Southampton - arriving on foot

Adegb

If we are talking dock gate 8, then normally this is the road  entrance for city terminal, or it certainly has been for our last 2 RCI cruises.  Except when it's the boat show when 8 is closed and you have to use 10.

If we talking about something else then please ignore my ramblings.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If we are talking dock gate 8, then normally this is the road  entrance for city terminal, or it certainly has been for our last 2 RCI cruises.  Except when it's the boat show when 8 is closed and you have to use 10.

Yes, it’s dock gate 8.

6 hours ago, Adegb said:

Thanks John,

that's the kind of thing that I was concerned about.

It seems from what I've read everything is geared up for car arrivals.

If you have printed out documentation you should be fine they know the ship is there and you can prove you are there to embark legitimately.  My problem was the cruise ship was so late that they cancelled the berth.  We were provided with a coach to a Southampton distant hotel about 70 went to one hotel and 60 to another (small ship has max 171 passengers),  The following day we were told ship is so late and they could not book a Southampton berth or there was hotel non-availability that they had moved the cruise to Dover.  We had a coach to Dover am and another hotel overnight night, this time in Dover. It went downhill after that which most people thought not possible.

The upshot is if you walk up to the security gate and have printed documents and a passport they will let you through.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

OK'I stand corrected.We just happened to be there when the boat show preps were on.Just clarifies things for other members of the forum.Cheers.

Can I confirm that you can walk into Ocean Terminal. I have done this twice now from the hotel we use. I should say I scootered to the terminal. The first time without challenge the second I was asked where I was going I just shouted over to the man in the box Ventura and he pointed which way to go. I did it to save the faff of lifting my scooter into the car and out again for a 4 minute journey. My wife took he hotel Mercedes. 

We also use the BHC so little luggage.

Edited by daiB

Incidentally as regards Mayflower I would definitely not recommend walking there, it looks possible to walk from either dock gate 8 or 10 on google maps, but it would be quite a trek especially with luggage.  Even walking to dock gate 4 for Ocean would be a long walk from most hotels, maybe reasonable for Dai on his scooter but if you have luggage it would be tiring.  However if you use the BHC and only have an overnight rucksack, and its a lovely spring morning, then a it might make a nice leisurely walk from a nearby hotel.