Help needed! Long Beach to Lax

dianeh

We realized our ship docks at 9 and not 7. Out flight to yvr leaves at 12:15! We have found out we can request early disimbarkation and we also have FTTF. Now we hear the port is a gone show with shuttles, cabs, ride shares. Any further advice to get through this mess and get on that flight would be appreciated. Lesson learned.😪😁😁😁😁😂

I've cruised twice from Long Beach.  It has been 12 years, but I'm sure things have not changed much.

The Taxi cabs are queued up ( lined up ), and wait their turn for passengers.  The rub here is that if a minivan is the first cab, then he will want to fill that minivan before taking off -- so that's a wait right there.  Then he will drop folks off, depending on where they wish to go -- more delay.

So what I do is start walking down the line until I find a sedan cab that only seats 2.  The person managing the cab line, or other cab drivers, will try to tell you that you cannot do this, but YES, you certainly can.  I did it every time.  Just ignore the other cab drivers or anyone else trying to direct you to the front cab and get in the sedan -- even if it's 8th in line, and tell the driver you want to go to LAX.  You will be as good as gold.

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dianeh said:

We realized our ship docks at 9 and not 7. Out flight to yvr leaves at 12:15!

This will be difficult. We last cruised out of Long Beach 2 years ago. Quickest way out is going to be Uber or Lyft which will let you skip any taxi lines (there aren't as many taxis lined up nowadays as when the previous poster was cruising based on our experience).

If you arrive at 9 the ship wont be cleared until 9:30ish. Figure the earliest you'd be in a car is 10 and it will be about a 30-40 minute drive if you don't hit any traffic which you most likely will hit a little at that hour.

In the very best scenario you JUST make it but it leaves absolutely no room for a delay of the ship itself, delay getting off the ship, misstep getting into a car to the airport, or traffic (and there can be nasty traffic even when you are on the airport property). I'd give serious consideration to a later flight. 

• Like 1

You shouldn't have any problems.  I cruise out of LB all the time.  We usually do 7 days and arrive back on a Saturday.  The freeways are pretty clear on the weekends.  We have a ton of luggage, but always get off first, grab a porter, I'm calling the hotel shuttle on my cell as were making our way through customs.  The shuttle finally comes drops us at our truck, and were on the freeway by 10 am latest.  You should be able to arrive at your gate at LAX one hour before your departure.  Making it a bit tight, but do able, maybe????

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, dianeh said:

We realized our ship docks at 9 and not 7. Out flight to yvr leaves at 12:15! We have found out we can request early disimbarkation and we also have FTTF. Now we hear the port is a gone show with shuttles, cabs, ride shares. Any further advice to get through this mess and get on that flight would be appreciated. Lesson learned.😪😁😁😁😁😂

Are you on the Panorama?  We are booked for Feb and have been told they are docking much earlier than 9 AM.

• Like 1

I've been watching Panorama and today it docked at 5:56 am in Long Beach, but I don't have any info on when passengers actually started debarking. I wish Carnival would update the itinerary on their website if the ship is going to arrive earlier. I would feel more comfortable booking an earlier flight then.

3 hours ago, rcoaster809 said:

I wish Carnival would update the itinerary on their website if the ship is going to arrive earlier. I would feel more comfortable booking an earlier flight then.

Theres clearly a reason why they put 9am. While the ship has been arriving earlier, someone in operations at Carnival must think that it can't be guaranteed that way every time. 

• Like 1