Who loves the Fantasy?

RogBus101

I have been on 20 Carnival cruises...11 on Fantasy class (8 elation, 2 Fantasy and 1 Fascination) and all the others on the Dream. I absolutely love the Fantasy! That's class of ship is so easy to get around on and definitely feels less crowded. 

The only reason I prefer the Dream Is because of the aft pool. It's much quieter and I love sitting on deck 11 looking down at the pool and the ocean! 

There is no way to have a bad cruise in a Fantasy class ship. 

Cheers! 

Brad

9 hours ago, mackenzie80 said:

Funny I find land vacations stressful now.  Prefer not worrying and sipping a cocktail on the Serenity Deck!

In November, between cruises, we spent 10 fantastic beach days at an adult only AI in Punta Cana, no stress involved at all!  And even with airfare,  cheaper than a week long cruise to boot.

Last winter we planned a girls cruise.  My Sister, daughter and myself.  Our cruise was the first cruise after dry dock.  The ship was a day late coming back from the bahama's due to propulsion issues.  We "roughed" it at a hotel on the coast prior to heading to mobile to board lol.  We were even able to watch the ship arrive into mobile bay.  To put it mildly we were so excited for this cruise. My daughter and myself have been on numerous cruises, but it was my sisters first cruise.  We hoped that the fantasy wouldn't be a big disappointment for her.  Unfortunetly it was.....  Fantasy didn't do well in the high winds and waves headed to cozumel.  Upper decks were closed as well as the the hot tubs.  There was a Horrible paint smell coming from the public areas. So much so that it was overwelming.  When we entered our cabin, there were black specks / clumps of something from the AC vents above the bed and on the floor.   To this day I suspect it was something that caused all the respiratory problems that we experienced before we debarked and was responsible for the illness we all experienced after we returned home.  It took "Me" 2 rounds of antibiotics and inhalers to get grid of that crud!! Not to mention a 3 night add on trip to new orleans that we missed.   I am not the only one this happened to.  The FB group we were members of had numerous posts regarding the very same issues with the black specks covering the beds and illness after the fact..  So....  Fantasy is not on my list of ships to ever cruise on again.  I hope none of you ever encounter the problems we had! If you see the black stuff...... Get a room steward immediately!!

Edited by kscruiseaholic

10 hours ago, kscruiseaholic said:

Last winter we planned a girls cruise.  My Sister, daughter and myself.  Our cruise was the first cruise after dry dock.  The ship was a day late coming back from the bahama's due to propulsion issues.  We "roughed" it at a hotel on the coast prior to heading to mobile to board lol.  We were even able to watch the ship arrive into mobile bay.  To put it mildly we were so excited for this cruise. My daughter and myself have been on numerous cruises, but it was my sisters first cruise.  We hoped that the fantasy wouldn't be a big disappointment for her.  Unfortunetly it was.....  Fantasy didn't do well in the high winds and waves headed to cozumel.  Upper decks were closed as well as the the hot tubs.  There was a Horrible paint smell coming from the public areas. So much so that it was overwelming.  When we entered our cabin, there were black specks / clumps of something from the AC vents above the bed and on the floor.   To this day I suspect it was something that caused all the respiratory problems that we experienced before we debarked and was responsible for the illness we all experienced after we returned home.  It took "Me" 2 rounds of antibiotics and inhalers to get grid of that crud!! Not to mention a 3 night add on trip to new orleans that we missed.   I am not the only one this happened to.  The FB group we were members of had numerous posts regarding the very same issues with the black specks covering the beds and illness after the fact..  So....  Fantasy is not on my list of ships to ever cruise on again.  I hope none of you ever encounter the problems we had! If you see the black stuff...... Get a room steward immediately!!

I was on the ship the cruise after yours (3rd after dry dock) and didn't experience any of that.  Hate you all didn't enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it is worth, we just got back and had a wonderful cruise.   We were not expecting much and our expectations were far exceeded.  It was a mix of young families with kids from babies to teens, older people, middle age and I'd guess college age--- this trip seemed to be mostly families of all generations together.  In the dining room saw lots of 10/12 seaters with entire families from grandma to babies. The food was far better in the dining room than our other two cruises.  Both my husband and I thought the food was better.   I thought the entertainment was weak and lacking (talking the shows) but those kids gave it 1000 percent and tried their best, can't fault them there.   We enjoy the shows and found it lacking on this ship to us, but we do not enjoy comedians, etc. so we don't do that.  Someone else probably loves that.  Mobile was easy peasy as far as the port, fastest on and off the ship we've had.  All in all, we would do it again in a heartbeat.  As my husband said, we are not picky---we knew what we'd get (we thought) and  it exceeded our expectations.    From the wait staff to room attendant/room cleanliness, it was great.

• Like 1

My wife and I got married on the Fantasy. Love the ship.

The only thing I don't like about her in relation to the Ecstasy is the small rear lounge.

I thought the Fantasy's time was nearing an end, but it seems like Carnival is still sailing full even as they add more ships. So I think she will live on for several more years. Maybe eventually they'll just add more home ports as long as they sail profitably.

I sailed on the Fantasy back in 1992 as a kid with my family. Was my first cruise and since then i have been hooked. Even worked on Ships for 5 years. I am 40 now and still cruise at least once a year. As i do prefer the larger ships, i was on the Inspiration about 6 years ago and still found it enjoyable. 

35 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I thought the Fantasy's time was nearing an end, but it seems like Carnival is still sailing full even as they add more ships. So I think she will live on for several more years. Maybe eventually they'll just add more home ports as long as they sail profitably.

This past week the ship seemed fully booked.  People all over.   Also, from youtube videos I watched before I left, I could tell they had put new cushions on the Serenity lounge chairs----it was super clean up there and cushions seemed new. They were a funky worn out gray on the videos just at the first of this year that looked stained---these were blue and pristine. Evidently there was someone getting married like you did those years ago--there was an officiant practicing the ceremony alone  (his words) one morning early on the Serenity deck.  All over the ship, people were wiping down something or cleaning.    Railings, buttons, floors, walls, everything.  Maybe the bad inspection a few months ago caused greater concern.  Our room was spotless.  I would certainly do it again if the price was right compared to others.  Am also glad Royal Caribbean is back in New Orleans, both ports are close to us.

Thank you everyone for all the earlier info, it was helpful.

• Like 1