A question about suite preferences

bungle66

I have been very fortunate to have had a suite on my last two cruises and I have two more suites booked going forward in both 2020 and 2021 on Iona. So far I have always booked froward suites on Britannia, suites D101 & D102 respectively and they have been fantastic, giving me what in effect feels like my own private crows nest (fantastic when visiting the Fjords) BUT I have been thinking about it and wondering what the aft suites are like and if folks who have tried both have any preferences and indeed their reasons for their preferences? I worked for a major airline for many years and on an aircraft it was always preferable to turn left on boarding, yet on a ship the most expensive suites seem to be at the back, I am simply wondering why that is? Thank you in advance for any answers or suggestions. Rgds Graham

Not had a Forward Suite yet, we have one booked for next year, but we were lucky enough to have an Aft suite on Azura for our honeymoon and it was lovely. Huge balcony and very quiet. watching the wake as we sailed away was great, especially Venice. Totally unobstructed views.

We always go for aft suites because the balconies are much bigger and they are not restricted when at sea. We find the corner wrap round suites on Britannia are amazing and now they have the new canopies on A abd B deck should be even better. We have also got an aft corner suite booked on Iona for 2021 so hoping it will be similar to Britannia. I have never tried a forward suite so can't really comment on them.

14 hours ago, bungle66 said:

I have been very fortunate to have had a suite on my last two cruises and I have two more suites booked going forward in both 2020 and 2021 on Iona. So far I have always booked froward suites on Britannia, suites D101 & D102 respectively and they have been fantastic, giving me what in effect feels like my own private crows nest (fantastic when visiting the Fjords) BUT I have been thinking about it and wondering what the aft suites are like and if folks who have tried both have any preferences and indeed their reasons for their preferences? I worked for a major airline for many years and on an aircraft it was always preferable to turn left on boarding, yet on a ship the most expensive suites seem to be at the back, I am simply wondering why that is? Thank you in advance for any answers or suggestions. Rgds Graham

We had an aft suite on Britannia for our very first cruise back in July to the Fjords G733 and absolutely loved it. Very spacious, great views from the back and the corner of the ship, and sailing through the Fjords at night and taking it in from our balcony was a joy. To be honest, we found it a perfect suite, suitably private and stunning view size from the rear/side. But I imagine it is personal choices and all that.

Someone we met on the cruise said they always try to book aft suites on ships which they said they tend to prefer to the other suites, but for this cruise (their second time on Britannia but 20th odd cruise) there were no Aft ones left when they booked (a mere flicker of guilt hit me, but it passed quickly!), so they went for a Fwd suite this time. They were very happy with it: I rather liked their suite too and would have been very happy there, too. And we all lamented the underwhelming canapés!

We have 4 more cruises booked on Britannia and Iona so are going for a mix of suite locations.

We haven't been on Britannia so can't comment on suites on there but we always opt for an aft suite or mini suite if possible.  We love being at the back, very little traffic down the corridor and it's great standing on the balcony looking at the wake.  I know some people have complained about soot but we've never experienced that.  The wake can be noisy but again we love that.  The only noise from the engines is when the thrusters are used when docking or leaving port.  We have also had a forward suite but of the two we prefer the back.