and application is straight forward (agencies will charge):- http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/

Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Hi Tring   with thanks for the info.....Yes CMV have been most unhelpful with the TANZANIAN e visa application.....CMV are pushing all passengers to apply through Visa Companies at the Visa company cost

We passengers are very able to apply ourselves on line

I have had many attempts with CMV to extract the information I require to complete the e visa form....eventually I have received the information and I now hope when I apply for the Tanzanian e visa all will be correct and our e visa will be granted.

I have success in the Indian e visa (granted)  CMV voluntarily  sent all passengers references for the IndiAN e VISA....WHY CMV COULD NOT DO THIS FOR TANZANIAN VISA IS BEYOND ME....Wish me luck I will be applying at the end of the week

20 hours ago, fluffybear said:

..CMV are pushing all passengers to apply through Visa Companies at the Visa company cost

I wonder why?? 

CMV voluntarily  sent all passengers references for the IndiAN e VISA....WHY CMV COULD NOT DO THIS FOR TANZANIAN VISA IS BEYOND ME....

It does make me wonder if can be applied for by the ship, but you have been told the wrong info.  Sometimes one arm of a cruise company does not know what the other is doing - but looks like you cannot assume that of course. 

Wish me luck I will be applying at the end of the week

Certainly

My husband did our Sri Lankan ETA's and tells me they came through in about 5 minutes.

We fly to Sri Lanka on 20th Jan for a tour/stay holiday, before embarking Boudicca on 6th February to sail up the coast of India to Dubai, were we spend another 4 nights.  DH has done some preliminary stuff for the Indian visa's so they are yet to be done.  We have been there on a land holiday previously, but are happy about the new visa prices which allow us to get a 5 year one for less than the cost of the original single visit one.  That is worth getting, just in case we decide to return.  We will be 75 when they expire, so likely to go back within that time if at all.

We have done a couple of CMV cruises in the past and said never again, but they do have such good itineraries and the prices are low to compensate for quality, so we are trying Magellan round UK and up the Seine next July to see what we think now.  We live within a 20 mins taxi ride of Liverpool, were Magellan departs from, so will be an easy jaunt and the ports look good, so we are looking forward to it.

Happy hols,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Thanks once again for your reply....sounds a good trip of yours

We sailed with FO on the Boudicca about 6 years ago a cruse to the Amazon (fly cruise from Barbados)...We were disappointed in the cruise probably the itinerary also the ship had been previously damaged to the stern (but Sailed)   Lots of passenger violently sea sick due to the damage I believe.(I also was confined to cabin due to sickness)...FO disputed this.....Found the ship needed a total refurb. Dining experience not great....lounges shabby....This was 6 years ago .....I am sure things have changed.We have never sailed FO again.....We have sailed P&O  most ships....We have done longer trips ....2 world cruises.....Our last world cruise 2019 was on the Arcadia.....We enjoyed....found now P&O being American owned  have gone or is going the American way....getting far more expensive ...in the bars etc etc....(charging £40 per day per passenger for drinks package).This next year is going to be our last long cruise....My husband has turned 80 and mobility is not good.....I am 72 on sailing in perfect health....although hate flying  (seen most of the world now) nowhere like England.

We are trying CMV for the first time.....For the Itinerary  and drinks package far less money...we will either love or hate.....we all have different views....much easier to sail from Liverpool....Good luck...enjoy....Best wishes

5 hours ago, fluffybear said:

Thanks once again for your reply....sounds a good trip of yours

We sailed with FO on the Boudicca about 6 years ago a cruse to the Amazon (fly cruise from Barbados)...We were disappointed in the cruise probably the itinerary also the ship had been previously damaged to the stern (but Sailed)   Lots of passenger violently sea sick due to the damage I believe.(I also was confined to cabin due to sickness)...FO disputed this.....Found the ship needed a total refurb. Dining experience not great....lounges shabby....This was 6 years ago .....I am sure things have changed.We have never sailed FO again.....We have sailed P&O  most ships....We have done longer trips ....2 world cruises.....Our last world cruise 2019 was on the Arcadia.....We enjoyed....found now P&O being American owned  have gone or is going the American way....getting far more expensive ...in the bars etc etc....(charging £40 per day per passenger for drinks package).This next year is going to be our last long cruise....My husband has turned 80 and mobility is not good.....I am 72 on sailing in perfect health....although hate flying  (seen most of the world now) nowhere like England.

