Need Help Finding a Local in Old San Juan

llarsen

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if this gentleman is still in Old San Juan? 

We have a really beautiful photo of him (not this one) playing his accordion back in January 2005. 

I would like to frame some prints to give to him or his family if anyone knows him. It's been almost 15 years, so he may not be out playing on the street, but maybe a local knows him or his family? Every time I come across this one particular photo, I think to myself that I would want it, if I were him or his family.

We were in Old San Juan a couple years ago and there was an older man playing in the evening outside a restaurant. It didn't look like the same man though, and I didn't have the photo with me so we didn't approach him. This time I would like to bring them and get them to him or his family if possible.

We will arrive in Old San Juan Friday 11/29 the day after Thanksgiving, and could leave the prints at a business for pick up. 

Hopefully a local knows him or his family?

Thank you!

IMG_2613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No one?

I was hoping a local might be on CC and know or recognize this man from and old photo from 2005 in Old San Juan.

I have a really beautiful photo of him looking at the camera and would like to (hopefully) find him playing on the streets and give it to him.

Does anyone recognize him or know if he is still playing his accordion in Old San Juan?

Thanks!

He looks vaguely familiar and I think he used to play at the concerts at Plaza Darcena (sp?) on a weekend night with other musicians. I haven't had a chance to go there in a few years so not sure if they still perform, but was just in Old San Juan in Oct 2019 and there's a group of mature salsa dancers who come out on Sunday afternoons on Calle Princessa near the artist tents. I'm pretty sure someone in that group will recognize him.

Thank you for your reply.

We will be boarding our cruise ship on Saturday, but we will be staying overnight in Old San Juan on Friday.

I remember in the evenings a lot of local families would come out and there were artists and sellers in the area. I will ask around.

Thank you!

On 11/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, llarsen said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if this gentleman is still in Old San Juan? 

We have a really beautiful photo of him (not this one) playing his accordion back in January 2005. 

I would like to frame some prints to give to him or his family if anyone knows him. It's been almost 15 years, so he may not be out playing on the street, but maybe a local knows him or his family? Every time I come across this one particular photo, I think to myself that I would want it, if I were him or his family.

We were in Old San Juan a couple years ago and there was an older man playing in the evening outside a restaurant. It didn't look like the same man though, and I didn't have the photo with me so we didn't approach him. This time I would like to bring them and get them to him or his family if possible.

We will arrive in Old San Juan Friday 11/29 the day after Thanksgiving, and could leave the prints at a business for pick up. 

Hopefully a local knows him or his family?

Thank you!

IMG_2613.jpg

I have to be honest with you. When I first read your post my first thought was "They have to be joking!!! One person out of so many and from so long ago. This man must've surely passed by now." Now I have to say that I am sorry to have though that way because things tend to reveal themselves and work out in very strange ways. I have not come back to this thread since it was posted but today i saw a post in my IG feed about a man that has been playing his accordion for year inside Plaza Las Americas Mall, not too far from Old SJ. And after seeing the picyure below, I couldn't help but come back to the picture you posted and realize it was the same man!!!

His name is Don Emilio Molina and he is 99 years old!! Still playing. Still dressing sharp. Then I remembered his story about how he come almost every day tobthe food court area of the mall, grabs a chair or two and plays for tips. A few years ago the mall administraton decided they didn't want him playing there anymore, saying he was just loitering and kicked him out and told him not to return. The public outrage was son HUGE and the media backlash so bad that they welcomed him back and have never dared to say a negative word to this man.

So, in case you're still interested, it's a $14 one way taxi ride from Old San Juan, $18 from the airport to the mall. I truly do hope you can reconnect with him and maybe have someone around ti translate. Good Luck!!!

20191120_223548.jpg

• Like 3

Stinger, your post brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for posting!

Please, somebody post this story to ABC, CBS, NBC, USA Today, and any and all news outlets! Also to PR Tourism. Such a great story!

Thanks as I wipe a tear.😊

Wow! This is why I believe in miracles....

I am so happy to see this gentleman is still alive and playing! 99 years old, incredible!

My husband put the name you gave us on Google and we saw a photo of him on a Facebook page Fundacion Pisadas de Amor, playing at the mall. 

I contacted them right away and they were kind to reply that they do not know him or his family personally, but they said he is there everyday at the Plaza Las Americas shopping center in Hato Rey. 

I was at my ENT doctor appt yesterday morning when I first saw your reply. I was ecstatic. But unfortunately I was told I need surgery as soon as possible. I was so upset I couldn't even reply to this post.

But today I called and spoke with the nurse and she said if I am very careful and called them right away if I come down with anything, that I could go. I'm still undecided.

Fundacion Pisadas de Amor graciously offered to deliver the photo to him at the mall and send me a photo of it if I can't go.

After Stinger-PR finding him, I feel I was meant to go. 

I will let everyone know the outcome. Hopefully we are able to meet this man that touches my heart and brings back memories of Old San Juan every time I look at his photograph. I'll post it after I give it to him...😊

• Like 1

OMG, Linda.  Your post brought back memories to our trip to Hawaii in 1999.  We didn’t see him on our trip, but we went to a local Waikiki bar where Don Ho occasionally played.  I just checked & he has since passed in 2007; but I remember the 10 children they mentioned he had and was able to confirm that fact via Google.  These performers (famous or not) create everlasting memories.  Tiny Bubbles.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:50 PM, llarsen said:

Stinger-PR, I hope you see this message.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to come back on this thread and give me the information you found.

I'm very grateful.

Wishing you the best,

Linda

Trust me it was my pleasure! I am sorry about your health issues but i truly hope you can take the cruise if only for you to be able to meet the man. Heck, I'd even try to be there myself if I can get it to work around my job schedule!

Best wishes,

Angel

Angel, 

We are packed and plan to go on our trip, but that could still change. 

Our flight gets into SJ around 12:30pm on Friday the 29th. We are staying in Old San Juan and will leave our luggage and probably grab something to eat.

Do you have any idea what time he is usually at the Plaza Las Americas shopping center in Hato Rey? 

It's probably silly to think he would even want a photo of himself, I think it probably means more to me.

But when I see it I think to myself that if he was my dad or loved one, I would want to have it. 

I don't know if he has family. In our photo he has 2 rings on his hand but I didn't see them in another photo of him I found online with a young boy. He almost has the same expression as in our photo. I'll make a side by side pic.

Anyway, I will let you know before the 28th if we are headed to San Juan, and if you can make it to the mall it would be wonderful to meet you as well.

Take care,

Linda

DonSJ.jpg

Linda, while I know the area he usually plays at, I have no idea at what times he'd be there since I've not been to that mall in quite some times (even though I pass it on my way to work every day!!). I'm trying to think if I know anyone that works there but no names come to mind.

It would also be a pleasure to me you guys!

Success! We found our man and it was soooo worth it! 

I wasn’t feeling well yesterday after no sleep on our long overnight flight and didn’t think we would get the chance to find him. 

This morning before getting on our ship we took a taxi to the mall and heard music coming from the 2nd floor and there he was! Unbelievable. He was so kind and seemed happy after reading my (translated) letter and giving him some framed prints and gifts. 

Everyone there seems to love love him and have much respect for this 99 yr old gentleman. 

😊

F2A55E2C-3848-4068-A6E2-503A9C950371.jpeg

• Like 5

You guys have no idea how happy I am to have had a part in this reunion. It is so amazing that you guys were able to fulfill your quest of getting in touch with him after so many years. And I am so glad that you were healthy enough to have made the trip. Have a great cruise!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...