We are trying CMV for the first time.....For the Itinerary  and drinks package far less money...we will either love or hate.....we all have different views....much easier to sail from Liverpool....Good luck...enjoy....Best wishes

If seas were bad you would have had a very bad time on Braemar, (especially if you were not pretty central on the ship), as it is newer than the other Fred ships, so is basically flat bottomed and yet a small ship.  It tends to rise at the back then suddenly crash down - we have been on it when they lost loads of glasses etc. in the Grampian Restaurant (and presumably elsewhere) and someone even fell over backwards in his chair.  Plates sliding on to your lap is not unknown either.  That is standard for Braemar so it is necessary to think carefully about cabin location, the area sailed and at what time of year.  It is a very bright/light ship though.  Fred's other ships are fairly stable and they have all been refurbed to a higher quality spec. in the last few years so they are now more modern and light/bright and their staff and food are always good.  They are still old boats though, like CMV, so you would not want to be towards the back and low down (we tend tot go for miship, but the front part of that).

We sailed on Arcadia for the first time in August and did not like it as it was very dark/dingy - even the cabin was like that and the bathroom very old fashioned.  I think it must be due a refurb, but P&O seem to just let the boats get in bad condition then replace them with bigger ones.  We did not like the pool area being covered most of the cruise either (even though the weather was pretty good).  I think overall we have got used to smaller ships when there is always natural light around.  We have not long come off the Azamara ship that was Adonia - we do like the Renaisance ships, though we did not like Adonia as it had only set dining times/tables.  We have booked Aurora to the Eastern seaboard of Canada/US for Sept 2021 and hope that will seem better with the tiered public areas at the back.  End of the day, we sail for itineraries so will not bother too much about the cruise lines, but we find the staff/food are not what they were with P&O, so does not have the same feel as other cruise lines with small ships.  We are not big drinkers so bar prices not an issue, but P&O are about the cheapest cruise prices now, which does help, especially on a longer cruise.  I envy you a tad, having sailed when ships and cruise quality was better.  We are  likley to go for more land hols in the future.

Happy holidays and especially your African jaunt which sounds great,

Barbara 

• 2 weeks later...

We booked HAL a number of years ago and after I read the reviews I was very concerned thinking that I had booked the wrong cruise line. Then I read some of the reviews again and realized that most b the things they were complaining about didn’t matter to me in the least. Had a fabulous time. If you are a complainer,  you will find something to complain about but if you are there with an open mind and are open to new experiences, you will have a  amazing time. I truly believe we will have a wonderful, wonderful time. 👍👍👍👍

• 2 weeks later...

Applied for and received email saying our ETA’s have been approved for Sri Lanka. Very easy and fast. Thank you Sri Lanka. Also the fee was $00 so that was unexpected as I thought the free ETA’s were only in effect until the end of January. 

Still waiting for Peter’s visa for Tanzania. It’s been three weeks now so fingers crossed.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:07 PM, BlueLadyBlue said:

Applied for and received email saying our ETA’s have been approved for Sri Lanka. Very easy and fast. Thank you Sri Lanka. Also the fee was $00 so that was unexpected as I thought the free ETA’s were only in effect until the end of January. 

Still waiting for Peter’s visa for Tanzania. It’s been three weeks now so fingers crossed.

Yes, the free tourist visas have been stated by their government as applying for entry until 31st January, but they say it will reviewed (sometime this month when I last heard), but it seems payment is still not being taken for entries that are now eligible for visa applications (up to 3 months before arrival).  The Sri Lankan government website is not the best maintained.  For transit visits (that is if you are travelling on to somewhere else within 48 hours) a transit visa is sufficient and they have always been free.